Chain Problems

pablotrial

hi people

i have just bought a bionic b-4 20" and i was setting up my chain and i couldn't. if i take out one link its too tight and if i put one more, the axle comes out of the dropouts,

thera are no half links available here,

mi chain is a brand new kmc bmx 1/2x1/8,

what can i do?

how can i make the chain to strech??

please heeeelp me i wanna ride mi bike

thats the frame only but i have the complete bike now

post-19415-1237945961_thumb.jpg

Whats that drilled freewheel and what are those cranks?

I'd made a little tensioner for my Echo once:

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....=123188&hl=

Some info dotted around in there about it. Worrked well though! I just used the plates and the spacer out of a jockey wheel and a nut and bolt through the little plate.

I had the same problem when I wanted to run 16:12 on my Python. I just put a nackered old freewheel on, put the chain on really tight and rode it around (not trials just cruising about the place, maybe a little bit of hopping around) for a few days so it stretched then it was perfect (Y) Didn't seem to weaken the chain at all because it lasted for months and months without snapping, only changed it because I changed my gearing to 18:12.

Muel, and those who asked: It's the new 108ep Worldcat freewheel, I believe? I saw pictures of it on Fatihbike.cn not long ago. The Americans have had those in stock for a while, maybe it's worth asking OTN for the lowdown on these.

For BMXs, we just buy an individual halflink and no more needs to be said. However since trials is a lot more drivetrain-dependent, it's a risk. Why not just run a halflink for a little while, a few days. Let the rest of the chain bed in and stretch, and then when you get fed up of the halflink just replace it with a normal link. Then since the chain's stretched already, it'll be better

edit: if it's a KMC kool chain, they do stretch quite a bit during the bedding in process

Edited by Sponge

Just to be sure, you are running 18:12, right?

On my Zona Zip, I have to run a half link, otherwise the wheel sits slammed forward in the dropouts, and I can't line my brake up, or it sits right at the very edge of the dropouts, and I can't line my brake up.

I've ran a half link in my chain for ages now, and it's been fine! Got one off the net for about £1 too.

THANK YOU FOR ALL REPLIES

very useful tips lol

really thank you

noo

the dirlled freewheel is a worldcat 72ep 09 model

and the freewheels are for some friends that included them in the shipping

than you guys, i think ill make the little tensioner until the chain streches or ill put the chain really thigt but in my 26 lol

thankss ;);)

Whats that drilled freewheel and what are those cranks?

I'd made a little tensioner for my Echo once:

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....=123188&hl=

Some info dotted around in there about it. Worrked well though! I just used the plates and the spacer out of a jockey wheel and a nut and bolt through the little plate.

the cranks are LZ 162 mm i bought them in colombia really cheap

the freewheel is worldcat 72 ep 09'

Just to be sure, you are running 18:12, right?

On my Zona Zip, I have to run a half link, otherwise the wheel sits slammed forward in the dropouts, and I can't line my brake up, or it sits right at the very edge of the dropouts, and I can't line my brake up.

I've ran a half link in my chain for ages now, and it's been fine! Got one off the net for about £1 too.

I snapped the one you gave me I'm ashamed to say. :(

I did modify it though so it was for the right chain thickness, I took it apart and ground the spacers down. :P

I've made a big, ugly, rattley twin wheel tensioner for it now, seems to work alright though.