bigamac

Apple or PC?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Apple or PC?

• Apple
    • PC
    • Both

We're all missing the point...

Trackpads - be it Mac or PC, suck. Royally.

I've not once in my entire life (All 24 years of it) used a trackpad that is any good.

My Macbook one seems very good considering how much trackpads do usually suck. It's very precise on most things! :)

Dual graphics cards, don't really see that in many laptops.

http://www.techspot.com/review/9-alienware...a-m9700-laptop/

http://www.widowpc.com/2006/02/sli_laptop.php

And seeing as those are pretty old, i thought i'd get one from someone apple always get compared to.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/produ...;l=en&s=dhs

And its not really dual graphics in the true sense of the phrase. Its two chips, which is a very bizarre work around to just lowering the graphics clocks when in 2d and 3d modes. Hardly something to shout about.

We're all missing the point...

Trackpads - be it Mac or PC, suck. Royally.

I've not once in my entire life (All 24 years of it) used a trackpad that is any good.

You ever used a Mac trackpad? I got to the point with mine when doing vectors, that I could move it as little as 1 pixel. I've never used a PC trackpad which has been any good, the feedback of them has always seemed all wrong, but the Apple ones are a completely different story.

http://www.techspot.com/review/9-alienware...a-m9700-laptop/

http://www.widowpc.com/2006/02/sli_laptop.php

And seeing as those are pretty old, i thought i'd get one from someone apple always get compared to.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/produ...;l=en&s=dhs

And its not really dual graphics in the true sense of the phrase. Its two chips, which is a very bizarre work around to just lowering the graphics clocks when in 2d and 3d modes. Hardly something to shout about.

Did you read what I said? Don't see that in many laptops. I didn't say Apple are the first company in the world to do it, I'm well aware that other people have done it. I'm more than willing to hold out for benchmarks to see what the performance boosts over the old MacBook Pros are.

You ever used a Mac trackpad? I got to the point with mine when doing vectors, that I could move it as little as 1 pixel. I've never used a PC trackpad which has been any good, the feedback of them has always seemed all wrong, but the Apple ones are a completely different story.

Bah I can move mine half a pixel.

(edit: It's a PC)

Edited by Extreme_biker0

Macs are so much better then PC's:

Trying to take a non biased approach......Firstly, Apple provides the operating system on CD when you purchase a new Mac, majority of PC manufactures don't do that and if they do, it is most likely a customized edition of Windows to that vendor e.g. Acer - Also with Macs the OS is built all around the hardware as its all produced by Apple. Windows is built around many hardware manufacturers , so you do get something that little bit more special with Macs and the way they run so smoothly because of that.

I don't know why people presume that Macs are only good for movie production and graphics (yes they rule at it!). However OS X is Unix based and with programs like Xcode you can actually write your own programs and applications pretty easily with a little bit of knowledge. It comes with Apache servers built into the OS as well as PHP and with software available like textmate (handles pretty much any web programming language) they are excellent for Web Development etc.

Viruses.... the big one - I have never encountered a virus on my Macs, granted that the PC sales compared to Mac is not comparable so viruses are not aimed at Macs in the scale they are with Windows, but even still I believe that Macs are more secure to surf the web and download things without problems. I just find with Windows I spend half my time getting the things to run the programs I want, do the things I want it to do. With Macs productivity is so much faster and in my eyes it has been proven because everyone at my work has been upgraded to Macs and we are finding a major difference in getting tasks done quickly with big software.

At the end of the day, PC's live up to their name; 'personal computers' and if your not doing anything beyond watching movies, email, music etc you are probably better off saving your money and getting a PC in all fairness as you will get a much better spec in terms of RAM memory and Hard Disk.

I run Windows on my Mac anyway, so effectively I have OS X, Windows and Unix running on one system running smooth as silk- can't really top that....

Edited by dan08

Note how on the apple site that the first tab is 'Design' rather than anything to do with how well the thing actually works or the spec!

Let me answer that with a quote:

Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.

How many mice appear on the screen = x

How many 'touches' are useful = y

x = y

The above is irrevocable mathematical proof that macs are crap.

By that exact logic you could argue that computer mouses (mice?) should only have one button...

Personally I find two finger scrolling so useful, and after using my phone which has TouchFlo 3D scrolling through music and files is so much easier, I imagine three finger photo scrolling would be rad while checking shots in Aperture. Also app switching just with your fingers on the trackpad instead of Apple Tab would probably make you slightly more productive. They may only seem like little things but I'm sure Tomm can back me up, once you've used Quicksilver using a Mac without it is so slow!!

Two finger scrolling is awesome. It's just so natural and obvious, you have to wonder why no one thought of it before. I have to say that I am a bit sceptical about the three and four-finger gestures though, but you don't have to use them! For some people they will be useful, for others maybe not. Personally I think using four fingers on a trackpad might be a bit awkward. Also not convinced by the idea that the trackpad itself is a button, but I haven't actually used it so I'd find it hard to comment on that.

Did you read what I said? Don't see that in many laptops. I didn't say Apple are the first company in the world to do it, I'm well aware that other people have done it. I'm more than willing to hold out for benchmarks to see what the performance boosts over the old MacBook Pros are.

Did you read what i said? Apple seem to be the only ones i can recall that have done it in such a messed up way :P

Macs are so much better then PC's:

Trying to take a non biased approach......Firstly, Apple provides the operating system on CD when you purchase a new Mac, majority of PC manufactures don't do that and if they do, it is most likely a customized edition of Windows to that vendor e.g. Acer - Also with Macs the OS is built all around the hardware as its all produced by Apple. Windows is built around many hardware manufacturers , so you do get something that little bit more special with Macs and the way they run so smoothly because of that.

I'm using OSX on my pc tower, all i can say is they're both proving to be running about the same in comparison to each other, both for speed, stability etc.

So your saying that everyone who makes a computer tower puts their own branded (admittedly the vista ones are usually just a logo change to dell, etc) software on it? Including macs :P

I run Windows on my Mac anyway, so effectively I have OS X, Windows and Unix running on one system running smooth as silk- can't really top that....

I have OSX running on my pc tower with vista and linux. That beats it :D

But it works, so what more do you want?

Yeah it works, cleaning your teeth with sandpaper works but its still a STUPID way of doing it.

Not having another graphics core, circuitry and dedicated cooling system is lighter than having 2 and would undoubtedly be cheaper.

They're just cashing in on the idiots who look at it like they'd have just had the standard slower chipset, but then apple stuck another one in so they can have a super fast one if they want. The more technically minded person questions why they don't just reduce the clocks of the faster one for 2d work, hardly a tricky job... i mean, i've done it to mine and i don't have a dedicated R&D department.

So your saying that everyone who makes a computer tower puts their own branded (admittedly the vista ones are usually just a logo change to dell, etc) software on it? Including macs :P

No the point I was trying to make is that most PC's don't come with the Windows CD they are just pre-installed on the system and if they do, it is branded to that machine and can only be used on that specific computer (Yes technically macs are the same :P but at least you always get a copy of the OS when you buy a mac)

Discs are available from the manufacturers though, and some come with the re-format software on a seperate partition. Admittedly its not great, but if your buying a half decent computer from a respectable company it will come with the actual windows disc. Having the disc included doesn't make them better machines though.

The hardware is just standard hardware really though, its not specially designed. The operating system runs on my custom built pc tower exactly the same as it is doing on a mac, save for a few exceptions and thats mostly driver related stuff like my soundcard not being designed for macs. Even on a mac its not silky smooth, it can and does hang. No operating system is perfect, yet.

As far as i was aware OSX doesn't have a serial number on the installation disc, so you can't just install from any old disc and use the serial thats keyed to your machine like you can with a windows one. Ergo, you HAVE to have a disc.

As far as i was aware OSX doesn't have a serial number on the installation disc, so you can't just install from any old disc and use the serial thats keyed to your machine like you can with a windows one. Ergo, you HAVE to have a disc.

Nope. I downloaded a copy of Leopard as soon as it was out, put it on my iPod and just boot and install it from FW. Have done it on about 8-10 Macs with no problem what so ever, I haven't bought a copy of an OS since... well... ever.

Exactly, so for a paying customer with "morals" if they didn't include the disc they wouldn't be able to re-install the OS. I guess apple are just relying on the fact that the system is only designed for their hardware so they won't really be losing out massively on the sales.

Apple release a new OS every 18-24 months anyway so they regularly get OS sales from users with older machines, but yeah, if they didn't include it I guess you'd have to buy it, god knows, to be honest I don't really have a clue what you're talking about, but it's all good.

Night :)

Apple release a new OS every 18-24 months anyway so they regularly get OS sales from users with older machines, but yeah, if they didn't include it I guess you'd have to buy it, god knows, to be honest I don't really have a clue what you're talking about, but it's all good.

Night :)

Its a sort of wandering sidestep from apple supplying a disc with each pc where as windows vendors often don't. Out of curiosity if you lose the disc that came with your apple machine and ring them up to seek a replacement, do they send out a new one or try and charge you for a replacement OS?

Went into town and had a go on one of the new macbooks today.

Very impressed, they look really nice, nice bright screen etc and the new track pad is really good. Very smooth and responsive and the whole pad being a button works great as well. All the gestures work well on it too and I can see a lot of people finding them really useful.

Its a sort of wandering sidestep from apple supplying a disc with each pc where as windows vendors often don't. Out of curiosity if you lose the disc that came with your apple machine and ring them up to seek a replacement, do they send out a new one or try and charge you for a replacement OS?

Pretty sure you get a new set for free.

Went into town and had a go on one of the new macbooks today.

Very impressed, they look really nice, nice bright screen etc and the new track pad is really good. Very smooth and responsive and the whole pad being a button works great as well. All the gestures work well on it too and I can see a lot of people finding them really useful.

yeh had a quick play with one, really nice to use. however way overpriced, 950 quid is a joke.