A Line In The Sand

Rich Pearson

Thought I'd add my two cents here on the topic of the member population. ie: young old, new old-timers.

Firstly I think the young old divide really shouldn't be a problem but when you have a sport that looks impressive you will always attract some young enthusiastic, sometimes misguided, people. I think that's pretty unique to trials and other than mods who are willing to be fair and clear there's no real way to deal with with it.

Secondly I've been thinking about this a lot and I think there should be no NMC, but instead a beginners category. New members would be able to post anywhere immediately but, by moving threads if needs be, would be encouraged to post in the beginner category first. This means people who are new to the forum but not new to trials would not be 'trapped' in the same forum as absolute beginners.

Cheers

Thought I'd add my two cents here on the topic of the member population. ie: young old, new old-timers.

Firstly I think the young old divide really shouldn't be a problem but when you have a sport that looks impressive you will always attract some young enthusiastic, sometimes misguided, people. I think that's pretty unique to trials and other than mods who are willing to be fair and clear there's no real way to deal with with it.

Secondly I've been thinking about this a lot and I think there should be no NMC, but instead a beginners category. New members would be able to post anywhere immediately but, by moving threads if needs be, would be encouraged to post in the beginner category first. This means people who are new to the forum but not new to trials would not be 'trapped' in the same forum as absolute beginners.

Cheers

NMC isn't there to filter out new riders, it's to filter out idiotic people that previously ruined the forum.

People that can't / refuse to spell correctly, people that spam, people that just generally don't contribute to the forum - you'll see full members put back in NMC sometimes if they start to slack.

I think NMC is an awesome idea, there's a LOT of idiots in there and this forum would go straight down the toilet if they were left to roam all the sections.

NMC isn't there to filter out new riders

But it can have that effect.

I think new members is doing a little less bad than it is good. I'd rather have some people posting crap once in a while than knowing some 'could be' members sign up and leave after a few weeks because they don't get validated.

But it can have that effect.

I think new members is doing a little less bad than it is good. I'd rather have some people posting crap once in a while than knowing some 'could be' members sign up and leave after a few weeks because they don't get validated.

It wouldn't be "some people" though, do you realise how much of NMC is crap? I'd honestly say 70% of NMC threads are re-posted, badly written trash. Trust me, this forum would be so much worse off if NMC was let loose.

It wouldn't be "some people" though, do you realise how much of NMC is crap? I'd honestly say 70% of NMC threads are re-posted, badly written trash. Trust me, this forum would be so much worse off if NMC was let loose.

Yeah i agree the system works, and it shouldn't just be done away with at all. It just seems very unfair to the people who should be validated but get overlooked and not noticed until they leave.

Yeah i agree the system works, and it shouldn't just be done away with at all. It just seems very unfair to the people who should be validated but get overlooked and not noticed until they leave.

Which is a very small percentage. Most of the people worthy of validation are validated in the first week.

I'd estimate more than 50% of the reports every day are suggesting people for validation. Get involved ;)

To d6116 - your idea is sound in principle. However, new members don't have the report function any more because so many NMC members were using the 'report' button as the 'reply' button. If there are that many people that don't even check if they're reporting or replying to a post, then I doubt a complicated set of guidelines suggesting they should post in X forum would really work?

JT, I suppose that's what I was trying to say :) put a bit better.

But OBM you put that worry to bed. Might have to try my hand at recommending worthy people :)

The guidelines wouldn't have to be complicated; but it sounds like complicated or not it wouldn't matter as they just wouldn't read them full-stop.

Seems like you were right TheScientist the unworthy, and illiterate, shouldn't be let loose.

• 2 weeks later...