Would You Like A New Orange Zero?

Ali C

Hey guys

I have not really thought this through much, so don't go getting all excited thinking there is a new frame coming out.

Putting it simply, Orange bikes are made about 8 miles from my house and I noticed on Facebook they are looking to decide what models to make in the future. I know people loved the old zero and people still love them now. It would be great if they made an up-to-date model with the new technology Orange can use and modern design ideas from both the trials world, and Oranges current bikes. It would be great to have a British made frame available from one of the best manufacturers in the world

What do you think? I am planning on getting in touch with them to see if they are interested, but it would be nice to have other peoples thoughts as well.

Would love to see orange back on the scene...especially with the new and improved ideas they are likely to be able to come up with compared to when they released the zero.

GO on ali son, make sure they have a current styled geometry though.

1085 - 1090mm

72 HA

+30 - +40 bb

380cs

and not stupidly light, because that generally means no strength, and no warranty. 1.8 - 2kg would be perfect.

then get a street model with 24 inch trials geo.

exactly like the old ET. best 24" geo ever

Sounds like a good idea to me. I always wanted an Orange Zero but never got round to having one. They would defo have to look at sponsoring a rider with the new frame though to appeal to the new generation of riders.

They should make a new modern frame, with similar tubing to the patriots and stuff like that, disc and maggy mounts etc.

How about custom geo? If they're made in England it can't be that hard to make one with custom geo.

lets not forget they looked awesome!

i would love a street slaying beast in 26" (although i guess most cool kids would prefer 24" (i would but i'd need new wheels, hmmm....))

the lovely 'pop' and spinning ability of the old model would have to be kept!!!

EDIT: and the seat! i would not have a 'street' bike without one, even if it was an uber-small bmx one

Edited by shamus

Ali tell them too look into making a 26inch street bike again, and fit a saddle on it.

Noones gone bk to making oldskool street frames and i think it needs to be done, sumthing around 1030 too 1045 that wud be perfect. Like the inspired but in 26inch. But im gonna guess they mite not like the idea, and they'll end up making a stupid hop hop frame which there are so many of these days.

idea anyway mate.

Has to be same invincible downtube as before but better chainstays and a less queer disc mount.

Still got mine hidden away in the garage pretty much perfect condition aswell. I was one of the lucky ones that it didn't snap on.

Edited by ZeroMatt

cool, looks like its something that has demand then. I am planning on showing them this topic if it shows people want a new Zero.

As for custom Geo, I very much doubt that will happen. Each Orange frame has a custom jig welded up to suit each size, these jigs cost thousands of pounds. so its much more likely just to be once size, be it comp, 24", street etc, that will be up to Steve and co at Orange to decide.

Echo 04 size and shape, horizontal drops with/or a decent tensioning system, vee mounts. Done.

I have to say though - I would say it would be likely they would bust out the old jig and make a few more zeros up, but very unlikely that they would do a new/redesigned frame...

And remember - Old zeros broke - the chainstays cracked around the bb area. They did ride nice though.

yeah, it would be nice to have a new frame, but like I said in my first post, this is just an idea. But I guess you don't get if you don't ask.

Would people want the origional zero? (maybe they can strengthen the chainstay a bit too?)

Making it with modern geometry would be the biggets mistake they could make. Perhaps ever so slightly updated and a touch smaller, but certainly don't go down the 1080, +30 etc route as that just adds another frame the same as everything else out there.

Something along the lines of the '04 Pure would definitely be the way to go about things. Horizontal drops would be nice but not essential, and vee mounts would certainly be sweet :P

It was a great old frame... but i am sure it wasn't british made. Think Orange did the design work and they were made in the far east somewhere, like almost all of the stuff we ride.

If they made it over here the cost of it would be far too high.

It was a great old frame... but i am sure it wasn't british made. Think Orange did the design work and they were made in the far east somewhere, like almost all of the stuff we ride.

I think they were £400 a frame back in the day. So you are probably looking at about £500 a frame now.

Ali tell them too look into making a 26inch street bike again, and fit a saddle on it.

Noones gone bk to making oldskool street frames and i think it needs to be done, sumthing around 1030 too 1045 that wud be perfect. Like the inspired but in 26inch. But im gonna guess they mite not like the idea, and they'll end up making a stupid hop hop frame which there are so many of these days.

idea anyway mate.

04 I think was the sweet one. That Rowan rode!

I think it would just be good to see another english brand back in the scene.

04 Echo Pure Short geo, with a Koxx style disc mount (between the stays), in vee and 4 bolt versions and I think you'd have a good seller ;)

Yep…..we need a 04 Pure remake (same geo). V mounts, 135 spacing & maybe horizontal dropouts. They would sell like hot cakes.

Stay away from the pogo stick geo.

any Orange with a folded downtube was made in the UK, they get some of the cheaper xc frames made in the east though.

I kinda agree about the 04 pure idea, that was one of the best frames I have had!