The Big Snow Storm Coming

Christophe'

I was thinking about this the other day. It seems stupid at first but when you think about, it makes sense. We have some gritter trucks but they only ever get used for a couple of days a year (sometimes not at all?), so it doesn't make sense to invest in loads and loads of trucks. When it snows properly (about once every 10 years, if that), there aren't enough gritter trucks, or the staff to drive them. Plus because they don't grit every day (like they must do in Canada), the gritter workers probably aren't used to it and therefore it takes them longer to do the roads. Meaning half the roads don't get gritted, but they're still fairly busy with drivers, so we end up with icy roads. British drivers rarely have to drive on ice, so they don't know about how to control a car when it slides. Therefore everyone is really cautious and slow, except for wreckless people who are the ones crashing.

Most people here drive to work. If they can't make it by car for the reasons above, there aren't too many alternatives. Then add in the novelty factor, and you can see why people would rather stay at home and build snowmen :P

Apparently it's not just Britain that has this problem - parts of France/Germany have the same level of bunking off when it snows.

Yeah I heard someone (Hendrix I think?) asking why they can't have snow plows on trains to clear the snow.

Well they could, but they'd have to spend millions on whats actually some very expensive plant thats gonna be sitting doing nothing all year round, except for maybe a few times every few years.

Its the cost:benefit ratio, its just not worth it.

I had Monday and Tuesday as my annual holiday - Derbyshire snow is horrific!

My mate picked me up yesterday as my car was blocked in. We never really acknowledged all the snow that had gathered on his roof...so we come down the main road, red light at the traffic lights so came to slow down. All of a sudden there was a really loud scrapping noise on the roof, then all the snow from the roof slid forward and onto the windscreen!

Made us both jump and we couldn't see a bloody thing!

Yeah I heard someone (Hendrix I think?) asking why they can't have snow plows on trains to clear the snow.

Well they could, but they'd have to spend millions on whats actually some very expensive plant thats gonna be sitting doing nothing all year round, except for maybe a few times every few years.

Its the cost:benefit ratio, its just not worth it.

That was my first thought about ploughs too, but what's wrong with putting a plough scoop on the front of normal train? Surely it could be retro fitted somehow when needed? If not, what about the machinery that is used to repair tracks? This is much more like heavy plant machinery and could definitely be made to take a plough. I don't think there's any real excuse for the rail network not to have a few of those floating about...

That's something else i don't get, as Tomm mentioned, the amount of people that crash.....

Drive to the conditions right? I see people tail-gateing people in these "compact snow/ice" conditions, then crashing and wondering why they crashed.

As has been said though, i suppose its because the UK isn't used to these conditions. Maybe "driving in snow/ice" should be added to part of the UK driving test, like something you're told about to help you drive safely when the weather takes a turn for the worst.

My mate picked me up yesterday as my car was blocked in. We never really acknowledged all the snow that had gathered on his roof...so we come down the main road, red light at the traffic lights so came to slow down. All of a sudden there was a really loud scrapping noise on the roof, then all the snow from the roof slid forward and onto the windscreen!

Made us both jump and we couldn't see a bloody thing!

Hahaha, I'd love to see that happen! :D

That was my first thought about ploughs too, but what's wrong with putting a plough scoop on the front of normal train? Surely it could be retro fitted somehow when needed? If not, what about the machinery that is used to repair tracks? This is much more like heavy plant machinery and could definitely be made to take a plough. I don't think there's any real excuse for the rail network not to have a few of those floating about...

I guess they wouldn't want a plough on the front of the train all year round, and even the ploughs themselves are super expensive. There probably are a few floatign around, but not enough to make much of a difference. Think about all the rail networks in the uk, if there were say 10 ploughs around they'd be able to clear a few lines, but nowhere near enough.

Maybe "driving in snow/ice" should be added to part of the UK driving test, like something you're told about to help you drive safely when the weather takes a turn for the worst.

That is a fair comment but its already in the highway code and theory test. but its only something along the lines of 'steer into the skid' which is utterly useless.

I think the main fault is in peoples outlook, they expect the road to be gritted, but are wary at first, as they drive along the main drags they get lulled into a false sense of security.

Next thing you know they are driving as fast as they would normally, paying as little attention as usual (or not driving to the conditions, however you would like to word it).

They hit an icy patch/ brake as hard as normal (which in less grip) results in a crash. then they blame the conditions.

I bet the rate of crashing in snowy countries (canada/norway etc) isn't as high as in britain during the 2 days of snow we get in a year.

I went out with a mate looking for snow the other day. We found a road on the moors so slippery that to get back we just turned the car around on the spot by pushing. but we didnt crash

I guess they wouldn't want a plough on the front of the train all year round, and even the ploughs themselves are super expensive. There probably are a few floatign around, but not enough to make much of a difference. Think about all the rail networks in the uk, if there were say 10 ploughs around they'd be able to clear a few lines, but nowhere near enough.

Hence the retro fitting bit, just fit them when needed to trains that are undercover when the snow falls. In regards to how much of a difference it would make, I just think about my local operator - Southern. Here's the map of their network:

overview.gif

Train goes to London Bridge, and does one big ass plough down to brighton then comes back up to Croydon, down to Uckfield, up to Hurst Green, down to East Grinstead, up to Croydon, down to Caterham, repeat for Tattenham Corner. That's a big ass segment done in like 4 hours NOT the 3 days it has taken for me to get on a train this morning only to get a rail failure and be delayed by half hour anyway.

In those 3 days, do you not think they lost enough money on those lines alone to pay a couple of grand for plough? And how long do ploughs last? Worthwhile investment, even if it only happens once every 10 years, in my eyes.

I'm not having a go, it just doesn't make logical business sense to me for them to have taken this long faffing around. Snow, although not common in this amount in this country, is something which DOES happen and DOES need a contingency plan.

Just because I'm mega mega sad. I also just found some stats for the amount of people passing into each station in the UK. I narrowed this down to just the Southern network and excluded season ticket holders because they wouldn't be spending money day to day. I then averaged this to a daily amount of people - 101,272. Let's assume (because there is a limit even to my sadness) that 20% of these people will have been able to get a train anyway during this period of cancellations and disruptions, which means that 81,018 people PER DAY couldn't make their journey (read as: BUY A TICKET AND GIVE SOUTHERN MONEY). Even if this is only £3 a ticket (which is ridiculously small) it means £243,053 revenue PER DAY lost.

Sure, they wont have been paying certain outgoings during this time but I doubt it would balance that out. I guess my whole argument rests on how much it would have cost them to buy, fit, and run a plough. I'm sure they have people who think like this, so really it's a meaningless rant but I'm bored at work so there we go.

Whilst I guess you're agrument stands well and good, I can't help but think that British Rail have been confronted by similar situations before regarding the plough and the costs of it...

...If they don't do it already, surely there must be a really valid reason why.

Whilst I guess you're agrument stands well and good, I can't help but think that British Rail have been confronted by similar situations before regarding the plough and the costs of it...

...If they don't do it already, surely there must be a really valid reason why.

I totally agree, I'm just hoping someone will point it out. It's probably hugely obvious but I just don't see it. One of those things that really doesn't matter in the long run but really gets on my tits.

99% chance its something to do with politics and budgets.

I agree with you JD it does sorta make sense having a few kicking around.

You know where they put sand on the tracks for extra grip? This could be mixed with road salt to help with low snow fall, though would probably be slightly ineffective for large snow drifts.

I'm not exactly a train engineer though!

99% chance its something to do with politics and budgets.

I agree with you JD it does sorta make sense having a few kicking around.

You know where they put sand on the tracks for extra grip? This could be mixed with road salt to help with low snow fall, though would probably be slightly ineffective for large snow drifts.

I'm not exactly a train engineer though!

Same, and definitely agree with what you're saying. There must be a way of getting round it though, how do the canadians/russians do it - anyone?

It's probebly to do with the snow covering hazards on the railway track. Rocks, people, broken rails, cars?

That's something I hadn't thought of, and makes sense in the health and safety world we live in.

It's STILL snowing in Basingstoke.

It's snowed for 3 days solid !

It's started snowing in Guildford again. :

tom stop moaning about the snow, everyone loves snow

but more to the point if theres snow in guilford and basingstoke why the f**k isnt it here???