Picture Up -trying To Single Speed

John Shrewsbury

No it isn't :P. A 1/8" chain and 3/32" of the same make (i.e. a KMC Kool) uses the same plates and therefore will stretch in exactly the same way as each other. The only difference is the width of the pins and rollers, both of which simply add weight with no gain or loss in strength for the 1/8" version (assuming your drivetrain can accept it, of course).

But dont forget that a 3/32" chain is typically used on derailleur systems and are required to be more flexible in order to shift smoothly so the inherant looseness in the pins will cause a weak point. If you have a rigidly rivetted 3/32 chain (ie: a narrow bmx chain) then in theory the chain is as strong as an 1/8". Cant remember what size chain is on my bike but its only a skinny one, lasted the past 3 years without any problems, I do look after it though :)

But dont forget that a 3/32" chain is typically used on derailleur systems and are required to be more flexible in order to shift smoothly so the inherant looseness in the pins will cause a weak point. If you have a rigidly rivetted 3/32 chain (ie: a narrow bmx chain) then in theory the chain is as strong as an 1/8". Cant remember what size chain is on my bike but its only a skinny one, lasted the past 3 years without any problems, I do look after it though :)

Yeah, I'm just thinking KMC Kool's as it's pretty much the only chain I use. Always use 3/32" these days because there's simply no point in me running the 1/8".

3 years?!! You're stupid brave aren't you?! I replace mine every 6 months or so just for peace of mind. Snapped a couple of chains 'back in the day' and now, for £6 a pop, it's not worth the risk to be honest.

Finally got it working with an 18t front + 15t rear. 1/2 link gusset slink chain. Doesnt feel too slack and runs ok.

I mostly wanted to see if it wud work and seems fine atm. If it starts to get even more slack then ill say to all u guys u were right.

Thanks for your help from the passt comments. (Y)

I've had that chain and run it the same way you've got :P , worked fine for couple of months but did snap like 4 times lol.

It was a 1/2 link gusset slink chain found it streched loads. Did run it on 18t-16, think your need a thicker strong chain as your riding is sick :)

bigger etc.. now runing a http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11288 think that i would run fine for what your trying to do dude,

its a soild chain and soo fat think it will snap your cogs before it snaps etc..

Edited by thewoomaster

3 years?!! You're stupid brave aren't you?! I replace mine every 6 months or so just for peace of mind. Snapped a couple of chains 'back in the day' and now, for £6 a pop, it's not worth the risk to be honest.

To be fair, for 18 months of which the bike was largely stuck in a cupboard with a cracked frame, I also dont kick all that hard - hence the reason I cant gap more than 7 foot :D

I have picked up a replacement chain for it but not been arsed to fit yet :)