Uk Street Trial Competitions?

SmileyBaldyBloke

Hey guys, is there such a thing as a Street Trial where riders compete - I can find lots of natural stuff, but no street?

(The reason I ask, (apart from loving trials) is that my Events Company are putting together some proposals for urban / city based events for a major city council)

If such events don't exist:

Would you be up for competing or just attending?

What would be the best format - similar to natural trials i.e A number of timed sections or something more radical?

What would make the event off the map?

Would beginners like coaching from Danny Mac?

All ideas welcome...........

Edited by SmileyBaldyBloke

Hey guys, is there such a thing as a Street Trial where riders compete - I can find lots of natural stuff, but no street?

(The reason I ask, (apart from loving trials) is that my Events Company are putting together some proposals for urban / city based events for a major city council)

If such events don't exist:

What would be the best format - similar to natural trials i.e A number of timed sections or something more radical?

Would you be interested in coaching from Danny Mac?

All ideas welcome...........

for competitions not in the slightest

you'll get a good response to this i think

Depending on the city, and aslong as it has good train links you should get a good following for it. You could do a normal format of so many dabs like in natural comps or you could do a format such as highest tap and highest sidehop ect or may be even both. Personally although it would be great i dont think the personal training from danny mac will be what people would want.

Depending on the city, and aslong as it has good train links you should get a good following for it. You could do a normal format of so many dabs like in natural comps or you could do a format such as highest tap and highest sidehop ect or may be even both. Personally although it would be great i dont think the personal training from danny mac will be what people would want.

Thanks for that - the coaching from danny was really to attract beginners, but like the biggest, highest idea aswell!

I like the idea but I think the highest/ biggest is a bad choice, I think a street section set out with loads of varied obstacles with a panel of respected pro;s like say Ashton/ Hawyes/ Akrigg etc that judge out of 10 on how good they think the run is, street isnt all about biggest its about style and creativity.

If you can make a not-so-hard UCI worlds man made course somewhere in England, it'd be rad, with cotton reels/pallets set at interesting angles, pipes, etc.

Or watch some of the Eastern European vids of the trials parks over there, they looks really good fun.

I like the idea but I think the highest/ biggest is a bad choice, I think a street section set out with loads of varied obstacles with a panel of respected pro;s like say Ashton/ Hawyes/ Akrigg etc that judge out of 10 on how good they think the run is, street isnt all about biggest its about style and creativity.

That would only be good if it was just pros/very good riders competing. It would take too long if lots of people wanted to compete.

I think a UCI style competition and perhaps also a speed trial event on the side?

Was it NASS a few years ago where there were concrete pipes, boxes, ramps, rails etcetc and riders were given 2 mins or something to use the course to how they wanted??

I think something like this would allow for a larger variety of riding (TGS to streety riding) and would be much easier for spectators to watch. I say this because i could imagine that spectators might get bored of watching riders compete in sections as it may be seen as too slow....Riders could be judged on: Use of course, fluidity, style, difficulty of moves etc. (Y)

Yes, for sure!

I think the timed sections work well, but also I think there could be a more interesting way of testing the skills of the rider.

I don't understand that one...

Would beginners like coaching from Danny Mac?

For sure

Was it NASS a few years ago where there were concrete pipes, boxes, ramps, rails etcetc and riders were given 2 mins or something to use the course to how they wanted??

I think something like this would allow for a larger variety of riding (TGS to streety riding) and would be much easier for spectators to watch. I say this because i could imagine that spectators might get bored of watching riders compete in sections as it may be seen as too slow....Riders could be judged on: Use of course, fluidity, style, difficulty of moves etc. (Y)

Its a good idea , but the only problem is that it only allows top level riders to win and show off, not fair on lower level riders. Id favour towards doing a normal style comp.

I think either format would work really, the bike battle was a big hit, and got big crowds.

But it depends what you want really. If you want something that shows off whats possible on a bike ( not neccessarily "pure" trials), where you've got people like danny mac/akrigg throwing in a bit of bmx and freeride style, and people like damon and tunnicliffe just going huge, then i think a bike battle style event would be perfect.

But if you want to show off "trials" then maybe have an ivitational comp? maybe something like the indoor motorcycle comps, where one rider goes round 6 sections, then the next, and then after that X amount go through to a final.

I dont know, there just some random things in my head lol

Im sure anything would be brilliant, ad great to watch :)

But if you want to show off "trials" then maybe have an ivitational comp? maybe something like the indoor motorcycle comps, where one rider goes round 6 sections, then the next, and then after that X amount go through to a final.

I dont know, there just some random things in my head lol

Im sure anything would be brilliant, ad great to watch :)

sounds a mint idea, but then again your limited to the amount of riders really that can enter i would say, and obviously top riders would be choosen not standard riders. I think the question thats needs to be answered is, is the competition there to show of trials to the public and show what possible. or is the competition there formost to be a good comp for all riders to enter which is something different to the norm. Knowing that will help decide the format as to whether anyone can enter or its limited with mainly top level riders.

Edited by basher

i'm sure the bike battle ran a couple of risers at a time and kinda eliminated each other.

best try and get in touch with matt tounge and see how he went about the nottingham bike battle.

eh danny mac teaching- i think its all a bit beneath him now he's a big deal!

lol

good idea.

would be interesting to see in the uk again.

the thing about the bike battle in boston? was all big name street/ free riders shredding in.. was it shoums march that got 2nd on a 6 inch full bouncer.....

kinda what the quashqui events are now i suppose.

this is something i would love to see.

It would HAVE to be organised like the red bull bike battle if it were to be done. The reason for this is that it is more spectator friendly. There are no real rules the audience have to understand, its just a case of ride your arse off and let crowd judge who wins.

Basically, any riders involved should not be doing it for the win or any prize, they should be doing it to show trials how it is today. (and no its not just TGS). there are loads of different genres of trials, and all should be shown to the general public.

Further to this it is my opinion that 'modern' riders should be on show as well as the usual suspects. I understand that the Marts, leech, lenosky, and all the riders of that era are a big part of trials history, however new riders should be on show as well. This will allow the public to understand that our sport is for people of all ages.

I still think the event needs some big name riders, and if there is a judging panel then the icons of the sport should be included in it.

However I believe the event should be invitation only. A riders list would include some of the following -

Vincent Hermance

The Coustelliers

Ben Savage

Danny Macaskill

Ali C

Damon Watson / Neil Tunni

Thomas Oehler

Rowan Johns

James Barton

Leechy

Akkers

TRA

Felix Mucke

Ashtonio

The reason i put these out there is that recent events such as the quashqai were more dirt jump orientated. Even when the red bull bike battle went stateside it became more jump orientated. This is great for mountain biking, but not great for trials.

Just my opinion obviously, but if you look at my list above there is a good mixture of streety riders as well as competition orientated riders which would offer a great mix of abilities and different genres of riding that trials consists of.

I am now preparing to be ripped to pieces

Spot on! We have all been waiting for the Damon V's Gilles show down! lol just kidding.

This would make it great for the public and the trials community, some of the world top riders all at the one event showing what they have got. Would also be good for some of the other riders to meet each other. Don’t forget one or two mod riders though!

I have seen some of those riders mentioned in that list. These are exactly the people that want to be seen. There are some great riders like TRA for example who we only really get to see his online video’s which are fantastic! Would be great to see riders like himself at such a big event. So I agree with Ben on this one, get top riders with a range of different styles.