Cranks Should Have Threads On Both Arms!

zoster

Hmm I could see it being a bonus for example if u cross threaded it, or if you wanted to like swap them over if one got really badly damaged, seems abit like ur trying to fix to a problem which isnt there.

The issue is if you put a left hand crank on the drive side, the pedal will self-loosen...

The Trialtech hubs are great like that because it gives you a second thread just in case you screw the other one up.

this two quotes pretty much answer everything.

just making some conversation..

plus it would increase the costs to manufacturers, they would have to offer everything with RHD and LHD increasing manufacturing costs.

This would bump up the price for the consumer and mean shops have to carry loads more of the same item.

For example: cranks in both LHD and RHD and all the various lengths

Meaning they will have less storage space/budget to hold the more popular lines.

As Adam rightly puts it the threads on both cranks would only work if the freewheels were manufactured in RHD and LHD and you ran a fixed rear end.

Otherwise its not worth it i reckon.

Edited by shamus

Unlike with mtb cranks, trials cranks have identical arms left and right. My try all cranks have identical arms. The only difference is the different pedal thread and the machined thread for the freewheel on the right cranks, but you can see that both arms came out of the same mold. Only the wire tapping is different.

Unlike with mtb cranks, trials cranks have identical arms left and right. My try all cranks have identical arms. The only difference is the different pedal thread and the machined thread for the freewheel on the right cranks, but you can see that both arms came out of the same mold. Only the wire tapping is different.

thats because trials cranks dont include a spider on them

You can't just switch side with the pedals because you will unscrew the sprocket. It has to be threaded the opposite way. From what I could see on the pics of the trialtech hub both sides was threaded the same way and a sprocket on the left side will unscrew it self if you not pedal backwards.

I may not have thought this through properly.... but...

Assuming you have the correct crank on the correct side of the BB (so the pedals don't self loosen as Adam said), with a choice of thread you could put your whole drive chain on the other side so as not to damage it if you sidehop to the right.

=D

(or not)

Assuming you have the correct crank on the correct side of the BB (so the pedals don't self loosen as Adam said), with a choice of thread you could put your whole drive chain on the other side so as not to damage it if you sidehop to the right.

=D

(or not)

Would make no real difference. For one it is very hard to land on your drive system with a sidehop and two most people run a bash anyway.

=D

(or not)

You could have a drive chain on both sides lol incuse you chain snaps.