How To ? Yes, I Tried Search

streetjibs

Gotta pull my wheel apart to build new tryall single wall rim.. have to remove rear cog to lace up spokes through hub flange.

I have realised that Koxx didnt use any grease on there and im worried it wont be an easy task to remove the rear cog?

Any tricks .. tips ... advice???

any help greatly appreciated

danny.

Assuming this is a screw on fixed hub......

Get a chainwhip and just undo it :)

If you dont have a chain whip then a length of old chain and a vice will work just aswell; wrap the chain around the sprocket and put the 2 loose ends in the vice jaws, use the wheel to turn the sprocket off - remember to turn it the right way ;)

wrap a chain around the cog (an old chain),

put wheel in a vice fixed to a table / floor / somewhere strong. (the cog in the vice obviously)

get you and a mate and turn the wheel the wheel the opposite way to which way the cog would have gone on. someone will have to confirm this for me.

turn the wheel with all the power you have, and it should come off with some proper pasty

ED YOU BAST**D

Edited by ben_travis

wrap a chain around the cog (an old chain),

put wheel in a vice fixed to a table / floor / somewhere strong. (the cog in the vice obviously)

get you and a mate and turn the wheel the wheel the opposite way to which way the cog would have gone on. someone will have to confirm this for me.

turn the wheel with all the power you have, and it should come off with some proper pasty

ED YOU BAST**D

Muahahahahahaha :D

Now go find some scales :P

edit: the sprocket will be r/h thread so if the wheel is in the vice with the sprocket on the underside then you need to turn the wheel anticlock when looking from above (think of unscrewing a bolt from a hole ;) ). If you have a chainwhip then you need to undo the sprocket anticlock with the sprocket facing you.

Edited by forteh

ahh right :) thanks for the quick and useful replies... much appreciated.

i surprise myself at how obvious that was and how dumb i am (@ times!!)

edit - just realised why i couldnt figure it out... i was thinking how to get the cog off the hub alone, not the whole wheel.

Note to self, dont pull wheel apart before gettin cog off!!!!!!!!

Edited by streetjibs

ahhhh a noobie error :P.

hmmm, chainwhip looks like your best choice, but how to keep a grip of the hub while you do it will be a problem

IMHO I dont think youre going to be getting it off without the rim and spokes, certainly not without causing pretty major hub flange damage from having to grip it in a vice :(

I did exactly the same on my king hub and the lockring was too tight to get off, easy solution was to just pop the axle and driveshell out of the hub, of course you cant actually do this >_<

If I was in your position I would relace the wheel with enough spokes to allow you to turn the sprocket off, I reckon 8 either side should be enough :)

You don't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting it off with just a chainwhip. If you need to resuse the cog wrap some chain round it (as McBen said) and stick it in a vice. Leave the tyre on for extra purchase and with a lot of force it'll come off.

Good point, Ive never used FFW or fixed sprockets, only cassettes and lockrings so not fully conversant :(

I would vice the 2 loose ends of the chain though, if you clamp the sprocket in the vice tight enough to stop it slipping then youre likely to be deforming the thread and making your job harder :(

See my attached quick autocad sketch of what I would do :)

post-6335-1224237684_thumb.jpg

Edited by forteh