A Line In The Sand

Rich Pearson

People always seem to think one thing they say gets them banned.

It doesn't.

There's a difference between a ban and a suspension that seems to be being missed here though. A ban is only enforced (so I understand) after numerous warnings/suspensions and the person continues to persist. It seems like a lot of mods will give a suspension along with a warn just to let the person know they mean business.

There's a difference between a ban and a suspension that seems to be being missed here though. A ban is only enforced (so I understand) after numerous warnings/suspensions and the person continues to persist. It seems like a lot of mods will give a suspension along with a warn just to let the person know they mean business.

Every warn past the first gets a ban IIRC.

*Kinda a pointless thing to say. I was seeing Ban and what you see as suspension. (Which should be a ban-able offense, bloody spring loving buggers !)

(Y)

Edited by Pashley26

If you read the guidelines, the 1 warning = 1 day ban. Sometimes I will be more lenient and just increase the warning or ban for, say, 12 hours. But usually if they've caused enough trouble to need a warning, they can have 24 hours out to think about it.

But yeah, TheScientist is right - people get warned on the basis of their behaviour over time. If someone has been irritating and annoying, causing many arguments over several weeks, then of course no mod is going to think twice about giving them a suspension. Kind of like Al Capone being done for tax evasion. On the other hand, if someone is uncharacteristically rude when they're normally a very helpful and polite member, they're more likely to be let off.

theres a few issues as i see it: 1) the generation gap; not so much in age, but across the forum, there seems to be the groupings of people that have been around a while,(or the "in crowd" as the "Young'uns") would call them. Haz, JonMack, Matt Orr etc ( i could include prawn,bigman etc but there somehow not quite the same, as they dont seem to be quite as chit chat exclusive whores) and then the younger new generation of people that have just been validated. and they just seem to mix.

Just interested, where do I fall in that because I am chit chat exclusive (pretty much) i'm young-ish (for this place, especially compared to you you old git) but I wouldnt say I was part of the 'In crowd'.

Just had a great idea...

Hows about keeping NMC closed for posting by normal members ?

Was going to say that the majority of NMC is NMs asking advice, which alot of people can provide but alot of those people arent in NMC

Also, I've heard a lot of comments like "more work for the mods" and "the mods don't get paid". Lets not forget there's dozens of TF members out there willing to put work into this forum, and the only power they have is to report.

I personally agree with this, more mods need to be inforcing the rules. Wether you upgrade a few SM's or even get a few members straight in, it needs to be done. I can understand why perhaps you want as few a people as necessary but if the workload is increasing, then perhaps the burden needs to be spread. I think that there should be like mod trials (any other forum that wouldn't have a duel meaning) where people deemed responsible enough are given mod powers for say a week. Then once their week is over its anothers turn until at the end of the trial there is a few people that could potentially do the job. Its then up to the SM's, Mods and Admins to decide who to keep on. A social rule of this forum is not to suggest yourself for a role, people assume (correctly or incorrectly) that this will hamper their chances of getting said role. I think that self nomination would be a good way to sort out potential mods/sm's. I can see a problem in picking people being that they not only have to be able to do it, but willing to aswell.

Being willing to do it and being suitable to do it are two completely different things ;)

Was referance to above.

But anyway, i don't know what goes on behind the scenes, all i can do is suggest the idea, and let you lot work out whether it'll be viable or not. :P

I dont know if it is just me, being neither a senior or a mod, but there has always been a bit of curiousity about what goes on in the whole sm chat area?

Not always the case, (I hate to argue with you :() I've got 4 bans 3 of which for saying throw away comments that go completely against my nature and posting habits.

Thats because everyone hates you and you have a tiny willy. (I dont really have to explain myself do I?)

________________________________________________________________________________

To me, as mentioned before in this thread, the problem is people taking this place to seriously. sometimes people need to look from another perspective. One thing I would suggest is, if you think interaction between one member and another is out of order, before running your mouth/keys, try waiting to see if either party if infact offended. Posts such as 'oh my god you were well out of order lyk' are the ones that cause the problems as people then end up trying to tell that person why he is wrong. Perhaps their should be a ability to take a joke part to the validation process :P

EDIT: More typing is required, I went to toilet and had a brainstorm haha.

I think you have to look at tf as a village community almost. You have your admins, mods and sm's who are your counsil members, local mps, police etc. Then you have your villagers, some more liked then others, some better known then others. But to these villagers, the well known other villagers are just referance points, its not so much they dont like them, but within this community there are certain referances. (Your as naive as Fatty, as well liked as Prawn, as disliked as that charlie jennings kid) They are more a reflection of general opinion, rather then the individuals. A major factor or contributor to the persona of this place is the age demographic. How many people here are over the age of 30? One thing people have in common at this age and probably throughout life is that popularity is seen as a positive thing. Many people strive to achieve popularity, others just earn it but it is something that is wanted to different extents throughout this place and I see it was being a problem

Edited by Has anyone seen my shoe?

Christ how bored were you ;) but you make some very good points. The whole mod trials thing sounds like a really good idea, there are people who spend a lot of time on this forum, just cruising around, not necessarily posting, but just reading threads, and seeing what is going down, people like that would be perfect for the role.

the thing is, u can say that, im not fussed

but if i said 360 spoke drilling n00000b id get banned.

thats the problem.

Mat

I doubt you'd get banned, but I don't really understand what that post is supposed to mean, is it because I have a light bike?

I don't know if you've ever ridden what one would consider a light bike, but I'm sure if you did, you would realise how much easier it makes tricks. It would probably help you improve on things such as sidehops and taps, because if you put the same amount of effort you're putting in on your say, 12kg bike, on a 10kg bike, that 60" sidehop or whatever might not be that far outta reach. Might be something to consider before you go bashing all these "clown bike riders". (Although to this day I've still no idea what that means).

I can honestly say I have never had a bad response from someone who has ridden my bike, people like Grant, who IMO is a tgs rider, has often come up to me at rides and asked for a go on my bike, same with BJH. he rode it at Bristol and fell in love with it straight away. You have to put in so little effort to ride it, that it makes the whole sport a lot more fun, and I actually enjoy finding the lightest parts to build my bike with. It's got to the point now, where if I change my front tyre, it will be sub 8kg, which to me is a fairly big step, it's not until recently, with the release of the new Koxx mods, that sub 8 has been easy to reach, so I'm really happy that I've managed to get close to it.

Edited by Mark King

Christ how bored were you ;)

I like discussions, I just got back from rugby training then the pub so I was in a reflective mood. Plus I hadnt checked this thread past page 2 :)

I know it sounds sad but this place means alot for a lot of people. How many have this as their home page, how many visit daily, how many visit more then once daily? Its just crazy how you can get caught up in something that really is quite unimportant if you think about it. The banter you get on here can be as good as you can get in any pub so its nice to see that the place is being run well and its nice to feel that you can make a contribution to the good running of it.

EDIT: Nice edit there. :P No I do genuinely believe people that you might think "well he doesnt really do much other then ......"may just be the perfect type of person to mod.

My point about the village community kind of thind is semi proved aswell by your signature. I know for a fact that you and fatty get along. Its probably due to the fact that he can be a bit of a penis that you get along. Some people might see it as you just ripping him but the pair of you know that its all good.

EDIT: Also stop editing your posts. dont feel you have to explain to him why you choose to have your bike the way you do although I must say you said it in a non patronising and non insulting way which impressed me

Christ how bored were you ;) but you make some very good points. The whole mod trials thing sounds like a really good idea, there are people who spend a lot of time on this forum, just cruising around, not necessarily posting, but just reading threads, and seeing what is going down, people like that would be perfect for the role.

I doubt you'd get banned, but I don't really understand what that post is supposed to mean, is it because I have a light bike?

I don't know if you've ever ridden what one would consider a light bike, but I'm sure if you did, you would realise how much easier it makes tricks. It would probably help you improve on things such as sidehops and taps, because if you put the same amount of effort you're putting in on your say, 12kg bike, on a 10kg bike, that 60" sidehop or whatever might not be that far outta reach. Might be something to consider before you go bashing all these "clown bike riders". (Although to this day I've still no idea what that means).

I can honestly say I have never had a bad response from someone who has ridden my bike, people like Grant, who IMO is a tgs rider, has often come up to me at rides and asked for a go on my bike, same with BJH. he rode it at Bristol and fell in love with it straight away. You have to put in so little effort to ride it, that it makes the whole sport a lot more fun, and I actually enjoy finding the lightest parts to build my bike with. It's got to the point now, where if I change my front tyre, it will be sub 8kg, which to me is a fairly big step, it's not until recently, with the release of the new Koxx mods, that sub 8 has been easy to reach, so I'm really happy that I've managed to get close to it.

Clown bikes are normally 20 inch, but I ride mod, soo...

Yeah I've ridden light bikes before and i feel like im going to kill it, or it's goin' to fly under me, but other than that, do whatever, it's your bike.

I'll stick to my bike and my sidehops, you stick to whatever you do, I really cba anymore lol.

Mat

Edited by Mat Smith!

Just interested, where do I fall in that because I am chit chat exclusive (pretty much) i'm young-ish (for this place, especially compared to you you old git) but I wouldnt say I was part of the 'In crowd'.

Yeah I'd like to know too ! I'm the In crowd instigator but I'm 20 :lol:

Was going to say that the majority of NMC is NMs asking advice, which alot of people can provide but alot of those people arent in NMC

Very true, but 9 out of 10 of those topics can be answered using the search feature. Which is good netiquette and something you'd expect a full member to do. But still it's a very valid flaw in my master plan....

Hows about Regular Members only being allowed to post in the sticked important threads, then if there clever enough to read title descriptions they'll post in RSQ or the like ?

I dont know if it is just me, being neither a senior or a mod, but there has always been a bit of curiousity about what goes on in the whole sm chat area?

Word !

Thats because everyone hates you and you have a tiny willy. (I dont really have to explain myself do I?)

I'm not disputing the size of my little chap, but not everyone hates me :)

I'm really failing to see some peoples problems on here. For the length I've been here I don't think I've ever been slated at all; I don't think I have any 'e-enimies' on here or anything like that - so I don't see how other people do...other than opening their mouths a little too wide on some occasions.

I have one warn for sexism - sure, I could moan and bitch about it and say 'What about the Photos of your Girlfriend Thread', but whats the point? I got it through someone else not agreeing with me (not that I actually meant it seriously anyway!) and the Moderators had to been seen to do something about it - I can live with that!

Regarding the bullying issue (sorry to bring up Fat Pants again), but some people just don't know when to stop a joke. People jump on the bandwagon and simply push it too far - slating him for the slightest thing. I've never met him but he sounds like a genuinely good guy, more genuine than most members on here.

I just thing people need to loosen up on here and chill out a bit.

I'm not disputing the size of my little chap, but not everyone hates me :)

I cant tell whether you thought I was serious or not, I wasn't.

I'm really failing to see some peoples problems on here. For the length I've been here I don't think I've ever been slated at all; I don't think I have any 'e-enimies' on here or anything like that - so I don't see how other people do...other than opening their mouths a little too wide on some occasions.

Yeah for quite a while anzo you were like poopipe well liked by everyone becuase you were funny without getting personal. Since then i think you post a bit less but still make good posts so there is no reason for anyone to dislike you.

funny without getting personal.

Thats the thing now, I could easily take the piss out of a lot of people on here, I've typed stuff up and clicked 'Back' because I know exactly how they'll react and its just not worth all the hassle for the sake of a joke.

Everyones turned into a misrable shit, including me!

Thats the thing now, I could easily take the piss out of a lot of people on here, I've typed stuff up and clicked 'Back' because I know exactly how they'll react and its just not worth all the hassle for the sake of a joke.

Everyones turned into a misrable shit, including me!

Yeah that back buttoon on my browser is a good friend haha. usually what I end up doing is linking someone to the post on msn and then saying it on there haha

Yeah that back buttoon on my browser is a good friend haha. usually what I end up doing is linking someone to the post on msn and then saying it on there haha

Its a very good technique to use though. It allows you to write/type out your frustration or annoyance to someone with as many profanities as you wish, and get it out of your system, but without the need to escalate the situation.

I actually don't like that idea at all, and it's nothing to do with extra work for me. Basically IMO there's already a bit of an atmosphere of 'snitching' - I.e. someone will report something fairly menial, because it's someone they don't like. Letting the snitch know they are directly responsible for getting someone suspended is the last thing I would want. At the end of the day, if I read the report, then it's my decision to close the thread/ issue suspensions etc, not the person who reported it, and I'm fairly confident that's the best way for it.

At the moment I know it might seem like a fairly thankless task to report someone, but again I'd say (as Rich already has) that it's very useful for us and it doesn't go unnoticed. So thank you to everyone that has reported stuff in the past, and I'm sorry we can't issue personalised thank yous to everyone :P

If people do report something instead of wading in with their own opinion, I generally put a "Thanks to the people who reported this thread" thing in there. For the most part though, it's pretty obvious when something's been done about a thread, in that it'll usually be a post being edited or deleted, or the thread being closed (Or more recently, the majority of reports I've dealt with have been "this person should be validated", where if they deserve it I'll validate them, and if they don't I won't). If someone's got a warn or not, to me that doesn't matter to anyone else? If everyone knew what everyone else's warns were, there'd be no end of baiting people who were on 80% or whatever to get them banned - especially by some people on here - so I'd prefer it if people didn't know.

Not always the case, (I hate to argue with you :( ) I've got 4 bans 3 of which for saying throw away comments that go completely against my nature and posting habits.

I'll PM you my address and we'll sort out the "Internet Hardmen" from the gobby little c**ts ?

This is the second time you've f**ked me off, And there won't be a third.

;)

And what's your point ?

Can you not see why that might get you warned?

The point people have been trying to make in this thread is that regardless of how badly someone rubs you up the wrong way, too many people on here are failing to take a step back and leave it. Instead they have to big themselves up in a manner which A) Makes them look like a tit B ) Proves nothing and isn't very intimidating anyway and C) Just makes things/the general forum atmosphere worse.

I think that there should be, and I'm sure there is anyway, a zero tolerance policy on threats like that because it's just too far and no one wants to read it. Anything which is quite clearly beyond a joke and is just on a personal level should be treated with a warn and the mods should be left to deal with anyone that needs to be toed into line.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean it in a "WTF's that sposed' to mean ?" way (hence the edit 2 min's before you posted).

I just don't see why* Mark finds it necessary to quote a situation which can only make me look stupid ? Hardly very "senior" is it.

*I think I know but I don't want to draw the wrong conclusions.