Custom Pc's And Upgrade Thread.

Boswell

I have played a bit on both the 280 and the GX2 with similar rigs and I'd definately say the 280.

The GX2 is essentially two 8800GT, with a few extra pixel shaders and pipelines, in a single card.

The 280 is a whole new architecture, kinda like the next generation of processors and stuff, so I'd suggest if you want something for the future, that's the best option. Most of the reviews and tests I have seen suggest this card is significantly better than the GX2, but whether it's worth 100 pounds more, I'm not sure.

Asked in RSQ but didn't get a reply. So...

Out of these 3 cards, which would you say is the best buy?

GTX 260

GTX 280

9800 GX2

The 280 is obviously the most expensive, but is it worth paying an extra 100 pounds over the 260 or 50 over the GX2? At the moment the only use I can think of is for gaming, but mainly I want one of these cards because of CUDA. At the moment the apps I use don't support this technology but when they do, it'll be worth having a card like this.

CUDA?

It basically will boost performance in apps that use it, little bit complicated but it will enable GPUs to become similar to CPUs but much more multi threaded due to their achitechture.

Oh and it stands for Compute Unified Device Architecture

Edited by ZeroMatt