Seat For The 24" Dudes...

Mark W

Eclat have just released their 'Complex' seat/post combo. I've got the non-joined seat (Same shape and size, without a built-in post) and it's super good, but yeah, it's essentially like the old mini seats, but betterererer and comfier. They're £20. Thought some people on here might be interested.

eclat-complex-seat-padded.jpg

The post has a metal sleeve built into it so it won't crushed when you tighten it. Weight wise, they're 216g (30g less than an Inspired Pivotal seat alone). You'd need a spacery majigger to run them in some frames 'cos they're made to be 25.4mm, but if you want a light, cool looking little seat setup they might be worth a look-in.

If I had a ruler, I'd measure mine. I'll try and find something...

penis joke coming

I do have a ruler - 215mm from tip of the nose to the tail

success !!

seats look cool - i seem to remember some other versions got posted up a while ago .... with them now at that weight - I feel the need of the return of the seated stock ...

KHE released pics of their's, but 1) KHE suck massive amounts of dick. 2) Their seat design itself was shit. 3) It wasn't as light ;) 4) They looked shit. 5) It's made by KHE, so it's bound to have a massive built-in flaw like every other product they make...

As a bit of a background, Eclat is the 'top drawer' aftermarket parts company from WeThePeople, who make awesome stuff. WTP completes are f**king sweet and their aftermarket stuff is awesome too, so bearing in mind this is the creme de la creme of WTP's aftermarket stuff: Bueno.

I looked at getting one of these a while back after seeing that:

- They were cheap

- They're an all in one unit

- They're light and slimline

- They were to be out in October

I didn't get one because:

-They're an all in one unit - if the angle's not right it'll be gash

- They weren't out in October

Any chance of a pic on a bike at all, Mark?

Apologies for drifting slightly off-topic, but Mark you mentioned KHE products being horribly unreliable, basically, I haven't really owned any KHE parts, I do know that you run/once ran the Geisha Street, did you begin to run into major problems with it and went for something else? I've been hunting down coasters for a little while now, for my flat; All of 'em seem to be either KHE-type or Nankai. I'm heavily leaning towards a Nankai Bamboo as it seems people blow out the bearings far less on these. As for the KHE-type ones, are the Reverses still shitting the bed early? same for the Federals? I'm hoping the new Geisha Light isn't crapping on itself already.

That seat combo looks awesome, how is it joined together? Some kind of epoxy resin or bonding glue of some sort? It's nice... but the post is about 300mm too short for me :P

EDIT: Also, looking at Eclat's Midkit on their site there; it's a 'lil different to most. Are the bearings a different quality to the usuals you see around in Midkits? I've always wondered if there was a hierachy...

Edited by Sponge

Not something i'd buy. But for the people that are after a slim and light weight seat then i guess it's a go. I do wonder if they take off in the bmx world, especially since people like breaking the noses off the pivotal seat. You'd have to check your seat angle too before buying.

Hmm, anyone fancy a Shadow Slim seat?! :P

I stripped my Shadow slim seat. Cos I was sick of water being soaked in it.

Then I thought I would get the Odyssey Mike Aitken seat, seeing that it was "water-resistant", and then the inspired seat came out.

But I guess I'll sort other parts like brakes, then lastly the seat, haha.

They look quite nice, but how slammed are they? They look like they just sit parallel with the frame :/

I don't entirely get what you mean? You can slam them lower than a normal seat what with the seat itself being thinner, and there being no guts. As for the seat-angle, it's a right angle to your seat-post angle, so it's always going to be nosed up slightly unless you're rocking some sweet road bike steez...

Apologies for drifting slightly off-topic, but Mark you mentioned KHE products being horribly unreliable, basically, I haven't really owned any KHE parts, I do know that you run/once ran the Geisha Street, did you begin to run into major problems with it and went for something else? I've been hunting down coasters for a little while now, for my flat; All of 'em seem to be either KHE-type or Nankai. I'm heavily leaning towards a Nankai Bamboo as it seems people blow out the bearings far less on these. As for the KHE-type ones, are the Reverses still shitting the bed early? same for the Federals? I'm hoping the new Geisha Light isn't crapping on itself already.

That seat combo looks awesome, how is it joined together? Some kind of epoxy resin or bonding glue of some sort? It's nice... but the post is about 300mm too short for me :P

EDIT: Also, looking at Eclat's Midkit on their site there; it's a 'lil different to most. Are the bearings a different quality to the usuals you see around in Midkits? I've always wondered if there was a hierachy...

KHE coasters - driver bearings blow out on all of them, and the drive-side hub bearings blow up. That's 3 out of the 4 bearings in the hub that fail consistently. Not ideal. The Lite, due to the 3-piece axle, didn't blow the driver bearings much, but the hub bearing still suffered. I also ran pegs for an hour and bent the axle.

The Eclat Mid BBs are the same as any others, pretty much, just with fancier spacers. I've got an Eclat BB in now and it's smoother than my old one, but this is both new, and pressed in properly, not hammered (with love) in.

Any chance of measuring the distance from the back of the post to the tail? Please :)

I don't have one of the built-in-post ones, so no dice, sorry!

In "Massive piss-take" news, Deluxe have also got one on the go now too:

img_0233.jpg

Bearing in mind they're a self-proclaimed core trails company, who do everything with no gimmicks and no frills, that seems a bit weird. Caaaaash coooooow.

would be nicer if instead of having to clamp it, the post was splayed, with a wedge inside. That way the seat could be tightened using an allen bolt which sits recessed in the surface of the seat pad.

This could also allow for angle adjustment (in the manner usually used on with bmx seats with recessed bolts), all in one smooth move, while still looking clean as fook!

just an suggestion though :D

would be nicer if instead of having to clamp it, the post was splayed, with a wedge inside. That way the seat could be tightened using an allen bolt which sits recessed in the surface of the seat pad.

This could also allow for angle adjustment (in the manner usually used on with bmx seats with recessed bolts), all in one smooth move, while still looking clean as fook!

just an suggestion though :D

I think the main seller of this is seat is the weight. I doubt anyone would buy it for it's (lack of) comfort anyway. And as it's bmx and the super light bmx frames mostly come with integrated seat clamp it isn't needed. Otherwise your right.

• 2 months later...

Appology's for the massive bump but where can you buy these online?

Eclat's website refers you to 'hotwheels.com' and on that site they just name local bike stores that sell these products. any chance on a site that sells them??