Flared Headtube

Synergy

ok well a boy brought in an intense m1 to our bike shop, and the headtube is flared big style.

after looking on Tinternet we found out ways of fixing it.

welding the headset in :P

loctight.

is there an actualy way to fix it ? (i dont beileve there is)

No way of repairing, could bodge it but you'd be f**ked over when the kid goes into hospital and you wouldn't stand a chance in court / probably do time. And i'm guna have to agree with Sam on this one i'm afraid fatty. Its people seeing things like this from people who work in Halfords that give us all a bad name. Shame on you. :closedeyes:

Edited by Robwalker

It could be fixed, with a bodge, which isn't 100% safe or guaranteed, and its going to be more trouble than its worth. Personally I'd advise him on how he could fix it, but say its not safe and you cant carry out the work because you wouldn't be covered by insurance if it went wrong, but at the same time strongly recommend a new frame.

Glue in an unsealed headset for him? So he can change the bearings in time if they get rough? I know f**k all about this kinda stuff but seems like an alright bodge...

nah buddy its like.

if it was a trials bike and you took the forks out your headset cup should stay in the frame, but with his bike i can slide it out with one hand, when the forks are in i can spin the cup round and round.

hope that makes sense :)

It could be fixed, with a bodge, which isn't 100% safe or guaranteed, and its going to be more trouble than its worth. Personally I'd advise him on how he could fix it, but say its not safe and you cant carry out the work because you wouldn't be covered by insurance if it went wrong, but at the same time strongly recommend a new frame.

yeah well im really doing it as a favour just looking the bike over for him. anyother time a headtube is flares we say new bike nothing else. but as it is my friend and he asked i thought i would just see.

to be honest the chris king idea is the only one i would try at the moment.

yeah you shouldnt be able to do that lol.

they should be pretty hard to move as they are a pressed fit.

mine does it too...apart from having to make sure my headset is actually tight, it really doesn't make much difference to me.

Probably a bit different if you actually go places quickly over bumpy stuff though?

mine does it too...apart from having to make sure my headset is actually tight, it really doesn't make much difference to me.

Probably a bit different if you actually go places quickly over bumpy stuff though?

nope same with a trials bike if your headtube is flared its not good. if your going to be going to front it will damadge more and more and more. maybe not noticable first but it will.

Chris King/Nukeproof route is the safest IMO but i'd still be telling him to get saving. Did he buy it with a flared headtube?

yeah he bought it 2nd hand for 350 quid

its not bad the rest of the bike

needs new shock bushes , hope bulb bearings but allround apart from the frame its a bargain.

Have a look for some devconF, its an aluminised 2part epoxy putty that is used to repair gasket and flange faces (amongst others) in the aerospace industry, get some of that in there and get the headtube re-machined - should be near enough good as new, especially if combined with a deep set cup :)

Its not cheap though.