A Strange Beast!

middleageman

Top quality posts middleageman

I personally ride stock. I started off on mod but didn't get on with it very well.

I found I'm allot more accurate with where I'm placing my wheels on a stock.

I hope I have been able to help . I really liked your 1st post (Y)

What a refreshing break from all the non-sensical banter, these days :)

Thanks for that.

Bear in mind not to rule out 24" straight the way.

Most people will say stock, and I'm not saying don't get one - just do some fair research first.

I'm taking a HUGE first impression on your posting style, and thinking that you like to be a bit different, and if you don't care either way, you just ARE a bit different :)

If you rode a lot back in the day, you might like to get into the streety* side, and maybe get a 24" - though you might just want a streety 26". That much is your choice really...

If you really HAVE turned a new leaf (or about 50 leaves, in this case) and want to get into the TGS**, and bashy*** side of trials, look into a stock. (Again - I'm taking a massive assumption that you'll be about 5'8" upwards. Most people over that size tend to feel cramped on a mod, and it holds them back)

www.trashzen.com is your friend. Use and abuse her. She tells you of all the techniques, and is the source around half the forum learned how to ride from. The other half of the forum are the kids with parents who have too much money, and just demand answers of people.

Please don't be put off by the forum. The people are much friendlier in person. ePenises are a big deal 'round these parts, apparently :P

Also remember that there is much more to a bike than whether it's a stock, mod or 24". The GEOMETRY of the frame is incredibly important. Expect a LOT of confusion trying to figure it all out. It's impossible not to go through it, when starting out.

I don't have time to delve into it at the moment - plus the fact it'd turn this post into more of an essay than it already is :P - but feel free to add me to MSN (flipp@flowflys.co.uk) for any information :)

Enjoy your stay.

Flipp.

* Search Danny Macaskill, Chris Akkrigg, or Ryan Leech on youtube. Note that you can ride street - riding in a town - or natural (rocks). Streety riding is a style of riding, aswell as a location. Street type riding involves a lot more innovation, manuals and spins than TGS.

** Search Damon Watson, Neil Tunnicliffe, or CLS (Craig Lee Scott) on youtube. It's a more modern style of riding, in which the three previously named riders are/were exceptionally talented.

It is named after the three moves used most commonly in their riding. They are - in most people's opinion - over used, though there are variations and other moves used, aswell. Taps, Gaps and Sidehops (or "sidehops", as the TGS riders tend to refer to them). They can be found on trashzen :)

***Bashers are basically people who land really heavy - and usually tend towards TGS. I can't think of any really good examples of bashers at the moment, so search for any videos by Bigman. He is the POLAR opposite of a basher :)

lol loving the intro these guys have been more than halpfull with me so far im sure they will do u well

as for the mod/stock situation im used to bmx but am going to build a stock and im by no means tall coming in at a measley 5'7/8" so i think its just down to personal prefrence in the end try and ride a few of each to see whare your acorn lands (Y)

I am 5"4 and i started on a stock years ago but when i started there were no big trials shops around so getting light trials spec parts were hard, so my trials bike was 12kg+. Then i went to mod the last few years for a lighter bike which is now close to 8kg. So i like mods for movibility and smallness less weight but need to be accurate due to small wheels, stock i would get another some time, now that they are lighter, also can get up higher with stock and more margin for error but less easy to manouver and easyer to get parts. At the end of the day either bike is personal choice,and also will feel weird for you and strange till you get the hang of it so i would look for one that has most value for money.

my first bike

gallery_8501_1967_4820.jpg

i met my wife on this :giggle:

Edited by weebryan

I didn't know Porsche made trials bikes? Is the steering at the back?

As far as biking experience goes......

BMX in the mid 80's, a no name xmas pressie but way cool, chrome with blue parts. Think Onza T-Mag. Got some (was it Z rims?) The bendy ones you had to true up all the time! I also cycle raced in my later teens, road bikes, time trials, cyclo cross and track. I also bought a mountain bike in '89.

A Diamondback something? It cost £550 quid all that time ago (i'm not rich, just came into some money). It was purple with Shimano parts and a beautiful candle flame paintjob. Does anyone know the model?

Unfortunately, i've spent the last 20 years abusing my body through girls, drink etc. and have decided to turn over a new leaf.

I was attracted to trials, mainly because after breaking my ankle 2 years ago, i started practacing yoga. The mindset and balance of trials seems to be similar to me. And no, i'm not some new age hippy. I'm hoping the 8 screws and titanium plate in my ankle will make it bionic!

Sorry guys, just trying to correct a spelling mistake and re-posted.

Goddam newfangled machinery!

Aener, thank you for your considered response, i will reply further when time allows.

Edited by middleageman

Thank you all for your informative replies! Especially aener. I've probably garnered more information off your post than a weeks worth of browsing!

I'm 5'11, 39 years old , but keen as mustard! This 24" debate seems unresolved to me so far. I've seen a lovely Inspired 4play on Tartybikes, but why aren't there more 24" trials bikes in general?

Thank you all for your informative replies! Especially aener. I've probably garnered more information off your post than a weeks worth of browsing!

I'm 5'11, 39 years old , but keen as mustard! This 24" debate seems unresolved to me so far. I've seen a lovely Inspired 4play on Tartybikes, but why aren't there more 24" trials bikes in general?

Just is not that popular yet. It all started with mods and stock so they are more popular.

Edited by Mikey Tomo

Trials-specific (if you can call them that, they're still pretty streety) 24s only came out a few years ago, search for an Ashton ET24, that started it all off!

The main reason 24" trials is still small in comparison to 20/26, is because of the lack of parts. There are only 2 or 3 new frames to choose from, and not an awful lot of 24" specific parts.