Rims - How To Put On?

maxpark3r

So you've bought a rim, and want it built onto the hub?

Best thing to do is to take it to a decent bike shop with a good wheel builder, as I'm guessing that you're fairly new to working on bikes, so building a new wheel wouldn't be the best place to start learning...

I've built one 32/3 cross road wheel with minimal instruction and it turned out just fine - even though it took me forever. I think with that wiki/link he could at least learn to lace the wheel and maybe take it to a bike shop so they can true it proper. Save him some money in the long run and learn the basics of wheel building. The link has me interested in lacing up my stock rims, as it's much more informative that what I had when I was learning the basics.

Either way, good luck to you!

I saw a link to Sehldon Brown's site posted in trials chat, which reminded me of another great resource for information. The site's a bit of a hassle to find certain information, but it's a great resource. Read up and build your first wheels! It really isn't that hard with a little practice and time. Like I said before, maybe you could let the experts true it for you proper to save a few bucks.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#getting

If your getting a rim thats the same (or very nearly) on both the ERD, the spoke offset and the number of spoke holes then changing a rim is easy and you don't need to take the wheel apart. Put the rim ontop of the wheel with the valve holes lined up and tape it to the wheel. Undo each nipple (if your not keeping the old rim then you can undo it all the way in one go rather than working your way round) then take the nipple off and move the spoke from the old rim to the new one, keeping the other end of the spoke in the hub. Work your way right the way round the rim and hey presto, a built wheel. Then all you need to do it tighten and true it.

Yeh tyres are easy to put on. Make sure you get the direction of rotation the right way round (not backwards)

I used to run my minions/ high rollers backwards, didn't roll quite as well, but hooked up on walls and the like nicely.

No dont take it to a bike shop.

I can build wheels, and have done, but i still take my trials wheels to my LBS! He's the stuff of legend among the old-schoolers, and even when i've seriously beaten a wheel made by him, it's done it no harm at all, when other people's home-built wheels buckle.

All depends on how good your lbs is, imo. (and when you get to know them, the price of a build/ spokes goes down considerably ;) )