24" Wheels On A Stock

Greetings

Why would it ride differently when the geo is kept the exact same?

It does. I'm telling you that from experience.

As far as I can work out, the way a bike feels to ride is a factor of the geometry, and the wheel is effectively a part of that. If you imagine a bike on two wheels, just rolling along, then 24 and 26 wheels aren't going to feel very different. Just a bit lower to the floor as you say. As soon as you turn a corner then the 24" wheels will make the bike turn quicker. Just like how a few years ago motogp bikes would have different sized wheels to put in the same bike to effect handling.

Then you pull up to manual/bunnyhop/tap/backhop. If you think of the compound arc that your feet must go in for the bike to tilt up, this is affected by the bb rise, the chain stay length AND the wheel diameter, especially if your moving.

The wheel size is as much a part of the geometry as wheelbase, or head angle. In the same way that bar set and fork length/rake are also equally as important.

It does. I'm telling you that from experience.

As far as I can work out, the way a bike feels to ride is a factor of the geometry, and the wheel is effectively a part of that. If you imagine a bike on two wheels, just rolling along, then 24 and 26 wheels aren't going to feel very different. Just a bit lower to the floor as you say. As soon as you turn a corner then the 24" wheels will make the bike turn quicker. Just like how a few years ago motogp bikes would have different sized wheels to put in the same bike to effect handling.

Then you pull up to manual/bunnyhop/tap/backhop. If you think of the compound arc that your feet must go in for the bike to tilt up, this is affected by the bb rise, the chain stay length AND the wheel diameter, especially if your moving.

The wheel size is as much a part of the geometry as wheelbase, or head angle. In the same way that bar set and fork length/rake are also equally as important.

Spot on.

i tried it with my old zebdi when i killed my ET, having no money, but being at college i welded on some 24" mounts on the bottom of the seatstays, rode well for a while.

it does make the bike feel more "compact" and a bit lower, but not huge amounts of difference, lots of fun.

go for it i say, ull be able to experience a 24 without the expense, just a bit lower than a real one.

as said before, its better for streety stuff, but "pure" trials is still possible on them.

as said before, its better for streety stuff, but "pure" trials is still possible on them.

But why, frame geometry aside, do 24" wheels make a bike more streety? Mods should therefore feel extremely streety but they don't really, unless you have a stem with bags of rise.

My frame has +45mm bb, so it's going to be pretty similar to a 24" frame in that aspect.

Mods don't really ride streety becasue of their stem set-ups. I've ridden a mod with a short stem set-up on it, and it pretty much felt like a BMX. There was a thread in chit chat recently about adapting a mod for street, and a couple of other riders had the same experience.

As a general rule the further forward your weight is, and this is often down to stem length and bar height, the more 'trialsy' the bike will feel. The further back your weight is the more it will feel like a bmx or mtb, depending on your wheel size.

24" wheels do make the bike have that flickier feel that street riders like. Set up with a trials style bar and stem, wide rims, soft tyres and a traditional trials geometry frame it is still going to be very much a trials bike. But it will not just feel like a 26". Its mostly pulling up onto backwheel, and doing techy stuff like roll downs and natural stuff where you're gonna feel the big difference if you're intending to ride true trials, rather than the streety trials mix most 24" are set-up for. Effectivly, when set-up for proper trials, it feels like a stock/mod hybrid.

yeah the shorter stem puts you more central on the bike, and putting higher rise bars means you are less strected out across the bike, meaning there is more scope for body movement.

the smaller wheels also make it 'flickier' because there is less rotating weight creating a gyroscopic effect.

to see what i mean spin up a front wheel while holding the axles by hand.

then try and twist/turn or rotate the axle. its hould resist the change in its rotation plane. because ofthis same effect a 24" feels better to do moving stuff on as this has a less pronounced effect.

i dont think its solely the wheel size, shorter stems, higher bars as mentioned also different head angles and forks with very litlle rake contribute to make it feel more stable