Rear Disc Brake.

Sam F

Basically.. a friend has a GU ST which im pretty interested in but the problem is i sidehop disc side.. i heard it isn't a problem as if you slip it normally catches the pedals/crank/top half of the chainstay first.

Is this true?

Or will i just constantly rape rotors?

When I ran a disk back in the day I never caught it at all.

The only way I can think you'd catch it is sidehopping onto a rail/particularly thin object that would force you to be exactly parrallel with it.

I don't like rails so i won't be playing on them. :)

On the several frames I've had with rear discs, I cant say I've ever caught it on a sidehop. If you did, it wouldn't be like you landing dead stright on top of it, it would be at an angle, so you are only going to catch it slightly, and they are pretty strong, so you can easily straighten it out if it ever did happen.

The only way I could see you doing more damage is riding of rocks and stuff, where your wheel would slip between them, but again you would have to land pretty straight on the rotor. I think you'll be pretty safe

I have a rear disk hub, so I put a rotor on it to see if i would hit it. I completely destroyed the rotor in about 2 hours. Was bent way over to one side and you could easily see a massive bend in it with just the wheel spinning without anything beside it to compare it to. Personally I would never run double disk for street riding, It might be ok for natural though.

Edited by Echo-Scott

I have a rear disk hub, so I put a rotor on it to see if i would hit it. I completely destroyed the rotor in about 2 hours.

So you put the rotor on with the sole intention of trying to hit it? Of course you'll be able to damage it if you're deliberately trying to see if you can hit it. I've run dual discs for a total of about... 4 years probably and have only caught the rotor about 3 times, none of which caused any lasting damage to them. And I sidehop to the left. And I ride comps. So yeah, it's isn't a problem in the slightest.

I've never even come close, I fell off once and it landed on the rotor on a rock, but they bend back so easily it doesn't matter.

Same here

i imagine its got summat to do with the whole tucking business, leaning the bike over into the landing?? you dont make it the bike slides onto the rotor? i dunno. never had a problem when i ran a rear disc.

I don't tuck and I've never hit mine, I can only static to back though.

Had quite a bit of experience with DD on a mod. 203mm - never hit it, 180mm - rode that on natural, got really battered and bent but from generally hitting it against pointy rocks.

I wouldn't worry about sidehops onto walls, it's irregular obstacles that can be a problem.

Anyway, it's really hard to hit a rear rotor when riding street. Don't worry about it.

So you put the rotor on with the sole intention of trying to hit it? Of course you'll be able to damage it if you're deliberately trying to see if you can hit it. I've run dual discs for a total of about... 4 years probably and have only caught the rotor about 3 times, none of which caused any lasting damage to them. And I sidehop to the left. And I ride comps. So yeah, it's isn't a problem in the slightest.

No, I put the rotor on so I could find out if I could run a double disk set-up without destroying my rotor. I found out that I kept hitting the rotor with my technique. So I have come to the conclusion that it is not a good idea for me to ride street with a double disk set-up.

I guess it comes down to how much you let your bike smash into stuff. I (nearly) always know if I'm not going to make something, so instead of slamming my chainstay/dropout into the wall/rock/whatever, I put my foot down... thus not twatting the rotor.

Otherwise known as chickening out? :D

I know the feeling, do it most of the time meself :$

I never once hit my rear rotor when I was running DD (mind you that wasnt for all that long) and I think Ive landed on the front rotor once in the last 4 years or so. I guess if youre on mod then the rotor is alittle more likely to hit the wall because its relatively bigger compared to the rim and therefore closer to the tyre/object the tyre just slipped off.

I prefer the bike preservation route myself, ok I might not progress very quickly but I like my bike with pristine chainstays :D

Edited by forteh

Yeah, it's called bicycular perservation and I seem to be a master! My Monty's been used in comps for the past 2 years and still doesn't have any big dents or major marks to any part of the frame or components because I look after my bike. A lot of people don't seem to work like that though...

I've been running twin disc on my czar mod for almos one year now. I managed to hit my rotor three times, but never managed to destroy it. It was always a two minutes job to fix it, bent it back a little. Im not even a good rider. I cant really imagine how can one destroy a rotor in one day, or hit it so much that it bents that much. The only thing what you have to do when doing sidehops, that you stand at an angle to the wall, so when you mess up a jump the chain stays will hit the wall and not the rotor. But what am i saying, this is the correct technique or at least thats how the pros doing it.

Haha, I suppose so, but if you know you aren't gonna make something, it doesn't make sense to me to just smash into it anyway and break your bike.

Yeah, it's called bicycular perservation and I seem to be a master! My Monty's been used in comps for the past 2 years and still doesn't have any big dents or major marks to any part of the frame or components because I look after my bike. A lot of people don't seem to work like that though...

My thoughts aswell, I dont see the point on having what is effectively a very expensive single speed rigid bike and then twatting it as much as possible. I thnk I have 3 very minor brick scrapes on the bottom of my downtube where Ive slipped off walls but thats it.

How these people destroy rotors from riding dual disc.... You're probably more likely to hit the front rotor than the back. I've hit mine (after running it for a year) about...3 times? and that was because I went perfectly horizontal and compleltly failed lol. After doing so, it worked fine still.

Rotors that people are destroying must be made of cheese to be honest... They can withstand a fair beating even the "flexy" 203mm / 9" rotors