Interesting Dilemma

Ash-Kennard

http://www.find-ip-address.org/

? I used to have this code on my myspace that when someone viewed my profile it would give me their IP. I was only trying to find out who was viewing my profile because it got hacked and i was like what good is a IP address to me then i found this finder thing? i mean just by putting in the IP it showed where the person lived :S or is it wrong? I mean when i put my IP in it, it comes up with my road :S thats kinda worrying.

Edited by ..Ben-Henderson..

If that was the case, the IP from the post you just made places you as just north of Leeds...

Mmmm but when i put it in on my computer it comes up with my road :S god im confused. Its either a load of twaddle or its just knows where i live lol

Edited by ..Ben-Henderson..

Bt Lines and BT Broadband run on 3rd party lines is inaccurate, something to do with it routing throught some hub (i duno someone told me once) but most other carriers are fairly close. Virgins fibreoptic broadband has your IP in the right place, apparently....

The only reliable way of tracking anybody on your own is if they have a static address.

Your ISP will have records on who was issued what address at the time in question; however, this is covered by the Data Protection Act and would require a court order to obtain this information (and only if they found the cause to be justified).

I imagine any 'IP trackers' would just find the dhcp server of the ISP?

Did the conversation go along these lines?

MUM! DAD! WE NEED TO MOVE HOUSE QUICK!!

Errm... okay son, calm down... why?

I WAS A CUNT TO LOADS OF PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET THEN THEY FOUND MY ADDRESS AND ARE GOING TO COME AND BEAT ME UP!!

Well in that case, let's get packing!!

I imagine any 'IP trackers' would just find the dhcp server of the ISP?

;)

It gets the location of the exchange usually, so for me, it actually gets my home town. Some however get the main exchange, so it comes back as Horsham, which is 30-40 miles away.

Get a house/road address is not possible. May get lucky and get within 10 miles, but that's a vast area, don't worry about it. :)

Actually, just a thought but its all bollocks.

The majority of home users are on dynamic addresses so it changes with each connection - you don't own or have any rights over a dynamic address and so is actually owned and registered to the ISP. So all IP tracking will do is trace back to the distributor (dhcp server) or the Network Operations Centre.

But even with a static IP it will usually give details of the ISP as they rarely change the address records when you buy them.