Earth Shattering News

Dr. Nick Riviera

New specials? Proper information? After all the rumours? Oh smeg yes.

reddwarf.co.uk has the facts. As announced by Robert Llewellyn for Grant Naylor Productions this week at the UKTV seasonal press launch, the project is a short series of brand new specials to celebrate the 21st birthday of Red Dwarf.

Doug Naylor will be masterminding the four half-hour instalments, and the regular cast will all be reprising their iconic roles. They are being made by GNP for UKTV's free-to-air channel, Dave - our new best friends!

Red Dwarf repeats on Dave - including an anniversary weekend run - have picked up remarkable numbers since the channel was reborn on Freeview, and it's becoming clear to all concerned that the show is picking a new, third generation audience. With the usual involvement from Red Dwarf partners BBC Worldwide, you can also expect international broadcasts to follow (and, we'd imagine, a top-quality DVD release in the fullness of time).

"It's very new news to me - I really only fully heard the details yesterday," Robert told comedian/host Michael McIntyre. "We're doing four new shows with the original cast. Two of them are going to be, like, proper episodes of Red Dwarf. One of them is so exciting I've been asked not to say anything about that because other people will steal the idea - and it is a great idea, quite challenging for us as performers. And the other one is a kind of behind-the-scenes-y... the truth. There's been so many rumours and gossip about Red Dwarf, about whether there's going to be a movie and whether we all get on, all those things... The downside for me, which is just dawning on me now, is I've got to do the 'rubber' thing again, which I haven't done for ten years."

For the record, and direct from the makers, the details of the four shows right now - while wholly subject to change - are:

Show One - The Making Of The Specials

A highly entertaining look at what goes on behind the scenes on a Red Dwarf production.

Show Two - Red Dwarf Special: Part One

The cast get back into character, and costume, a decade on...

Show Three - Red Dwarf Special: Part Two

The adventure continues...

Show Four - A Clip Show With a Serious Difference

The cast do it their way. Red Dwarf as you have never, ever seen it before!

The shows will broadcast sometime in 2009 and, if successful, could pave the way for further Red Dwarf TV projects. Thanks to movie and broadcaster wrangles, Grant Naylor haven't been in a position to produce new Red Dwarf since Series VIII went out to audiences of over eight million in 1999. This exciting development suggests a new and shiny future for everyone's favourite sci-fi comedy.

To be kept in the loop as we cover the new production, register your email address with reddwarf.co.uk in the box at the bottom of the page.

The Boys from the Dwarf are back!

I hope they don't try and carry on and finish the story where it left off as 2 episodes wouldn't do it justice.

Should be a good laugh though. Ill have to go watch all the old episodes again (must have watched them 10 times while i was at uni)!

Shame they never got around to making the film

Its probably for the best really. I think chances are the film wouldn't have done the program justice.

Oh, fantastic.

I see the Beeb are running out of ideas and so they have to open the filing cabinet to bring back whatever they can write another series for and then turn it into a crock of shit; of course they'll ruin it!

It was a good programme that simply ran its course; if they bring it back they'll kill it dead.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very, very sceptical about this. The last show involved most of the cast jumping to another dimension which was a negative of their own, whilst Rimmer was left on the decaying Red Dwarf to die, however managing to 'cheat' Death (a handy knee to the groin) and scarpered. How the hell they are going to carry on from that is going to be very interesting to see. Or, very shite.

Rich

I'm very, very sceptical about this. The last show involved most of the cast jumping to another dimension which was a negative of their own, whilst Rimmer was left on the decaying Red Dwarf to die, however managing to 'cheat' Death (a handy knee to the groin) and scarpered. How the hell they are going to carry on from that is going to be very interesting to see. Or, very shite.

Rich

I really didn't like the last (2?) series' when the wrong Kochanski came back and they used annoying computer effects. The real series 1-6 was where it was at. Not fussed about the new programs but am tempted by that DVD set...