Viz Extreme 120ep Rear Hub

Rusevelt

I think everyone at some point has expressed their views on the pros and cons of a 120 click hub and now that there is a trials specific 120 click hub on the market, im just wondering if anyone has any insight on this product? Ps, Trials-Uk have apparently sold a few already.

Edited by Rusevelt

Based on the look of the freehub and axle ends on this it may well be the same as the superstar or Halo 120 ep hub with a different body. It might work for trials, but I'll let other people try them first - the Superstar on my XC bike has been flawless since I fitted it in Feb/March...

What free wheel does 120ep? :S

108, close enough.

The pawls are probably gonna be on the outside and the ratchet bit is gonna be on the freehub body, not too bad designwise, just means the slots are a bit smaller than if it was on the outside... 6 and 3 2s though i guess.

Edited by Fixed Pantsâ„¢

I didnt mean exact... but if you want strength but lots and lots of engagements get a freewheel

No such thing as a strong freehub with over 60 engagements apart from king! Therefore if you want that many clicks and quite a lot of strength you should go fw and fixed hub! IMO

But you have to remember, you get more than 72ep's (for a king) at the pedals compared to a 72ep eno..

My tryall freewheel has been perfect so far!

and if you put a freewheel on the rear it will feel more responsive to a king IMO. Im running a monty freewheel on the back on my limey and it feels more responsive than a king. And there is less stress in the freewheel when its on the rear. dont ask my the why or how cause i dont know lol! but they last a hell of a lot longer on the rear for some reason.

But the viz hub doesnt look too reliable in my opinion (N)

But you have to remember, you get more than 72ep's (for a king) at the pedals compared to a 72ep eno..

How?

360 degrees of crank rotation with 72 engagment points along the way. It'd be the same if you hade a front freewheel or freehub...

How?

360 degrees of crank rotation with 72 engagment points along the way. It'd be the same if you hade a front freewheel or freehub...

a wheel will not turn at the same speed as a freewheel though...due to the diameter of the wheel. (i think thats the basics of the argument against your post). Ill let someone else confirm

Me, when I couldn't quite make the 21.234264" sidehop. I reckon the extra engagement will mean I could make it next time.

:giggle:

I heard someone riding one of the halo superdrive thingys the other day and they just sound horrid ... Id rather have 24 reliable and proven points than 120 that will break your face.

I think they sound great, but not as good as a King because the clicking isn't a constant volume/frequency as the freehub makes a full turn. If the one I have is still perfect in 4 or 5 years time I'll consider one on a trials bike. The freehub body is Aluminium though, so most singlespeed sprockets will chew it to bits in no time...

The trials-uk webpage says the hub has 8 pawls though, so the internals may not be the same as the Superstar/Halo, but the external parts look so similar I reckon the page might be wrong.

I'd buy one for the back of my hardtail right now if trials-uk didn't have such a bad reputation for delivering :(.

Looks a little weedy :ermm: .......
I agree with you there. looking at size of the Hub shell where the internals are it doesn't look very beefy. it looks almost as small as the 1st generation Hope Pro-2 hubs. i guess time will tell. Edited by Rusevelt

:giggle:

I heard someone riding one of the halo superdrive thingys the other day and they just sound horrid ... Id rather have 24 reliable and proven points than 120 that will break your face.

Don't you mean "I'd rather have 48 reliable HopePro2TTechnologyâ„¢ points"? :P But nah, I definitely agree with you.

With the talk of gear ratio stuff - when I went (Back in the day ;)) from a Dicta to an Eno (so 18 to 72), there was a noticeable improvement, and simply from changing to the Eno I could gap over a foot further. That was largely because I had no faith in the Dicta, and it was a pile of balls, but if you went from, for example, a 24-click hub to a 72-click hub I think you'd notice a difference in your riding.

• 4 months later...
Based on the look of the freehub and axle ends on this it may well be the same as the superstar or Halo 120 ep hub with a different body. It might work for trials, but I'll let other people try them first - the Superstar on my XC bike has been flawless since I fitted it in Feb/March...

The Superstar 120 click hubs are off the list for XC and trials. The hub shown was used for XC only on a Giant Trance (full suspension XC bike) - here's what I found in mine earlier this week when it lost drive after about a year (The last few months it hasn't been used at all though):

Superstar_Hub1.jpg

Superstar_Hub2-Inside_Freehub_Body.jpg

Edited by psycholist