Phat Pads & New Phat Backings

Phatmike

Whoa there Nelly... Explain?

Never had a problem in 8 years. Whats your beef?

Calm down love...

My "beef" is that they flex way too much, the pads wear at funny angles, they roll too much, and I've heard of a few snapping. I cracked one and I don't even give them a hard time.

I wasn't talking cost, simply stating what I thought. Maybe I should have either explained myself or not said it though...

I'm not actually annoyed by the way, I didn't know anyone said 'whats your beef' or 'whoa there Nelly' in seriousness.

Anyways, yeah I can see that Phatpad alu backings are alot better than plastic ones, I was just wondering what issues you had with Powerpad backings specifically (as opposed to OEM Magura ones or those no-name jobbies) that are virtually identical.

I have to say though, I've NEVER had a problem with plastic backings apart from the short Cousts from years ago (rolled too much and the O ring went) and Rimjam white ones (snapped).

Ok, fair enough you mentioned about the plastic backings flexing and all that.

But... I've heard that with CNC'd backing they can crack your pistons. They can snap the wee bit it clips onto, They do cost more. And what Muel said earlier, with these ones because they are so slim you need to sand down your prongs? :blink:

I've never tried CNC'd backings before so when I have the money i'm pretty certain after reading these reviews that I will get some Phat pads.

But I really hope nothing breaks on my piston! Haha. I'm not really a fan of sanding stuff down either but hey.

:P

I'm not actually annoyed by the way, I didn't know anyone said 'whats your beef' or 'whoa there Nelly' in seriousness.

Anyways, yeah I can see that Phatpad alu backings are alot better than plastic ones, I was just wondering what issues you had with Powerpad backings specifically (as opposed to OEM Magura ones or those no-name jobbies) that are virtually identical.

I have to say though, I've NEVER had a problem with plastic backings apart from the short Cousts from years ago (rolled too much and the O ring went) and Rimjam white ones (snapped).

Ah right, nah up here phrases like that are only ever said when arguing. :lol:

Thinking about it it might well have been the maggy ones I had trouble with, it was a set of citrus pads anyway I used for a couple of weeks before I got the Phatpads, they seemed to work well but they flexed loads, the backings were actually bent when I took the material out (Experimenting with different methods just for future reference), and one had cracked in one of the corners in the centre where the prongs sit, didn't really inspire me with confidence...

My mate had a set of the rimjam backings, they lasted about 3 weeks, brand new aswell.

But... I've heard that with CNC'd backing they can crack your pistons. They can snap the wee bit it clips onto, They do cost more. And what Muel said earlier, with these ones because they are so slim you need to sand down your prongs? :blink:

I've never tried CNC'd backings before so when I have the money i'm pretty certain after reading these reviews that I will get some Phat pads.

But I really hope nothing breaks on my piston! Haha. I'm not really a fan of sanding stuff down either but hey.

Nah you don't have too, but I reckon that if you want to use all of the pads up, you might have to take a couple of mm off the ends of the prongs, or just set it up with a load of TPA. We used to do it with plastic backings when the prongs started to rub the rim, it's not hard.

I've heard of the heatsink ones snapping the pins off, but they're a lot tighter on the piston than my PhatPads. I can't see how they can snap the prongs off, they put as much pressure on the prongs as the plastic ones I would have thought?

Nah you don't have too, but I reckon that if you want to use all of the pads up, you might have to take a couple of mm off the ends of the prongs, or just set it up with a load of TPA. We used to do it with plastic backings when the prongs started to rub the rim, it's not hard.

I've heard of the heatsink ones snapping the pins off, but they're a lot tighter on the piston than my PhatPads. I can't see how they can snap the prongs off, they put as much pressure on the prongs as the plastic ones I would have thought?

Alright thanks.

You ever heard Of CNC'd backings actually cracking the piston itself? :S

:P

If the backings have a play...probably has to do with tolerance and whatever else the backings suffer from constant braking...still ponder how the Rock blue's sometime explode in half.

With that said I've checked my slave cylinders and they look fine. Phat pads have a very tight fit as in it doesn't wiggle around.

Alright thanks.

You ever heard Of CNC'd backings actually cracking the piston itself? :S

I had 2 - 3 sets of calipers get broken, the prongs that guide the pad broke off......

I've heard of the Heatsinks doing it, not heard of the Phatpads doing it though.

They have not had enough time yet, mine usualy broke after 5-6 months of constant use of the CNC backings.

Adam

I had 2 - 3 sets of calipers get broken, the prongs that guide the pad broke off......

They have not had enough time yet, mine usualy broke after 5-6 months of constant use of the CNC backings.

Adam

Assuming they will make the piston last longer than the Heatsink ones, if they are gonna get broken you should get a good 10 months out of them?! :P

Assuming they will make the piston last longer than the Heatsink ones, if they are gonna get broken you should get a good 10 months out of them?! :P

Why would they make the piston last longer than the heatsinks? after all they are both CNC backings, If anything i think they may cause it to break sooner as there seems to be a little more movement of the pads on the piston and between the guides on the cylinders. I am not bashing Mikes backings, they are very nice, but i don't think they are quite 100%.....

Then again i am a big rider which means my brakes do experience alot of force.....

Adam

Don't forget that it's more of a failure of the brake caliper than the backing, although it is true that some CNC backings cause this quicker than others (Rim Jams spring to mind as the worst).

I'd imagine with Deng calipers being made out of a higher quality metal (as it would seem at least) they will last much longer.

Ashley. :)

The outstanding material has been made up today, and is finally ready to go!

Remaining orders will be packaged up tonight, ready to be sent out tomorrow morning for delivery on Monday/Tuesday.

I hope the delays haven't put anyone else ordering these pads!

Ashley. :)

The outstanding material has been made up today, and is finally ready to go!

Remaining orders will be packaged up tonight, ready to be sent out tomorrow morning for delivery on Monday/Tuesday.

I hope the delays haven't put anyone else ordering these pads!

Im shure everyone has heard ......Good things come to those who wait.....(Y)

Cheers for the pads Mike they are so good they have so much bite hold and noise put them on a dead grind first and they worked really good gave my rim a fresh grind they went even better :) thank Mike and they bed in so fast on the dead grind :o

test :)

Jamie :) :) :) :) :)

Edited by JamieWilliams