Viz / Trialtech / Track-hub Fixed Hub (116)

zoster

Hi all!

I'm looking for a mod rear fixed hub, and i won't pay more than 50gbp for it (it's a FIXED hub for zulu's sake!)

so my options would be (sealed bearings is a must):

1) viz

2) trialtech

3) or a track hub. i'm not sure about these ones. not sure if they come in 32H (for my future trialtech rim), not sure if they are necessarily heavier than trials ones, not sure if they are all 14mm axle (that's not really an issue since i'm building a custom frame), not sure the thread is the same for trials sprockets (not really necessary as long as i can find a 14T one to fit, not sure if these would have steel threads instead of alloy (this would be an advantage i guess)

one more thing. stripping threads on fixed hubs/ cranks is really an issue? does it happen often? (i'm not a hardcore rider so probably i won't have a problem with this, whichever hub/cranks i'd buy, but for my curiosity..)

thanks for reading!

Z

There called Flip flop hubs, it's for putting 2 different sized cogs on to try different gear ratios, or so i'm told....

don't really see the use unless you change between one and the other oftenly (maybe for urban/natty), which would be kind of weird since the cs length would modify unless you changed the chain as well each time..

don't really see the use unless you change between one and the other oftenly (maybe for urban/natty), which would be kind of weird since the cs length would modify unless you changed the chain as well each time..

Yeah it is a strange feature, not sure many people use/used it but i think most hubs with it have been discontinued now bar the Viz.

It's also if you wanna renew your drivetrain, and as it gets so tight, you can just whack the new one on the other side instead of efforting to get the old one off... Or if you can't get a freewheel off and you wanna use a fixed sprocket, vice versa.

Edited by Fixed Pants™

one more thing. can the trialtech hub be used without snail cams? ( i'm new to the whole mod hub thing and 110 axles)

You can use chaintugs inside the frame if you prefer, or if you don't like chain tensioners in any way you will need a 3mm thick spacer on each side.

You can use chaintugs inside the frame if you prefer, or if you don't like chain tensioners in any way you will need a 3mm thick spacer on each side.

well, i'm buiding a custom steel frame, and i asked the guy that's building it (marino) to make something like this on it (and he said he can do it):

post-13202-1231629540_thumb.jpg

therefore i'm thinking of asking for 110 rear spacing, so i don't have to use washers, and i can still use chain tugs if i want, and mount them on the outside. i just won't be able to use snail cams but i understand they're the last option in many people's opinions.

Get it 116mm spacing and use spacers or put tugs inside anyway just don't use it. This way you can always use a 116mm hub if need be. Better still get the frame 135mm with horizontal dropouts. That way you will be spoilt for choice with hubs rather than being restricted with mod hubs.

You may like the look of the V!Z bolts but you will strip them really quick. Replace them as soon as you get one. You can still use the outer piece though. I've had my V!Z for a long while now and it's pretty darn good, except for the bolts. Just wish it had a disc mount on it.