Front Wheel Build

jordan282

hi, can anyone help me, i want to build up my front wheel and i can find all the instructions on the internet and i can do hat fine, but on my hub (a hope hub), one side is bigger than the other becuase it is a front disc hub. so how do i go about that, do i have to have shorter spokes on one side or something?

Thanks

Google for a program called spocalc.xls to calculate your spoke lengths. If the rim/hub aren't in the list already in the file you can measure them and add them to the list. The hub is easy enough to measure with a ruler/calipers, the effective rim diameter can be measured by getting two spokes, which you cut to a known length and screwing spoke nipples to them with the end of the spoke flush with the back of the spoke nipple. Put the spokes through spoke holes directly opposite each other in the rim (The hole to one side of the valve hole will be directly opposite the hole to the opposite side of the rim join) and measure how far apart the spokes are in the middle of the rim, adding this to the combined length of the spokes to get the ERD - if it's an old rim that may not be perfectly round take a few measurements and average them.

When you're calculating the spoke length don't forget to specify how many crosses the spokes make for the build you have in mind - the usual default is 3, but a lot of trials wheels are built 4X.

I'm a fan of 3X lacing on both sides as unless you have a 36 hole hub 4X lacing causes the spokes to lock in the heads of the spokes beside them, making replacing spokes a pain compared to with 3X as you have to loosen the adjacent spokes to the broken one the fit the new one. In terms of the wheels load carrying ability there shouldn't be much difference (Hence 3X being used more or less everywhere else with 32 hole hubs).

Snowflake pattern wheels are of course where it's really at :)...

2035017512_778871d0b7.jpg

I'm a fan of 3X lacing on both sides as unless you have a 36 hole hub 4X lacing causes the spokes to lock in the heads of the spokes beside them, making replacing spokes a pain compared to with 3X as you have to loosen the adjacent spokes to the broken one the fit the new one. In terms of the wheels load carrying ability there shouldn't be much difference (Hence 3X being used more or less everywhere else with 32 hole hubs).

Snowflake pattern wheels are of course where it's really at :)...

2035017512_778871d0b7.jpg

How the f**k do you do that?

I mean, I'd be afraid of breaking something if I tried it. I also can't imagine what the strength is like, lol.

How the f**k do you do that?

I mean, I'd be afraid of breaking something if I tried it. I also can't imagine what the strength is like, lol.

To make these, pairs of spokes are twisted around each other where they'd usually just cross. That wheel looks like 2 full twists at each crossing...

You really don't want to try a wheel with snowflake lacing and a disk brake, it's definitely not as stable as normal 2, 3 or 4X. This was only done back in the day before disks were anything more than custom items (Which the bike journalists at the time would always say was overkill compared to a good set of cantis) :P...