Magura Lever.

G-baby158

I think i havn't writen it right, i want a hs33 04 lever to go onto a louise FR piston, would it work ?

No. An HS33 lever has a 14mm piston. A Louise lever uses something like a 12mm piston at the lever. Therefore if you were to use an HS33 lever on a Louise caliper you'd end up with a really spongy, crap feeling brake.

Since the HS33 lever has no reservoir, as the disk heats the fluid and it expands the disk will tend to lock on unless you keep winding the TPA out. Then once the fluid cools you'll have to wind it back in before the brake will bite. I'm pretty sure the Louise uses slightly different brake line as it's designed to run higher fluid pressures. The Julie has a similar lever piston diameter and brake line to the HS33, but it will still have the same issues with pump up as the brake heats...

Since the HS33 lever has no reservoir, as the disk heats the fluid and it expands the disk will tend to lock on unless you keep winding the TPA out. Then once the fluid cools you'll have to wind it back in before the brake will bite. I'm pretty sure the Louise uses slightly different brake line as it's designed to run higher fluid pressures. The Julie has a similar lever piston diameter and brake line to the HS33, but it will still have the same issues with pump up as the brake heats...

I want to change it because i keep bleeding it and then when i pull the lever i hear air from the lever and the it loses all of its power so i dont know what is rong with it and dont know how to get the blade out.

Right me and my dad was having alook at the lever trying to see where the air was coming from and when i pulled the lever in my dad saw a air bubble coming from the bottom of the pistion, does anyone know how i can get the lever out and know if its bad that theres air coming from under it ?

Right me and my dad was having alook at the lever trying to see where the air was coming from and when i pulled the lever in my dad saw a air bubble coming from the bottom of the pistion, does anyone know how i can get the lever out and know if its bad that theres air coming from under it ?

Was the bubble coming from the bottom of the reservoir up through the oil or coming through a hole in the casing of the lever itself? If it's coming through the oil the there's still air trapped in the system, which means there's either a leak somewhere for the air to get back into the brake or the bleed isn't carrying the air through and clearing it out of the system. Hopefully all you're looking at is a bubble trapped in the lever somewhere.

Keeping the lid off the reservoir pull the lever and let it go suddenly a few times - this seems to drive bubbles through the system if they're near the feed hole to the reservoir in the first place. Hopefully after doing this a few times the bubbles will stop appearing and the brake will work properly, leaving you to top the reservoir up right to the top and roll the diaphragm into the oil to eliminate air bubbles before putting the cap on...

All you theoretical boys are logical and sensable but i've actually done it and it worked fine. HS33 Lever on a front Magura louise FR I think it was.

This is true you CAN do it as a friend of mine has done it even managed to keep the tpa working was a laugh acctully worked really well if not better as he could choose his stoping point like on a maggie. It dose work i just personaly wouldn't try unless i was desprate.....

This is true you CAN do it as a friend of mine has done it even managed to keep the tpa working was a laugh acctully worked really well if not better as he could choose his stoping point like on a maggie. It dose work i just personaly wouldn't try unless i was desprate.....

I've done it as well. A 170mm Louise caliper (with a homemade adaptor), a 203 Hayes disc and an 04 HS33 lever with a water bleed and it was on a jump bike. I found any overheating problems could be compensated for by the TPA although these were few and far between anyway.

Edited by Jamie_Neal

I don't see why using a closed lever on an open system should be a problem. My old Hope closed brake was great. If there were issues with fluid expansion, you'd adjust with the TPA.

Yes, I've seen this caliper/lever combination and it worked fine. In fact, the rider had more success with the proper lever supplied with the brake.