Apple Or Pc?

bigamac

Apple or PC?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Apple or PC?

• Apple
    • PC
    • Both

I'm starting to see though that there really is no differences between them really, they both run at the same speeds, both have the same functions. I think it really is coming down to a difference of visual features.

It's not just that at all. I find it really hard to explain. Of course I could go on about how Macs are so much more stable and how you can't get viruses but that would be bollocks since XP never crashes for me and I haven't ever had a virus with it either. I think it's just the navigation makes a lot more sense to me. Finder just seems better than Windows explorer - moving files about is easier. Quickview is cool, Spotlight is awesome. Just a load of little things that make it seem better (to me).

It's just hard to see what Windows actually does for the user. It's just a base for programs to run from - it doesn't seem to "do" anything useful in and of itself.

That's the whole point of an OS though isn't it?!

I knew you were going to point that out. I posted it, re-read it, and realised you were reading the topic. But meh :P

I suppose you're right. But OS X seems to have loads of extra little features to help you out, make things easier. I can get stuff done quicker on OS X, that I am sure of. So that's why I like it.

Er, no? Besides the fact that the idea of a computer race sounds really gay, I said that it was faster for me. I don't know why you think I would lie about something like that?

Can I ask you a question? Why do you think I like OS X?

Let me guess. You are thinking one of the following...

1) Because I'm too stupid to operate a normal computer

2) Because I'm like a 2 year old child distracted by pretty animations

3) Because it allows me to feel smug about myself

Any advances on any of those options?

Yes, spotlight is ridiculously fast, especially compared to the thing in windows vista that searches some random stuff and doesn't always find things.

Is there a specific reason apple don't try and take on the gaming market? I know loads of examples of times when games unexpectedly quit out or a display driver causes a restart etc. If apple could keep the stability idea running and allowed for easy interchanging of graphics cards then i'm sure that would be the best solution.

Now i have the choice, i keep wanting to use vista, purely because it does more. I reckon if the mac was able to do the whole gaming malarky i'd probably switch to this OS full time as the stability idea seems pretty good.

It's not just that at all. I find it really hard to explain. Of course I could go on about how Macs are so much more stable and how you can't get viruses but that would be bollocks since XP never crashes for me and I haven't ever had a virus with it either. I think it's just the navigation makes a lot more sense to me. Finder just seems better than Windows explorer - moving files about is easier. Quickview is cool, Spotlight is awesome. Just a load of little things that make it seem better (to me).

It's just hard to see what Windows actually does for the user. It's just a base for programs to run from - it doesn't seem to "do" anything useful in and of itself.

Don't forget i'm comparing vista and OSX, i don't use XP anymore. The file system navigation is pretty similar, they both have exactly the same "features" (read as gimmicks) they both perform the same speed wise. it literally is just a change in styles. The OSX stuff seems slightly more minimalistic, as vista icons have been redesigned to be pretty HUGE and the menu bars are bigger etc.

I tried applying some filters to the same massive image files (few hundred mb per image) and they're running literally exactly the same speed. Same versions of photoshop, same files, same filters, same hardware. They seemed to be within a second of each other or less (my stopwatch being clicked isn't 100% accurate :P)

EDIT: Stability on the mac isn't fantastic either. I've crashed the colorsync utility and ultimately the activity monitor as well, which resulted in a pretty hefty system hang and me waiting for a spinning colour wheel to take a hike before i could do anything again.

Clicking on X11 in the utilities folder also resulted in a crash and a continuous error message popping up every 20 seconds. An error message f**k off and keeps making itself the dominant running program causing me to type in intervals. Gonna have to restart to fix it.

EDIT: Stability on the mac isn't fantastic either. I've crashed the colorsync utility and ultimately the activity monitor as well, which resulted in a pretty hefty system hang and me waiting for a spinning colour wheel to take a hike before i could do anything again.

Clicking on X11 in the utilities folder also resulted in a crash and a continuous error message popping up every 20 seconds. An error message f**k off and keeps making itself the dominant running program causing me to type in intervals. Gonna have to restart to fix it.

You're not running native OS X though are you? You're running a hacked copy that isn't designed for that hardware, really.

Yeah that sounds like a driver issue or perhaps the hacked version doesn't have all the X11 files installed. Either way that sort of crash has never happened to me.

Is it workable though Kris? I would like to put OS X on my PC, but I never get round to it. I think I would miss media centre (which is basically all I use the PC for).

Yeah its absolutely fine, aside from the X11 thing (i don't even know what it does :lol:) I know its not mac hardware, but the regenerated error message constantly cycling was definitely an OS problem, not a hardware one.

Once i'd gotten over the major hurdles like the screen resolution and no support for the creative soundcard its been bright as a button. Now when my pc starts up i can choose to have it in vista or OSX, which is great. My dads getting me a newer version of quark too and a big old postscript font stash. Now i just need lightroom for the mac too and i'll be loving it.

Is everyone excited? I'm looking at you here, Dave :P

I am lol. Ive been needing to get a laptop for months but didnt wana buy the plastic macbooks knowing theres a new one around the corner.

Wish Id just bought one now as been waiting so long

Edited by chrishayton

Gimmick in what way? I love your ignorance and how dismissive you are of everything.

It's bad isn't it... I can't help it though, apple just annoy me for some reason- probably stemming from that week wind tunnel test a few years back. Ah well.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with a standard touchpad with a couple of buttons and don't see why I should ever need to incorporate "Multi-Touch gestures, including swipe, pinch, rotate, and the new four-finger swipe" into my daily computing.

It's bad isn't it... I can't help it though, apple just annoy me for some reason- probably stemming from that week wind tunnel test a few years back. Ah well.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with a standard touchpad with a couple of buttons and don't see why I should ever need to incorporate "Multi-Touch gestures, including swipe, pinch, rotate, and the new four-finger swipe" into my daily computing.

Personally I find two finger scrolling so useful, and after using my phone which has TouchFlo 3D scrolling through music and files is so much easier, I imagine three finger photo scrolling would be rad while checking shots in Aperture. Also app switching just with your fingers on the trackpad instead of Apple Tab would probably make you slightly more productive. They may only seem like little things but I'm sure Tomm can back me up, once you've used Quicksilver using a Mac without it is so slow!!