Heres An Idea, Rather Cool I Must Add

PaRtZ

Imagine a frame. A frame so well designed ... that it could be built up, mod OR stock :)

I mean, fork angles can be compensated for surely, a medium between a mod and a stock, wheelbase would be the same etc etc. Think about it, you buy the frame and build it up as a stock, but then you get bored and want to ride mod, so you switch over to your mod components and save money on not buying a new frame.

Thoughts? Don't just flame, think about what you're saying

Nice idea, how about removable dropouts that you can change, so the 4 bolt mounts can be used for both? That way the chainstays would be legnthened and shortened according to whether it's mod or stock. Mind you, on a stock, the tyre tends to sit closer to the BB than on a mod doesn't it?

Didnt a while back, someone build up an Adamant stock frame as a mod, as they couldn't afford a new frame?

Technically speaking, it would be possible, but it would be quite a short wheelbase stock or a long wheelbase mod. You could incorporate an adjustable head angle like the Scott frames. Be quite an interesting idea I think.

It does, but you could always allow the chainstay length for a stock wheel, and then incooperate your removable idea :)

^^ Yeah I think Inur did that...cant remember how he got on

Edited by PaRtZ

What about spacing? It would probably have to be a proper "modstock". :giggle:

And also, if you changed the forks, the geo of the frame would be altered quite a lot. Instead of lowering the bb when it's in stock mode, it would raise it, giving you a +40ish mod and a +60ish stock. I'm guessing.

Keep the same forks?

Like on the tritons (i think) you could have it so you could have longer or shorter chainstays, going from whatever the shortest mod stays are to about 385? (edit: just saw that nbr alrerady said it :P )

Edited by Skoze

You could just incorporate sliding dropouts like the Identitis come with, and have 4 bolt mounts top and bottom, for 20" and 26" sizes

You've cracked it!

That would be the best way to do it.

It would have to be a modstock though like muel says

also, mod forks are pretty long, they're a lot bigger than just to fit the wheel, so perhaps a 26" wheel would fit in them anyway. Alternatively, use some very low 26" forks.

Replaceable dropouts would potentially allow you to vary the BB height as well as chainstay length. 26" trials bikes have chainstays that are about as short as they can be without having to cut into the BB shell, while mods usually have slightly shorter than this. An arrangement with vertical dropouts aligned to a disk mount, connected to the frame with a sliding link of some description (There are lots of singlespeed XC frames out there with features like this) would allow for chain tensioning without disk alignment issues. The brake mounts on the seat stays would need some serious thinking of they're to handle 26/24/20" wheels though - the danger is it would end up a bit heavy compared to a single purpose frame. Using an eccentric BB to adjust BB height and chain tension (Not quite independently) would be pretty cool too...