Crack...

TrialZonn

Hi.

I ride a Onza Cleaner 26'' bike that's about 1 and 1/2 years old.

Yesterday,I received my rear wheel from my local bike shop and while I was tightening the bolts of the wheel I noticed a crack just behind the derailleur hanger...

What could made such damage to the bike?

I am not an experienced rider but I ride quite smooth and I hardly ever crash the bike on an edje...

Neither I do big moves like huge drops or hooks...

So...what should I do now?

Is there any way to weld this?

Or a new frame is needed?and if yes what frame?I can't spend much on a new frame and it's not sure that my parents will leave my buy one...

I searched a bit and found that http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?pr...;category_id=14

(this was the cheapest modern trials frame I found)

From your experience...whats the average life of a trials frame if ridden smoothly?

And which frame is strong and stiff?(I don't care about the weight)

If you have any other solution or modification that will save my frame please tell me...

Yes you can weld it or get someone to weld it and bring the shape back to original with various files.

If you cant weld you need someone that can TIG or (GTAW)

Also if the crack is really really fine and not opened up much you can oxy acceltelene weld it. If you take this option you will have to remove the paint all around the crack to about 4 inches away to be safe. This is to prevent any impurities getting into the weld.

It has to be really clean.

Having looked at it again the crack has opened a bit. you need to clean up inside the crack real good and push the metal back into place, you can Oxy/feul weld that but you need to find someone that is really good at oxxy/feul welding, preferably an old guy. not many young welders have been taught how to weld this way properly.

Much less than a new frame.

Matt

Edited by Matt Vandart

Thanks

The crack is as seen at the picture...You can see that it's opened and you can see the freewheel behind.There is also a small crack that starts near the hole where the bolt of the hanger should be.(I don't know if you can see it at the picture)

Edited by TrialZonn

If you can't get hold of a welder or a replacement, to try and get the last bit of life out of the frame you could use a small drill bit and put a hole at each end of the crack to try and stop it growing and just keep a close eye on it.

If you can't get hold of a welder or a replacement, to try and get the last bit of life out of the frame you could use a small drill bit and put a hole at each end of the crack to try and stop it growing and just keep a close eye on it.

Yes take a look at the picture please.

There is no space to make holes...

I am still waiting for an answer from Onza.I think that the warranty doesn't cover such situations but I want them to see this crack...maybe for a later upgrade on the next year's frames.