Spoke Question.

G-baby158

Google for a program called spocalc.xls to calculate the spoke length you need - it may not have the specific rim/hub you want, but you can measure the ERD and the hub and put them into the program manually.

Can't find the programe on google, plus what is ERD ? i don't get any of this.

First link on google when you type spocalc.xls into the Google search: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

The ERD is Effective Rim Diameter. This is the diameter of the rim as far as the spoke length is concerned. It's measured by getting two long spokes, cutting the bends off them to take them to a known length and fitting spoke nipples to the threaded ends (Superglue them in position to stop them unwinding) so the end of the spoke is flush with the back of the spoke nipple (The ideal location for the spoke nipple relative to the spoke in a wheel with perfect spoke length).

Stick the spokes through spoke holes directly opposite each other in the rim and measure how much overlap there is where the two spokes meet. The ERD is equal to [spoke length 1] + [spoke length 2] - [overlap between spokes]. It's a good plan to measure this for several different pairs of spoke holes in the rim and average the results as not all rims are perfectly round.

Right i'm really sorry if i'm pissing people of with this but i dont understand it :S i'm only 15 and just can't get it :S i've looked down the page(s) for a halo sas rim but not on there same as the profile hub. I've e-mail'd tarty but they hav'nt reply'd i dont know what to do :(

Right was looking for spokes for my halo now i know what i need, i found and i'm thinking its 25- for one ?[email=http://www.ison-distribution.com/ison/english/product.php?part=SKID224K&PHPSESSID=g8b3it95n0jo91uuu1rjtpol97]these why do they sell them in ones for ? Plus could you tell me what the 3x means ?

Edited by G-baby158

That's a distributor, you can't buy direct from them.

3x means 3 Cross. The spokes cross over each other 3 times. The more crosses the longer the spokes. That's why Tarty quoted 234mm for 3 cross and i quoted 240mm for 4 cross.

There isn't much need in having one side of the spokes longer. The wheel will need dishing anyway. It just means the spokes aren't lightly to pull out from the nipple (unlikely if long enough) and the heads aren't poking through the top of the nipple.

Just buy from Tarty or CRC depending on price/ colour. Tarty stock Sapim, CRC stock DT Swiss. Equally as good, same weight on both too.

Edited by eskimo

3x is the amount of times a spoke crosses another spoke (from the same hub side) on its path from the hub to the rim, 3x is 3 crosses. 4x is 4 crosses

3x is the standard for wheel builds, and probably best in most cases.

unless you are a particularly hard rider and side load/twist your wheel a lot or weigh a fair bit then 4x is unnecessary (plus its a pain to lace up)

are you buying the parts from tarty because i got a wheelbuild from them the other week and it arrived absolultely spanking, perfectly round and dead straight

unless you are competant and happy building wheels, its worth the price of getting it built proffesionally because with a little careful maintentance it'll last helluva lot longer

that may be so, i don't know the details, but it'll be worth it in the long run in my opinion.

i've got a hope rear wheel built by chain reaction cycles and it has lasted me about 4 years (1 year light use then 1 year intensive i year off then another year of reaallllly heavy use! (my drop gap stage:))

a proffesional build is always a good choice, a perfect start point with even tension and perfect trueness, even with light maintenance it'll last way longer then a amatuer build (i even found this with 48 spoke 20" bmx wheels where there is room for error with the smaller wheel and more spokes)