Rubbery Things....

r2wtrials

Sorry if i am visiting old ground here but I have looked through the FAQ's for a section on tyre choice and the only one is several years old now... obviously there has been loads of new tyres released on the market and i wanted views on those suitable.

So what are your thoughts on the best 26" tyres for trials, old and new... i ride rocks and a bit of concrete and will be some other slippery natural stuff when i learn to ride well enough (if ever..!)

give me your views and reasons and perhaps even a budget choice.

Cheers

Edited by r2wtrials

Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis.

Sorry, got a bit excited. Maxxis High Roller Slow Reezay's, Single ply 2.35" front and Dual Ply 2.5" or 2.35" rear. Job done (Y) .

either that or the maxxis minions in supertacky

Out of interest, does anybody use IRC El Gato anymore? I've had a look at a few of the big online shops and can't find them anymore. I'm looking to get my bike back into order again and one thing that definitely needs replacing are the tyres.

If these tyres do not exist anymore what is comparable? They have quite a square pattern on them from what I can see that is left of my current ones.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich C

The maxxis Larsons look like they would be good on rocks?... any views from anyone on them. Around 20 quid each is not bad either.

I currently have a larson TT dual ply on the rear of my bike and its pretty good - lighter than the other two maxxis tyres and pretty grippy (especially on street). oh and it rolls faster - all round win - i imagine a single ply front would be a winner too ...

if you are going off road I wouldnt bother though ....

Just to be different...

Continental Rubber Queen 2.4" on the back, really bouncy and grippy, and much lighter than any similar maxxis tyre. I have to say I prefer it to my high roller super tacky 2.5" dual ply.

And I'm running a Continental Explorer lite 2.1" on the front which is under 400g 498g on digital scales. It's plenty grippy enough too, and doesn't seem to squirm much for such a light tyre. I don't think they make them any more though :(

edit: I was 100g out on the weight.

Edited by Sam Doman

I'm a firm believer in:

Front: Try-All stiky

Rear: Maxxis Minion Slow Reezay Dual Ply 2.5 front tread pattern.

Thats how I roll.

Word.

I had a heavvyyy kenda tyre on the front before, put the try all on, and shit me what a difference.

so Maxxis are the ones to go for these days... i seem to remember Michelin comp 24's being ok a while back?

Michelin are still pretty good and comparable to Maxxis but I don't think they are as sticky and may be a bit heavier.

Personally, Maxxis. At the moment, I'm liking the Hansventure on the back and will be sad when it wears out as it seems spot on. 2.35 single ply Minion on the front.