Wrong Way Round...!

r2wtrials

I have never had a good answer to this...

Why is it that the europeans and the yanks mostly have the brakes switched around... rear on the right and vice versa?

Now for me it would be almost impossible to get used to as i am a motorcycle trials rider and i find that the time using the clutch (on the left) is roughly the same as the when you use the rear brake on the biketrials. Because of an on going wrist injury on my left side i did consider swapping but dread the time getting my brain into gear about it..!

So what is the history or reason for the swap?

I have never had a good answer to this...

Why is it that the europeans... have the brakes switched around... rear on the right and vice versa?

I hear you . On the rare occasions that I meet fellow trials riders here in Holland and am free to try out their expensive shiny bikes I'm restricted to a few tenative backhops and trackstanding 'cause I learned whilst in the U.K so am pretty much unable to operate bikes with the freaky Euro set up .

I ride with my brakes the 'wrong' way round, no particular reason other than i want to be different, it wasn't overly hard to get used to it, took about a week or so maybe ? Once your used to it it's no biggie, although it's crucial to warns friends before hand, especially with mega sharp brakes :P

It's a bit of a pain if your buying disc brakes with reservoirs, means you have to switch the levers round apposed to running them upside down, i'm lazy so can't be bothered with the hassle :P

Front brake on the left is a convention from road bike brake setups. Shimano and Campagnolo road bike brakes are designed for the cable routing from the rear brake to go down the left hand side of the frame, and flow neatly, across the headtube and into the right hand lever, and the cable enters the front brake on the left hand side and crosses over neatly with a nice flowing cabe line into the left lever, giving really nice flowing cable lines. A lot of British road cyclists use their brakes the 'continental' way, for this reason.

Front brake on the right was introduced by some British road cyclists, from 'back in the day', when brakes were shite, because most people are right handed, and the majority of the braking power on a conventional bike comes from the front wheel. It kindof stuck in this country, but not really anywhere else!

Yes, that was my point. The explanation about the road cycles above makes sense i guess but as you say as far as i am aware the front brake on a motorcycle has always been on the right. As i started riding motorcycles when i was 4 years old (39 years ago!), i think it would take a fair while to get used too... and i ride motorcycle trials as well and won't be swapping my clutch over!!! :)

Edited by r2wtrials

It makes more sense for every type of cycling but trials to put the front brake on the right to give maximum stopping power and control for right handed people. I'm left handed, so putting the back brake on the left makes sense for the extra back brake control, but if the brakes were the other way round day one, I'd have just used them as they were as I'm not 'strongly' left handed. The question then boils down to 'What is the rational for US/Euro riders to run swapped brakes in the first place and where did that come from?'

I'm pretty sure bicycles predated motorbikes by over a century (Though the same technology that allowed bicycles to work well, namely steels strong enough to make a mass producable, reliable chain drive and bearings also made internal combustion engines possible), so the first brake lever almost certainly turned up on a bicycle... Which wheel it operated on is anyone's guess though...