Desktop Pc Advice Needed

Boswell

Look on eBay. I got a company to custom build mine for just over that, but they do cheaper ones.

My spec is AMD 64 Quad Core

1gb 8100 Graphics

4gb RAM

500gb HD

Oh, and a 22" monitor.

If you're looking on eBay, avoid a company called Palicomp. And be careful with others too.

Look on eBay. I got a company to custom build mine for just over that, but they do cheaper ones.

My spec is AMD 64 Quad Core

1gb 8100 Graphics

4gb RAM

500gb HD

Oh, and a 22" monitor.

:blink: Shit hot spec for that price.

Edited by Sam F

If you're buying a computer for your mum i'd go with getting a ready built - it might be much cheaper to build one yourself or buy off ebay, but there's much better peace of mind buying from a big company, plus if it goes wrong you can just tell them to fix it. I say this after having to give remote computer support to parents after building them a computer while I was at uni. If you're mum's not computer savvy it's much easier for them to have one where you can pretty much guarantee that if something has gone wrong it's either your mum's fault and is fixable, or is the manufacturers fault and they'll fix it for you.

Andy

Whatever floats your boat I guess...

Mine was good to go after installing operating system, didn't come with spam (Also known as "free" trials), if it goes wrong they have a helpline or they'll fix it for you...

Much better than buying a PC World package - for the money I paid I was looking at a smaller monitor, half the hard drive space, slower processor, standard crap graphics. And don't think that because PC World are a shop it'll be easy to get them to sort your PC out. They are useless 17 year old college students (No offense, but most of them don't know what they are talking about - I asked about advice on a PC for music production and they offered me a home entertainment system because it "has 7.1 sound" - erm, yeah, that's useless for music production. Thanks anyway.)

Why?

I got mine from there, it showed up the day after I ordered it (Working day).

It's solid build, I opened it and checked first.

Fantastic service & spec for the price!

You seen their feedback? Also their support is 75p a minute.

Get a Mesh, or a Dell, or something else like that.

Yeah but to be fair:

90% of internet users are retarded, so they probably complained for stupid reasons - I could moan that the case is different to the one in the picture for starters, but it's hardly a problem.

They have a support email address, but 75p isn't that bad really, it's cheaper than calling out an engineer. (I used to charge £15 an hour)

I'd much rather have a spec to my needs for less money.

Example:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/952422

£499

Graphics not as good, Processor not as good, Monitor 3" smaller, 4 USB mine has 6. Oh, and that one comes with Vista :sick:

EDIT: Mine was only £399, but I added stuff to it. The £399 spec is what I'm comparing to the above though!

Edited by TheScientist