Should I Invest £1k In Halifax Shares?

JT!

HBOS  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Should I?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dunno / Don't Care / Lobster Dog.

They're quite low at the moment, and in two days there's going to be a meeting about whether they should merge with Lloyds. That's the reason they're so low, if they don't merge, they should go back up, i could maybe double my monies.

What do you all think?

theres far smarter shares to buy than halifax really.

Instore for example are at like 6p now, there going to be bought out, could buy 1000 for £60.00, and not even worry if you lose them.

Shell/bp shares regularly fluctuate up and down by like £6 a share. buy the shell shares at like £12-13, then sell for £16-17, rinse and repeat.

or just buy them as a long term investment, both by BT, and my mums Shell shares are returning pretty decent dividends.

Instore for example are at like 6p now, there going to be bought out, could buy 1000 for £60.00, and not even worry if you lose them.

Shell/bp shares regularly fluctuate up and down by like £6 a share. buy the shell shares at like £12-13, then sell for £16-17, rinse and repeat.

or just buy them as a long term investment, both by BT, and my mums Shell shares are returning pretty decent dividends.

I've been watching halifax shares for a while, so it's either halifax or nothing. And i'd probably sell them as soon as they went up by about 50% or after 4 weeks which ever came first.

I'm just shitting myself i could loose hundreds.

I've been watching halifax shares for a while, so it's either halifax or nothing. And i'd probably sell them as soon as they went up by about 50% or after 4 weeks which ever came first.

I'm just shitting myself i could loose hundreds.

then dont buy a grands worth buy £400's worth or something.

then dont buy a grands worth buy £400's worth or something.

It's the reward to 'shitting myself' ratio. £400 isn't enough reward. But £2k is too much shitting myself when it goes down slightly.

Most people will say yes, since there is a chance you'll earn a lot of money. But I don't think they'd be so positive if they were to invest their own money :P

To put it simple: reactions could be spontaneous and irrational in view of the recent problems, also banks are a dodgy thing to invest in now. You've probably done a lot of research yourself, so go with whatever you think is the right thing to do.

BT are possibly the worst long term investment share, my dad's lost nearly tens of thousands over the past few years compared to if he'd sold them at their peak about 7-8 years ago when they were £15 a share, now there no-where near that.

The company i work for (Xerox, XRX in the share world) have halved in the past few months based on the economic crisis, and are fluctuating quite large amounts at the moment. They went up 10% a few days back, but are back down again now. Just shows that you can make a quick buck.

I'd say start with investing smaller amounts of money, maybe a couple of hundred quid, and work up from there, just be prepared that whatever you put in, you may loose completely.

BT are possibly the worst long term investment share, my dad's lost nearly tens of thousands over the past few years compared to if he'd sold them at their peak about 7-8 years ago when they were £15 a share, now there no-where near that.

I'd say start with investing smaller amounts of money, maybe a couple of hundred quid, and work up from there, just be prepared that whatever you put in, you may loose completely.

yea, granted, but im going to hazard a guess, he payed no where near £15 a share for them.im currently rolling on something like 300 bt shares. and then in 2.5 years im going to have the chance to buy £5000 or so, at £2.05 a share(no matter what the share price is at that time). but over the 3 or so years ive held shares in bt, ive had a decent dividend return(i.e the idea of using as a long term investment) each year.

Also bear in mind the low price there at now, i almost bought £2000 of bt shares when they where £1.01 the other week, but didnt because i put off doing it, just to see what happened, could of sold them at £1.32 last week.which is a tidy sum for a quick investment. and how they dont really have an awful long way to drop, as anyone who had them at £15.00, could of seen it wasnt going to last. but thats their choice, and theyve been floating around the £1.50-2.00 mark since 2002(obviously with the odd rise and fall here and there, and a period at just over £3 for a few months in 2007) and there still occuppying a similar position really, in fact id say theyve faired better than most in the credit crunch.

but the thing with BT is, its not like a lot of these other places, it cant just go bust,if/when it goes bust itll be seen a mile off, the government amongst others cant allow bt to go bust just like that, as basically everything communication wise would come to a halt.effectively grounding the entire country.theyll be handout and help out plans etc, and then its big decision time as to whether you sell up or hold out, but its not like many other businesses, (like instore for example i mentioned earlier with stupid low shares, they could just shut up shop tonight, and tomorrow everyone walks in, doors are locked, no job, and its all over). if communication stops, the country effectively stops, coud could use any communication network really, but mobile phones arent the end of the world, if t mobile went bust tomorrow, id go and buy a phone on 02 or orange, as would anybody else who needs them. and if talk talk or the like went bust, you could just switch back to bt, but if bt went, bearing in mind all the exhanges, lines, the entire network being bt owned, you couldnt just swap over your line, literally nothing could happen till some sort of agreement/take over was put in place. Not saying BT wont go bust, ive even got my suspicions, just saying youll know about it when it does.

I'm going to say no... for someone who probably hasn't got money to waste its not the smartest investment. If youv'e got a grand that you would be totally happy to walk into a cassino and put on red then why not? But its hardly the best market place for a noob to be f**king arround in atm

You'd make more money in premium bonds.

Doubt it. The way the system works if you owned every single premium bond there is (over 37,000,000,000) you would win every single prize going but you'd still only make 2.85% 'interest' on it. Ok so if you're investing 37 billion pounds a billion pounds interest isn't to sniff at but if you were to invest only £1000 for a year, odds are you'd come away with £1000.

And yeah, as for the BT shares thing they're about to cut 10,000 jobs so I'm guessing they're struggling a bit too.

If there really was that good an opportunity for short term gains on HBOS shares then the market would have already reacted. Most shares are bought/ sold by professional investors so if it was that obvious they would know about it and the prices would have already gone up in anticipation. By the looks of it they have gone down from 74.5p to 67.7p per share since last night. Of course you may be correct and if so best of luck to you, but personally I wouldnt want to risk it!

I've been watching halifax shares for a while, so it's either halifax or nothing.

I’d seriously think twice before risking any money with this kind of ‘strategy’. High risk should come with the potential of a high return. If you match your risk against your return potential here, it's way out of balance. Check out some analysts reports (or a fundamental analysis) on Reuters or Bloomberg and you’ll see the majority of them are edging on the side of sell.

Doubt it. The way the system works if you owned every single premium bond there is (over 37,000,000,000) you would win every single prize going but you'd still only make 2.85% 'interest' on it. Ok so if you're investing 37 billion pounds a billion pounds interest isn't to sniff at but if you were to invest only £1000 for a year, odds are you'd come away with £1000.

But you'd still come out with a grand. Who knows how much you'll end up with HBOS stock, which is about the riskiest stock there is at the moment?