Personal Statements

Ross Gardner

Right. I'm just about to start writing my Personal Statement for a few University's to apply for 2009. Teacher's haven't helped at all and it needs to be handed in for the 18th July <_< What should I include? and where should i start?

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated :)

P.S. I'm applying for a Marketing BA Degree.

Edited by Ross Gardner

First of all, make sure your spelling and grammar is impecable. Any mistakes and you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

Have a brainstorm and think of everything you've done that's worth mentioning. Then choose the best ones, and make them sound really important (this is easy for trials comps because no one knows what they are).

EDIT: Irony of misspelling 'impeccable' noted :D

Mention personal development that is very particular or unique to you. Try and relate that in some way to your interest in or understanding of the subject you are applying for. Make the statement VERY subjective in the sense you have put forward your own reasoning, analysis or interest. You have to show that you can relate yourself, your thinking and experience to the content of your desired degree.

That's essentially (beyond what Tomm says) what I would emphasise in a personal statement - it worked for me.

could always talk about where youve travelled, holidays and what you enjoy about them - if its interesting ofcourse (i was lucky enough to write about egyptian pyramids, etc)

and also what your motivated in, ideally you could just search google and therell be hundreds of sites with pointers, like what you should and shouldnt include

Owww......i don't think i wrote one in the end LOL!

BUT - try using the internet to get some sample statements. Also i'd be more than willing to cast my eye over it when you're done (Y)!

Best of luck bro!

Neil

P.S. Somebody must have one they could send him?

P.S. Somebody must have one they could send him?

But unless he plans on stealing our life experiences and using them for himself it's going to be of no use. In terms of structure and content I think if you are going to Uni you should be able to work that one out for yourself.

We've just done this in PSD last week, mention skills that you ahve and how you sue them like determination to get something done, perfecting a trials move organization, lie about how you organized a a meeting of some sort not sure what skills youd need for that degree think about what you need and even if you dont particularly have them lie about having them =] to sum up lie lie and lie some more

But unless he plans on stealing our life experiences and using them for himself it's going to be of no use. In terms of structure and content I think if you are going to Uni you should be able to work that one out for yourself.

Actually, universities are typically looking for a fairly similar form for which an individual should place a personal content. Providing you can differentiate between the two, looking at other peoples statements (those that were successful) can be of help.

Edited by rowly

Actually, universities are typically looking for a fairly similar form for which an individual should place a personal content. Providing you can differentiate between the two, looking at other peoples statements (those that were successful) can be of help.

Indeed Rowly!

I know it helped me to look over a few friend's CVs when writing mine. I found it also helps you to remember your past experiences.

Neil