Try-all 108.9

that NBR dude

Ok, appologies for the really n00b question, and I did have q uick search to no avail.

I've no idea about these freewheels so excuse m ignorance here, but I've just put on a 2nd hand try-all 108.9 freewheel. All engages nicely, seems pretty solid. The issue I have is as it spins, it makes the most god awful chrunching and grinding noise. It doesnt "seem" to affect the performance, but its not exactly confidence inspiring and its just a disgusting noise.

Is it the same prionciple as an eno, and just whip the lockring off and give a look inside / clean it out ect? Like I say I've no experience with these freewheels so I don't know what I'm doing.

thanks for your help

Andy

heres a wee video with the awesome noise

Trials-Forum Video -> Full ViewDownloadUpload
Edited by that NBR dude

These freewheels are non-servicable and if it is the new model it will have a welded lock ring. Are you sure you are not mistaking the huge amount of engagements with a rough sound.

If you really think the inside needs a clean you could always spray it with degreaser, leave it for a while, then wash it with water and fill it with loads of lubricant (allow some time for it to soak in).

sounds like either the bearings are shot/check for sidways play.

or a pawl or spring has dis-lodge in which case its a ripped it apart and look.

as for the fact some are welded get a dremal and remove tac weld.

or buy a ENO.....

PS if you want i can have a look at it let me know.....

Edited by skuzzbucket

I use one of these freewheels and i personally haven't had any problems with it, alot of my mates keep telling me to get rid of it but i quite like it, mine doesn't quite sound like yours! :huh:

I do agree with skuzzbucket though, sounds like something has come lose, i would have thought it will more then likely cause more damage in time.

Contact whoever you brought it from and send it back, get a freewheel with 72 points of engagement that you can service yourself and i doubt you will notice much difference!

sounds like either the bearings are shot/check for sidways play.

or a pawl or spring has dis-lodge in which case its a ripped it apart and look.

as for the fact some are welded get a dremal and remove tac weld.

or buy a ENO.....

PS if you want i can have a look at it let me know.....

Keep spraying wd40 in there and see if any crap comes out, might just be a few bits of grit in there? they arent exactly the best sealed units :P Saying that, i have had mine since new and its been perfect, initially it skipped until i sprayed a little wd40 in to thin the grease, after that, no troubles at all, i am really chuffed with it

You can pull them apart, but the springs are so soft that usually they get knacked putting them back in. Like Paul said, WD 40 sprayed in will do a lot, better if you can put it in a mug of diesel or paraffin and give it a good swirl around, take it out and spin it, then back in the diesel, keep going till it sounds good :)

Well I've had a play a while ago, and I think I may have made it angry...

Loads and loads of crap has come out of it, but it still makes as ghastly noise and now starts to get stuck slightly every now and then... I can also move the sprocket around a few mm side to side and up/down

If I were you then I would just ditch it an get a new 1.

if its the old one (all black) no welds they are serviceable it sounds like a broken ball bearing has fell into the pawlor broken pawl/spring. I got the lock ring off by drilling a small hole it, like the eno and chapped it loose with a centre punch ( or screw driver will do) there is loose ball bearings not like the eno that are sealed away so strip it in a tub. My try-all was running on 1 pawl 36 engagements the springs had poped out so i bent them slightly so they are stronger and got new bearings, you will need grease to stick the ball bearings back in when re-assembling

Edited by weebryan

my monty made funny noises like that washed it out in white spirt and you probley wont need to wd40 it as white spirt is a lilttle greasy ( also left my monty super loud ) also my try all like that model has got awfully stiff get one of the welded ones they're decent

white spirit is an alcoholic substance so will basically just be a degreaser. wd40 also is not a form of grease and if used will only keep the system lubricated for around 30 seconds. Use either teflon grease or thick chain lube/wax.

Edited by sstein

white spirit is an alcoholic substance so will basically just be a degreaser. wd40 also is not a form of grease and if used will only keep the system lubricated for around 30 seconds. Use either teflon grease or thick chain lube/wax.

If im honest, going by its performance today, nothing like that will work. I think the whole internals are mashing themselves with every stroke. Its skipping like a school girl and the noise is getting worse. Had a few rather tasty bangs coming from the freewheel today which reaaaaaally inspired confidence. Think this freewheel is only fit for the trash.

Impatiently awaiting my new Monty 72ep one. Cheers for the help anyway guys and girls

If im honest, going by its performance today, nothing like that will work. I think the whole internals are mashing themselves with every stroke. Its skipping like a school girl and the noise is getting worse. Had a few rather tasty bangs coming from the freewheel today which reaaaaaally inspired confidence. Think this freewheel is only fit for the trash.

Impatiently awaiting my new Monty 72ep one. Cheers for the help anyway guys and girls

Wasn't really recommending the use of anything, just stating that wd40 and white spirit would be a bad idea for lubrication.

They weren't intially talking about lubrication. As it wont open up, we needed a way of clearing out the gunk and grime inside the freewheel. This is why I think people suggested WD40 as a way of breaking down the grime inside and cleaning it out a bit. This method cleaned out a fair load of rubbish from inside, but I dont think the noises are down to dirt and grime, but something more serious.

God that is an awful noise, does remind me of Hermance's one as Partz already said.

Its probably the only downside to these freewheels that they are non serviceable (well not as serviceable as an Eno).

Mine is smooth as anything and has never skipped with almost a year of use, so I guess it is down to luck without being able to service the freewheel (it is something that always crosses my mindon the Try-All)

All the best with the new freewheel.