Anyone Know About Connecting Laptops To Tv's?

JT!

Got a 15 pin monitor thingy to the blue green and red things to the back of the tv. Changed the picture source on the tv to aux, and been into display setting but can't get the picture or sound on the tv.

Any ideas? Thanks!

A lot of laptops have a button you need to press - like function + F7 or something. It's often different and sometimes you would have to reboot with the cable plugged in the laptop, sometimes not etc. So basically read the laptop's manual.

A lot of laptops have a button you need to press - like function + F7 or something. It's often different and sometimes you would have to reboot with the cable plugged in the laptop, sometimes not etc. So basically read the laptop's manual.

Fn f5, but when the menu comes up it only has a laptop icon. I did reboot and slight bits of the screen came up, although it was repeated 3 times. :S

Yeah when i first re-set after reading that i may have to be when the text came up at the start it was kinda repeated 3 times across the tv, but when windows loaded up there was nothing.

Sorry i was in the middle of trying to get it to work and getting generally pissed off.

My laptop only has the 15 pin monitor port, and when my gf's brother plugged in his xbox he did that with the white red and yellow cables. So i searched about on ebay for a 15pin to red white and yellow jacks which i found and bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3DLVI%26ps%3D54

I plugged them in as it says to on there. Then went to the display settings as pressing fn+f5 to change the display output didn't work. So after an hour i decided to change the cables round and see what happens. I was doing that when i'd reset my laptop and it was doing that scan disc checking thing it does when you turn off without powering down properly and that showed up 3 times on the tv set split vertically. And each third wasn't very clear either.

Also, i noticed there's a s video female port in the back of the tv. Should i be using that?

I had this trouble with my laptop and t.v, i pluged it in by the t.v slot on the back of the t.v and i could only get sound no picture. We thought it might be a bad lead but got a new one and was still doing the same, tried rebooting it with it in but didnt have none of it.

Sorry i was in the middle of trying to get it to work and getting generally pissed off.

My laptop only has the 15 pin monitor port, and when my gf's brother plugged in his xbox he did that with the white red and yellow cables. So i searched about on ebay for a 15pin to red white and yellow jacks which i found and bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3DLVI%26ps%3D54

Well, looking at your post and that link, at least one of us is blind.

You've bought a component cable, and I'm guessing your TV doesn't accept component in. The xbox was plugged in via composite video (the yellow lead) and the sound was coming through the red and white cables. Two different things, which confusingly use the same jacks.

I think what most people are failing to grasp is that the 15pin VGA output on their laptop is purely a video ouput, therefore regardless of the leads they buy it will not output sound. To get the sound on your TV you'll need to get a 3.5mm headphone jack connected to your laptop to either another 3.5mm heaphone jack or red and white phono connectors on your TV.

• 2 months later...

Round 2. FIGHT

So i've given up on my laptop and i've moved onto the wifes. She has an s-video port. So what cables do i need to get picture and sound from that onto a tv?

Depends on the input on your tv... Personally i wouldn't bother with S-video, just because it has such an awefull image quality, especially on a tv! The colours are rank!!!! But if you really want to you will probably need an s-video to composite video adapter/cable like so and then a jack to RCA cable to output your audio to the tv like so That's all you'll need to output laptop video and audio to your tv (S-video to Composite/RCA)

Depends on the input on your tv... Personally i wouldn't bother with S-video, just because it has such an awefull image quality, especially on a tv! The colours are rank!!!! But if you really want to you will probably need an s-video to composite video adapter/cable like so and then a jack to RCA cable to output your audio to the tv like so That's all you'll need to output laptop video and audio to your tv (S-video to Composite/RCA)

So sound will travel through the s-video port as well as the picture?

Oh, ok. Didn't read that properly.

So I've got the choice of the jack, or an s-video port (int he back of our tv) which should i go for, or doesn't it matter?

Like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/GOLD-15Ft-S-Video-S-VH...:0|293:1|294:50

Or

http://images.marketplaceadvisor.channelad...AUD8_2_it_L.jpg

Would that one do the full monty?

Edited by JT!

Why are you needing to convert from S-Video if your laptop has an output for it? :S

S-Video (usually) consists of a 4 pin plug (ground, ground, intensity and colour) and will carry video only. You'll need the 3.5mm audio jack to carry the sound to the television, however you're laptop will still play through the speakers if the sound is not a problem?