Picture Up -trying To Single Speed

John Shrewsbury

Finally got it working with an 18t front + 15t rear. 1/2 link gusset slink chain. Doesnt feel too slack and runs ok.

I mostly wanted to see if it wud work and seems fine atm. If it starts to get even more slack then ill say to all u guys u were right.

Thanks for your help from the passt comments. (Y)

post-2074-1221938312_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Shrewsbury

Right got new trialtech cranks and got an 18t on front and going to run a 15t on rear.

Not wanting to use a deralier or tensioner, Wats the best chain? to make it all work gd.

You'll probably find the 15T far too spinny for streety type riding Mr Shrewsbury. I'm running 18/13 which is a bit stiff and have a 14T which is about perfect. Do you want to run without any kind of tensioner? That is you need info on half link chains?

<br />You'll probably find the 15T far too spinny for streety type riding Mr Shrewsbury. I'm running 18/13 which is a bit stiff and have a 14T which is about perfect. Do you want to run without any kind of tensioner? That is you need info on half link chains?<br />

Im using 18t on front, daves sending me a ( 14t and 15t) to try and get it single speed with a halflink chain.

Just want to know if anyone knows it wud work or tryed it on that bike.

Ive taken off my deralier and dont want a tensioner.

As soon as the chain stretches it'll feel wank!

Why not get a 74Kingz? that'll be pretty out of the way :) and light...

Also 18:15 is a stock gearing, it'll feel far too light on a 24" - 18:13/14 should be nice!

want the gearing like my 26inch 18t+15t feel the same. 74kings and other tensioners are wank. want it like a bmx setup.

No idea. Dave should be able to tell you! Although I haven't heard many good things about any half link chains... But anyway- 18/15 will be too spinny. Look at the gearinches:

Stock: 18/15 gives 31.2 gearinches (or whatever the hell it's called)

24": 18/15 gives 28.8. Spinny. 18/14 will give you 30.86 which is about right and 18/13 gives 33.23 which is stiff but if you want a more BMXey/streety build is a good bet. I can still sidehop my bike nicely and backwheel high but can also get up a bit of speed when needed.

The Inspired has 385mm stays, right?

I've been running 18:15 on 385mm stays and it required a half link to get tension reasonable, and then still needed a tensioner to keep it tight

Another mm or so shorter stays and it'd be doable, but I think you'll be a little stuck to do it without any form of tensioner I'm afraid :(

I'm another one thinking it'll be far too spinny though, chuck a 14t on there and tension may be better too

I know i know.

Na but if i run 18t 15t, wud i need a half link or a normal chain? just trying to work it out.

I was looking down your post there and noticed that you didnt have a sponser to give you a reduced price chain, so just buy both of them and try it out. But I advise against it, they will stretch quick and youll be even shiter! get a rolhoff. they are the best things in the world!! christ, who you trying to be?? Akrigg or sumit?? :P

I was looking down your post there and noticed that you didnt have a sponser to give you a reduced price chain, so just buy both of them and try it out. But I advise against it, they will stretch quick and youll be even shiter! get a rolhoff. they are the best things in the world!! christ, who you trying to be?? Akrigg or sumit?? :P

Just want rid of any kinder of tensioner really, Ive tryed it on my purple 24, which has (13t rear and 22t front) with a 1/2link chain and feels great.

just want sumthing the same. But i want 18t 15t as its feels gd and ive always liked a light gear.

Ill have a go anyway, if it dont work ill have to put deralier bk on.

Ghost chaintring?

Since you're running 18:15, you would need a 16T or 17T cog (depending on how sag your chain is), and you wedge the cog in between the chain. Basically that cog just floats in between the chain when you pedal.

2868662153_93ed6e9be5_o.jpg

I've used it once on my street bike, and it didn't drop out. Some of my friends tried it but it didn't work out well for them.

I've also seen a bmx rider using this ghost chainring! And the thing was that he has horizontal dropouts and a full half-link chain! It was featured on the Decline magazine. Shorter chainstay maybe...

(I would be running 18:15 on my 24'' too)

Edited by spaceman

Ghost chaintring?

Since you're running 18:15, you would need a 16T or 17T cog (depending on how sag your chain is), and you wedge the cog in between the chain. Basically that cog just floats in between the chain when you pedal.

2868662153_93ed6e9be5_o.jpg

I've used it once on my street bike, and it didn't drop out. Some of my friends tried it but it didn't work out well for them.

I've also seen a bmx rider using this ghost chainring! And the thing was that he has horizontal dropouts and a full half-link chain! It was featured on the Decline magazine. Shorter chainstay maybe...

(I would be running 18:15 on my 24'' too)

Some thing ive always looked at and thought...how the hell would that work properly!! You must just get lucky with chain tension.

My old zoo boa used to run perfect tension on almost 385 chainstays, had to file the front edge of the drop out by a mm and it dropped right in, no tensioner or anything :)

Only problem was that the gearing was 20/16 which is probably why I couldnt gap very well on it :$

Mind you that might be pretty sensible gearing for a 24" :)

gallery_6335_932_143223.jpg