Strength Or Technique?

Mtchell

A good way of looking at it is if the world strongest man got on a trials bike,he would not be able to side hop as high as the likes of Benito Ross. tecneque must play a large part.

That doesn't really follow though... Have you seen the size of Benito's forearms and lower legs?! Big bulk is obviously bad for trials, mainly due to the added mass and lack of explosive agility which goes with it. Trials uses quite a specific type of strength, I guess similar to the likes of power lifters who show a great deal of 'strength' but only for a very short time.

To be honest, I'd agree with the 60/40 split of technique/strength. My technique isn't great but I bypass that with a bit of extra power meaning I can sidehop without tucking as well as most people who need to tuck to get the same height.

That doesn't really follow though... Have you seen the size of Benito's forearms and lower legs?! Big bulk is obviously bad for trials, mainly due to the added mass and lack of explosive agility which goes with it. Trials uses quite a specific type of strength, I guess similar to the likes of power lifters who show a great deal of 'strength' but only for a very short time.

To be honest, I'd agree with the 60/40 split of technique/strength. My technique isn't great but I bypass that with a bit of extra power meaning I can sidehop without tucking as well as most people who need to tuck to get the same height.

uv got a very good point in saying power lifter only use strentgh for a short period of time

and tech is more important

do you think height and weight play any part?

Yeah I agree Dave, It's a combination of both, but I would say technique is more important. Good technique alone will get you sidehopping very high and then when you get towards a limit "explosive strength training" would probably improve you that little bit more at the top end.

Look at Gilles Coustellier for example, he is not bulky or over built at all, but he has so much technique that it doesn't matter. Also you could look at TRA and Benito Ross like Dave said, they are pretty well built and can sidehop houses.

Yeah I agree Dave, It's a combination of both, but I would say technique is more important. Good technique alone will get you sidehopping very high and then when you get towards a limit "explosive strength training" would probably improve you that little bit more at the top end.

Look at Gilles Coustellier for example, he is not bulky or over built at all, but he has so much technique that it doesn't matter. Also you could look at TRA and Benito Ross like Dave said, they are pretty well built and can sidehop houses.

I,ll check these guys out when i get chance (Y)

Do you think height and weight play any part?

To some extent I guess. People like Cesar Canas and Dani Comas are over 6ft with long legs and arms which in comp situations helps with strato dabs and they are also quite springy. However, Marc Caisso is of a similar technical level but is probably only 5'6". Weight again is not a constant. Muscle weighs more than fat and so provided the rider in question is lean and isn't carrying any extra weight it shouldn't be an issue.

To some extent I guess. People like Cesar Canas and Dani Comas are over 6ft with long legs and arms which in comp situations helps with strato dabs and they are also quite springy. However, Marc Caisso is of a similar technical level but is probably only 5'6". Weight again is not a constant. Muscle weighs more than fat and so provided the rider in question is lean and isn't carrying any extra weight it shouldn't be an issue.

yeh i see what your saying,my mate also said the same be reason am gaining weight very rapidly the podge is going and the moobs are Lol,

well im 6,1 and 13 stone so i,m :) well balanced i,d say

Cool, sounds about right. I'm 6' and about 12 stone but have quite an odd physique/metabolism...

lol i think mines bit out too, last year i weightd 9st (didnt eat always doing something else)

meatbolism mines ver high now , easly do in 6 meals a day but i feel better for it

Whats up with your body system lol

true but whatever way you look at it the worlds strongest man is a lot stronger .

every 1s saying different aftr wathng some videos on trashzen and study the moements of the body i see techinique plays a large part

when im ridng though irelise how much strength is needed is get up and onwards

Really? I mean REALLY?

Just because he's massaging your ego :P

i reckon gilles is alot stronger than he looks...he is pretty tall too...

then again- gilles can't sidehop as high as vincent, comas etc...(granted he can still hop bloody high though), who look to me like people who have trained to get a bit bigger for riding (kenny is huge!)

for future reference- BENITO IS THE WORLD'S STRONGEST MAN, he's just slightly too short to compete in the world rounds (of strongest man)

Similarish question- gaps, strength or technique? I reckon there's alot to be gained with strength there. Some body builder type/naturally massive people i know can gap absolutely huge, from very early on in their riding days...Difference there is the technique to hold the landing i reckon- for example, i remember matt staples not quite making things fairly often, but somehow managing to hold it! Whereas, tank people just land like sacks of...shit?

any thoughts then.

Similarish question- gaps, strength or technique? I reckon there's alot to be gained with strength there. Some body builder type/naturally massive people i know can gap absolutely huge, from very early on in their riding days...Difference there is the technique to hold the landing i reckon- for example, i remember matt staples not quite making things fairly often, but somehow managing to hold it! Whereas, tank people just land like sacks of...shit?

any thoughts then.

I think the same theory applies to gaps as it does to sidehopping. Technique is again very important, but I agree that if you develop the right kind of strength then it will help. Both are important but I would say technique more so.

being skinny doesnt mean that youre not strong, gilles is a lot more stronger than we all together because he is doing explosive power training not mass training. its possible to build your body in many different ways.

technique vs strenght - you need both

if you have tons of explosive and reactive strenght but cant do sidehops with a good technique you wont get very high

if you dont have strenght at all you cant even move the bike to perform a sidehop, the more strenght you have the easier you find to control your bike under you

so both are very important, you can always improve both