Custom Pc's And Upgrade Thread.

Boswell

Current set up is

XFX 790i board

2 x 2gb ddr3 OCZ sticks (my old ddr2 sticks were quicker :S )

E8500 at 4.2GHz with only air cooling

2 x BFG GTX 280 running SLI most of the time

Samsung HD103UJ

Some old 1k watt psu I had forgotten about

All inside a lovely xclio windtunnel case with few extra fans

Pretty damned quick, absolutley love the E8500 but looking to upgrade soon.

Take it you live at home then or own an oil company lol

I got a pretty decent rig, does the job very nicely.

Lian Li case

Abit 650i Mobo

Intel e6600 2.4GHz @ 3.2Ghz

Zalman Processor Cooler

4GB Corasair XMS2

Corsair 520Watt PSU

ATi x1950 Pro (soon to be a 9800GT)

Creative Audigy ZS2 sound card

3x 500GB Western Digital HDDs

Samsung DVD+/-Writer

And as soon as I get round to putting it in, a Lian Li multicard rader.

Built last summer. Added 2HDDs and 2GB of ram since then...

Here's a quick snap of my system looking pretty ghetto at the moment as it's a new build and lacks a case :\.

Antec 500W Earthwatts/power (can't remember)

ASUS P5B-VM SE Motherboard

ASUS 8800GT 512MB (overclocked 690/1900/1000)

Intel E5200 currently at 2.7Ghz 900Mhz FSB on the stock cooler and paste

1x2GB Kingston PC6400 running at 980Mhz 5-5-5-18 (not pictured)

120GB IDE HDD

External CD/DVD/RW

Looking to upgrade to a P45 Chipset mobo, most probably the P5Q Pro

2x7200rpm xxxgb hdds in Raid 0

An Artic Cooler 7 with Artic Silver paste to increase the CPU overclock

And, of course, a case :P

thisone-1.jpg

I got a pretty decent rig, does the job very nicely.

Lian Li case

Abit 650i Mobo

Intel e6600 2.4GHz @ 3.2Ghz

Zalman Processor Cooler

4GB Corasair XMS2

Corsair 520Watt PSU

ATi x1950 Pro (soon to be a 9800GT)

Creative Audigy ZS2 sound card

3x 500GB Western Digital HDDs

Samsung DVD+/-Writer

And as soon as I get round to putting it in, a Lian Li multicard rader.

Built last summer. Added 2HDDs and 2GB of ram since then...

Noooo, get a 4850 instead. I just got mine and its absolutely perfect for what i need. Plays crysis on all very high, dx10 at 28-35fps at 1280x1024. PLays everything else fully maxed out.

I have:

3.2Ghz core 2 duo

currently 4gb of ram as i robbed my housemates, soon to be 8gb though

Vista ultimate 64

enermax liberty 500watt psu

gigabyte ds3r

HIS IceQ4 ATI 4850

creative X-FI gamer

and the most important bit, a Microsoft/Razer HABU for headshotting all the kiddies :lol:

decent speakers are the next must. Yamaha 5.1 have/Receiver with 100watts per channel and something like some KEF speakers to match it and a nice defined sub for good measure.

Spent around £300 on the main tower last year and just spent £130 on this graphics card last week.

I've had GAYTi in every one of my computers.

Fed up with them, and right now I'm reading good stuff about the nVidea cards, so with an SLi mobo, could be a worthwhile investment, I may even get two and a new processor...

But hey, that's spending money I don't have...

I've had GAYTi in every one of my computers.

Fed up with them, and right now I'm reading good stuff about the nVidea cards, so with an SLi mobo, could be a worthwhile investment, I may even get two and a new processor...

But hey, that's spending money I don't have...

But its old tech though, the new ati 4000 series and the new nvidia 200 series are newer, with more efficient tech and they run better for similar/better prices.

Majority of reviews show the ati cards to be better on benchmarks but lagging behind the nvidias in the actual games but it's all about the desired setup. Across a range of games run at 1280x1024 with AA etc maxed even a single GTX 260 will show a higher average fps than a 4850 CF setup by quite a way and costs less than the pair of 4850s, it also leaves you open to upgrades and thats a big part of my choice in buying.

Majority of reviews show the ati cards to be better on benchmarks but lagging behind the nvidias in the actual games but it's all about the desired setup. Across a range of games run at 1280x1024 with AA etc maxed even a single GTX 260 will show a higher average fps than a 4850 CF setup by quite a way and costs less than the pair of 4850s, it also leaves you open to upgrades and thats a big part of my choice in buying.

Really? Where'd you find that out then?

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=20

According to this, the 260 is around 10fps behind the 4850's :S

I guess it's mainly because it's looking at a smaller range of games for the multi gpu tests, on tomshardware and some other site that I now can't find again the total sum of fps though a bunch of games at 1280x1024 with AA etc maxed was higher than the 4850s. Granted they are extremely evenly matched and even slightly better going into the 1680x1050 and above mark.

Like I said before it all goes down to your personal preferances, on what other parts you run and what monitor you run. Just mentioned the 1280x1024 results as thats what I thought the majority of people use.

I guess it's mainly because it's looking at a smaller range of games for the multi gpu tests, on tomshardware and some other site that I now can't find again the total sum of fps though a bunch of games at 1280x1024 with AA etc maxed was higher than the 4850s. Granted they are extremely evenly matched and even slightly better going into the 1680x1050 and above mark.

Like I said before it all goes down to your personal preferances, on what other parts you run and what monitor you run. Just mentioned the 1280x1024 results as thats what I thought the majority of people use.

But seeing as screens are getting bigger these days and that not many people actually use 1280x1024 now the 4850's are the better in comparison. The gtx260 under-performed massively compared to what was expected of it. Hence the new revision being brought out in the next few weeks.

Price:performance wise ATI are really dominating everything at the moment. The only exception being using dual monitors on vista 64bit (incurrs random crashes and driver stalls).

I run dual monitors and Vista 64 bit. :lol:

I totally forgot about the 280s, so I may swing for one of them...

EDIT: Just thought about how much of a bottle neck that would be, with the rest of my system, can't afford a whole new rig...

Edited by Bender_Bending_Rodriguez

I run dual monitors and Vista 64 bit. :lol:

I totally forgot about the 280s, so I may swing for one of them...

EDIT: Just thought about how much of a bottle neck that would be, with the rest of my system, can't afford a whole new rig...

Ha ha, yeah in that case don't bother with the 4000 series ati cards.

I'm a strong believer in buying which card you think is nice at the time, then just letting it bottleneck as much as it wants until you get the system more balanced. Its not detrimental after all, but when you do get round to replacing other bits the difference is so much more ;)

Not always, Dell sometimes have some pretty sweet offers and stuff.

But for the most part with a little research you can build a rig which is much better suited for a fair bit less money.

Pretty much. If your looking for an average joe desktop for browsing the internet and reading your emails then you'll find it hard to beat the prices of a fair amount of budget pc's. But as soon as you start looking at something with a bit more grunt behind it then you'll be cheaper to build your own, As i said earlier mine cost about £3-400 and it plays crysis on full settings at a very smooth framerate.

my current pc, about 3 years old, a mesh is

amd 64 3800 @ 2.4ghz

6600gt gx card

300gb hdd

1gb ram

now, it plays CS source lovely, and other games, but i've started playing warhammer online, and it sucks to be honest.....I have it on fastest framerate, all low settings and stuff turned off, and whenever i get to busy areas it lags like crazy and often the game just cuts out. Now this is why i would like to build/buy a new pc to play new games nicely. I don't know whether to go for amd/intel....the main use would be games/music etc, as i can keep this pc elsewhere in the house on network.

Any help? I'd probably spend around £500 not inc monitor.

Nah, the dpi is horrible, everything looks huge meaning if your up close you may aswell just have a smaller screen.

You can easily pick up a 20" widescreen for £150, with a nice high res and decent specs, you probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference between them and a LCD TV, except the better viewing when you are up close.

Asked in RSQ but didn't get a reply. So...

Out of these 3 cards, which would you say is the best buy?

GTX 260

GTX 280

9800 GX2

The 280 is obviously the most expensive, but is it worth paying an extra 100 pounds over the 260 or 50 over the GX2? At the moment the only use I can think of is for gaming, but mainly I want one of these cards because of CUDA. At the moment the apps I use don't support this technology but when they do, it'll be worth having a card like this.