Disc Hub Dilema!

eskimo

I refuse to buy a Monty hub at £70 plus Sprocket. And no one seems to have one for sale. The Echo Disc Hub has a 12mm axle which is machined down to 10mm after the snail cams placement ready for the dropout. And i'm using a Monty 221pr. So it won't fit, but the hub is cheap and come with cog. I was planning to lathe down the axle by 2mm each side so i don't have to spread my dropouts and then run the snail cams on the outside. I think i have enough axle length to run the snail cams on the outside. I will have to check. But the main question being, could i run a Hope Mono disc after doing this mod? Will the rotor be too close to the frame you reckon? As i could just spacer the caliper to the appropriate place anyway.

Any ideas?

Also i could possibly save money buying a King or Profile. As i won't have to buy a new crankset. Profile disc hubs with 3 piece axle are £140 delivered from the US, but i can't find King Disc Hubs at Aspire.

Any help would be great.

I was planning to lathe down the axle by 2mm each side so i don't have to spread my dropouts and then run the snail cams on the outside. I think i have enough axle length to run the snail cams on the outside. I will have to check. But the main question being, could i run a Hope Mono disc after doing this mod? Will the rotor be too close to the frame you reckon? As i could just spacer the

The best bet for axle modification would be to just file a 10mm flat on each end of the axle... However, this will put the disc mount in the wrong place as you said :(

The best bet for axle modification would be to just file a 10mm flat on each end of the axle... However, this will put the disc mount in the wrong place as you said :(

I've just realised that the caliper sits on the inside of the disc mount so i couldn't actually space it out 3mm. Though i could file the disc mount in 3mm which isn't a very good idea. So there isn't any chance of it working is there? :angry:

God damn Monty!

Whilst you have access to a lathe, why cant you face the disk tabs down on the hub by 3mm? Aslong as you have 1 diameter thread depth on the screw you should be ok, rotor bolts are usually M5 so aslong as you have a 5mm thick disk tab you should be fine :)

If that isnt an option just take all of the material off the drive side so that the the disk tabs are still in their normal position relative to the caliper mounts, will have to redish the wheel slightly.

Edited by forteh

PM PaRtZ, he's got a complete wheel for sale I believe.

Thanks.

Whilst you have access to a lathe, why cant you face the disk tabs down on the hub by 3mm? Aslong as you have 1 diameter thread depth on the screw you should be ok, rotor bolts are usually M5 so aslong as you have a 5mm thick disk tab you should be fine :)

If that isnt an option just take all of the material off the drive side so that the the disk tabs are still in their normal position relative to the caliper mounts, will have to redish the wheel slightly.

Idea one, sketchy :ermm: (for me, as it's my mate's lathe)

Idea two would work i think. Means running the snail cams inside and out. But i'm not sure i want to go through with that one. (Y)

I think Adam Griffin might have a rear disc wheel for sale Nick, give him a PM.

Again, thanks.

Monty_boi also has a Monty rear disc wheel for sale, have a look in the forsale section.

Thanks.

I did try him before the weekend but he hasn't got back to me. I replied back in his topic earlier. Obviously not that keen on selling i guess.

£70?! Pah- in my day to go rear disc on a mod you had to pay £175 for a megamo hub... which then smashed into pieces after about a year. Happy days. Or not.

Hey! I bet your not much older than me.

It's no the fact it's £70, it's the fact that it's not worth £70 in my eyes. Like the Hope Mono is going to cost £120 but i see that as worth the money. :)