Rear Disc Mount

J Trials 31

Alright, I don't want to spend a boat load buying a new frame to go rear disc. So what material would be the best and can somebody give me the dimensions and whatever else I need. Not really familiar with this stuff, so somebody else will be doing it and I need to tell them and show them all I can. If it helps the mount is for my Adamant A3 long.

Thanks

Jordan

The adamant frame is ALU, so whatever the case, they need to be able to weld with alu.

It's also wize not to change metal types when joining them together, I think.

You want a piece of aluminium. You can measure the disc mounts from another frame with them to get an idea of the design.

Thanks, yeah I don't have another frame around with disc mounts. Otherwise, I would just use that frame.

when I put, look at another frame, I meant any frame with disc mounts, even an XC frame. It's all made to a standard, so it will all be the same dimansions.

Muel's looks pretty complicated. Don't think I have all the necessary stuff and time to do that. It would help if I could have measurements and such from somebody with a disc frame. Preferably a Koxx or Monty, but whatever will do. I have a machine shop just down the road. They have done a little work for me before with my bike. Don't know if they will be able to do this, but I'll check. Also, what's the best welding method to use on bikes. TIG is my guess, just wanted to know.

The adapter is on my desk now, still works, just I sold the frame it fits haha.

Maybe it will work in my frame? Don't know, but might be worth a try.

It was really, really simple to make. The disc caliper bolt holes are 51mm apart, that's all you need to know for an adapter.

If you weld it, it will need heat treating and then re-finishing, so it will get expensive.

If it's any use to you my Megamo should arrive tuesday/Wednesday, i could take some Photos, measurments etc and get back to you ?

It is like 8 years old though so things may have changed drastiaclly since then :P

Sure, yeah! Megamo frames were ahead of their time. Might be the same anyway. Hey, Muel, why does it have to be heat treated and refinished? Kind of a noob at this and most of this sounds like gibberish to me because I kind of feel lost.

I never had to find out any of the other measurements when I made mine, I just used the wheel and the disc and made it all up to fit them.

With that drawing the engineering place you talked about should be able to machine a mount and weld it on for you, I should think.

Is that what I need? Not too sure. Could I just take a print of that to a machine shop and they'd know what to do?

I never had to find out any of the other measurements when I made mine, I just used the wheel and the disc and made it all up to fit them.

With that drawing the engineering place you talked about should be able to machine a mount and weld it on for you, I should think.

See I don't have a disc wheel yet. So will they need that?

I'm not totally clued up either :P

I think it has to be heat treated as the welding won't be the same tolerence as the frame so heating it up reallly hot and then cooling will make it the same ? Just a guess, probably a bad one :P

Add me to Msn if you like, Addies on my profile i think (Y):)

I would, but I don't have MSN. How do you get it? Do you have to pay for it?

See I don't have a disc wheel yet. So will they need that?

I don't think they'd need it, but it would certainly help. That diagram is great, but with horizontal dropouts you don't know where the wheel will lie. You could always request slotted caliper mounts though like on a Ciguena.

I'd be inclined to have all the bits ready to build it up, then they will be able to mount it all up and check it.