Should I Invest £1k In Halifax Shares?

JT!

HBOS  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Should I?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dunno / Don't Care / Lobster Dog.

I made 60%ish on Lehman Brothers in March/April time over the course of 24 hours. I was more than happy with that, especially with not having to pay tax on the gain. Good ole Guernsey. It's all about the risk/return ratio. That was massive risk, but it paid off somehow (luck rather than judgement). Returns of 900% are more likely to be made in the bookies.

I wish. I've seen some that increase 900%. It's just knowing they're gonna go up before they do is the hard part.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing eh?

To be honest, if you can afford to keep your money in the shares you will make your money back. Might just take a couple of years :P I wish i'd bought RBS shares when they were down at 60p back in Nov/Dec, I know of a guy that bought £10,000 worth, then sold them a few hours later for £20,000.

• 3 months later...

I'm about £85 down from where i started. If you'd have asked a couple of weeks ago, i would have been £600 down. So that's relatively pretty good.

Also, if i'd have bought the shares when they were at their lowest, i'd have made over 2 grand profit.

post-4715-1241445554_thumb.jpg

Arrow points to when i bought them.

Edited by JT!

Good to see i'm not the only one trying to take advantage of the recession.

I'm in Taylor Wimpey, 31,000 @ an average of 10p (6p, 9.6p, 27p, 41p prices at various points) and RBS, 1500 @ 14.5p.

The only bad bit is not getting paid quick enough to top everything up and delve into new opportunities. I bailed from LLoy to plunge more into TW and missed Barclays at 47p (Now 279! :angry: ) again because of the amount I was putting into TW. In hindisght I should have binned RBS for BARC and kept my holding in Lloy.

If you're breaking even i'd reccomend looking at TW. wether you move it all over or slice it in half, but obviously DYOR on it.

Out on infterest did you do it in an ISA? (Sorry if it's been said, not read everything).

Out on infterest did you do it in an ISA? (Sorry if it's been said, not read everything).

Nope. I don't really get them. (I do have an isa as in a regular savings account, but for shares :S)

Ah right, it'll depend on who you're ISA is with as to whether you can trade stock/how easy it is.

I never got them too, I was always under the impression that you could only trade in certain types of stock, government bonds and weird shit so I kind of ignored them. Turns out you can trade up to £7200 in ANY stock, completely free of capital gains tax! Unfortunately I found out after the new tax year started and my investment was worth over 7k so kinda missed the opportunity to get everything in there.

I trade with selftrade and they have a Shares ISA, basically the same as the normal trading account but you do it within an ISA, might be worth looking into if you want to save a few quid from the tax man.

Im going to start by saying i know next to nothing about trading shares BUT

im intrested in starting and im wondering what you people use to tade your shares?

am i right in thinking that i need to open a share dealing account with halifax or someone similar?

Correct, I use Selftrade, Barclays is also popular. I did have a link to a comparison of the most popular ones as they charge different fees. Selftrade just charge £12.50 per trade, no monthly fees or inactivity fees, barclays I think charge monthly too. Not sure about III etc. I'll try find the link for you.

If you don't already have an ISA, trade with a Shares ISA too as i've said above.

Correct, I use Selftrade, Barclays is also popular. I did have a link to a comparison of the most popular ones as they charge different fees. Selftrade just charge £12.50 per trade, no monthly fees or inactivity fees, barclays I think charge monthly too. Not sure about III etc. I'll try find the link for you.

If you don't already have an ISA, trade with a Shares ISA too as i've said above.

So with selftrade they wont charge me anything except £12.50 on any transactions? that sounds like the best option to me, it could be a while before i decide to actually make a move

Can't find the actual link but this has some info and link to different brokers are at the bottom. Alernatively googling 'choosing a stock broker' will throw up loads of useful info.

There's some good stuff online which i'd reccoment reading first, LSE and III forums are ok for info, and www.shareprice.co.uk is worth signing up to for live prices (most provide prices with a 15 min delay).

How does making over 10 grand in 5 months sound? Old people or not, I ain't gonna quibble with that ;)

People always want to make money for nothing, this is pretty much the best way (although you can lose it just as fast!)