Rear Freewheel

skinny paul

Any one use a freewheel on the back?

Pretty much every BMX does this and the Koxx Acidrop is an example of a trials bike with this setup (Though the geometry on my Acidrop is more street then trials)... No reason it can't be done. Using the freewheel on the front allows smaller cogs to be used, improving BB clearance and potentially moving the centre of gravity of the bike forward, which makes front freewheel worthwhile on a trials bike but not essential by any means...

Pretty much every BMX does this and the Koxx Acidrop is an example of a trials bike with this setup (Though the geometry on my Acidrop is more street then trials)... No reason it can't be done. Using the freewheel on the front allows smaller cogs to be used, improving BB clearance and potentially moving the centre of gravity of the bike forward, which makes front freewheel worthwhile on a trials bike but not essential by any means...

Re-read the post dude! He asked for those who use a rear freewheel to post a picture of it! He didn't want a life long biblical story telling him that it can be done -.- as his post plainly states that he knows that its possible.

Go get your self a cup of coffee and wake up :)

Have a nice day :)

edit: Skinny use better punctuation haha!

Edited by Anton

Doubt youll find any top spec bikes with them on so you wont be able to get pictures from one of them, may be a 24inch bike may be. Otherwise its a case of going on tarty and looking at cheapish bikes on there or any other site as it these bikes where they are used

Re-read the post dude! He asked for those who use a rear freewheel to post a picture of it! He didn't want a life long biblical story telling him that it can be done -.- as his post plainly states that he knows that its possible.

chill your bean dude

hes only helping and stateing why it would be better to use one on the front, for all he knows the lad doesn't have a scooby doo. And if he does then big deal he can just say.

Edited by basher

rear freewheel is used quite often; for example a mate of mine used one on a t-poo hub on his control mod-stock, worked okay; although the lock-ring comes loose occasionally

however; due to the fact that FFW are designed for the front; the lock-ring is threaded the opposite way, and thus would make it come loose if used on the back of a bike, same with a RFW used on the front

Freewheels are the same whether they're used on the front or the back - the lockring unscrews clockwise away from the hub/crank it's been screwed onto on all of them I've seen (Necessary to stop thread precession from unscrewing them in use). The ENO freewheels a huge number of people (Including me) find excellent on the front of our trials bikes were designed to go on the back of BMXes.

Edited by psycholist

edit: Skinny use better punctuation haha!

:wub:

I want to use a freewheel on the back so i can use a trialech hub, but i want to keep my middleburns so just wanted to see how they looked on a nice spec'd bike.

They look fine, what bike you got. Middleburns and a rear freewheel suit my bike anyway. check out this!

Pretty much every BMX does.

You reckon? Seeing as the smallest freewheel you can get is 13T and anybody who's anybody runs a maximum of 11T on the back these days I'd say the majority of BMXers run cassette hubs of one sort or another.

And yeah, main reason against running an ENO on the rear is because you'd need to run a 22T ring on the cranks which is pretty big by todays standards.