26 Inch Chain Tensioners

mr ailsbury

I'm building up a 26 inch at the moment and obviously i'm going to need a chain tensioner for it.

I've got a 2006 Echo Control frame and Chris King hub, just wondering whether its worth forking out for a 74kings or do the cheap ones work just as well?

I sidehop to the left so I guess that unless I'm on rails it shouldn't get too thrashed?

Rohloff is best bet, they were like £25 new on ebay a little while ago.

The Tensile/Try-All Rohloff copy looks pretty good, though I've never used one.

Any sprung double wheeled tensioner (even an old tensioner) seems to be the best bet, my old 74Kingzzzzzzzz was ok but splipped (Edit: splipped? Whatever) without enough chain wrap, and i bent a load of springs and thought it was pretty expensive for what it was.

Did someone not snap a spring soon after purchase?

I'm after a new tensioner too as I managed to snap off my Kingz on the London ride without noticing (thought it had just slipped) and the main bit is now sitting in a gutter on one of the bridges over the Thames. :(

Would be tempted by a Rohloff but they are a bit pricey...

I'm after a new tensioner too as I managed to snap off my Kingz on the London ride without noticing (thought it had just slipped) and the main bit is now sitting in a gutter on one of the bridges over the Thames. :(

i snapped the spring off one about 3 weeks after buying it lol

So the 74 kings is ok but its generally better to fork out a bit more and buy a Rohloff LINK ??

Then I assume i'll need one of these to fix it on? 'K' Hanger

Then will just a normal KMC Kool chain fit through it all?

Rolhoff = (Y) but far to expensive.

K Hanger yes, but don't pay £7, just ask someone on tf or something.

KMC = No no, KHE = (Y)

74kings style……I made a homemade one for zero dollars and has been running smooth for a year. I just love that I can land on my hanger and it doesn’t matter, the tensioner keeps working. But if your chain length doesn't come out right and you need two pullies then the Rolhoff is best.

I'm using a cut up DMR Simple Tension Seaker, Cut the axle mounting bit off so it's just on the mech hanger bolt, then just whack a massive nut and bolt through with a fairly large washer either side. Works a treat and hardly ever come's loose, when it does it hardly looses much tension anyway.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5777

Might be because I've been fairly luck to get away with a good chain length to start with...

th_DSCF2257.jpg

(click for larger)

74 Kings gets my vote, really don't like the tensile/rohloff, had one on it was sh*t!

What did you have- the Tensile or the Rohloff? Because they're quite different. The Tensile is almost identical to the Atomz and Try-All ones but the Rohloff is a different design completely.

Kinda tempted by a Rohloff at the moment. .. Do people go for the standard one or the shorter DH version?

Think I may go for a Rohloff from Tarty... From experience you defiantly get what you pay for with these type of things.

While this topic is fresh, what gear ratio do people generally use, i've got a 16 tooth and a 13 tooth cog on the backwheel, what crank/BB/chainring/bash set up do people use?

Also, headsets. I have an echo one on my Python and its OK i guess, not brilliant though, bit wobbly and used to creak a bit when I first had it. had it in 2006 and it still runs smooth though

Can't really afford to spend millions of dorrah on a King one, but don't want a Deng one either...

Edited by mr ailsbury

Think I may go for a Rohloff from Tarty... From experience you defiantly get what you pay for with these type of things.

While this topic is fresh, what gear ratio do people generally use, i've got a 16 tooth and a 13 tooth cog on the backwheel, what crank/BB/chainring/bash set up do people use?

Also, headsets. I have an echo one on my Python and its OK i guess, not brilliant though, bit wobbly and used to creak a bit when I first had it. had it in 2006 and it still runs smooth though

Can't really afford to spend millions of dorrah on a King one, but don't want a Deng one either...

Just take stroll over the bridge and casually pocket this one. :lol:

I was just thinking of getting a kings one as it looks nice and tucked away from danger but after the above posts I'm back to indecision land........

Matt

Don't bother with Rolhoff, As much as i like them, 74Kingz are still shit hot, Loads of people swear by them.

Ignore the 13th cog, Use the 16th cog, run 18th at the front and 16 at the rear and that gear ratio gives the best chain tension on a control.

Headset, FSA PIG DH PRO or an Orbit.

• 1 month later...

Didn't want to make a new thread so I thought I'd recycle this one. Just got a Rohloff tensioner and it doesn't line up with my sprocket at all... anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions. It's on my Fourplay with an Echo 135mm fixed singlespeed non disc hub (this one). Basically with no spacers so the Rohloff bolts directly onto the hanger the jockey wheel is still about 5mm from being in line with the sprocket on the hub. There's only so far you can space the sprocket out by because there's not much room for the lockring threads... Kinda stuck!

Edit: Kind got it bodged with washers and running a spacer behind the sprocket but it's not exactly ideal as the lockring is only on by about 1 thread...

Didn't want to make a new thread so I thought I'd recycle this one. Just got a Rohloff tensioner and it doesn't line up with my sprocket at all... anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions. It's on my Fourplay with an Echo 135mm fixed singlespeed non disc hub (this one). Basically with no spacers so the Rohloff bolts directly onto the hanger the jockey wheel is still about 5mm from being in line with the sprocket on the hub. There's only so far you can space the sprocket out by because there's not much room for the lockring threads... Kinda stuck!

Edit: Kind got it bodged with washers and running a spacer behind the sprocket but it's not exactly ideal as the lockring is only on by about 1 thread...

Tried spacing the jockey wheels out with washers?