Correct And Incorrect Way Of Fitting A Kmc Chain

Rusevelt

Something i never really took notice of until i looked at the design of the chain closely. i noticed the chain sits slightly closer to the sprocket (left pic) than the fitting the other way (right pic), but it still rides the same. reason im posting this is because i snapped my old kmc chain in three places yesterday practicing pedal kicks and pedal hops up a very steep hill and found a number of links (the side chain plate) warped. i just figured it was because the chain worn due to normal riding stress and less than perfect chain aligment with single speed modstock rigs, until i fitted a new chain today and was looking at the design. anyone else had the same problem?

Edited by Rusevelt

In practise, they still suck cock.

How come? I swear by Kool's on all my bikes and have never snapped one (though I do change them every 6 months or so) or had any problems at all with them. Seem cheap and reliable to me but then it has to be said that I tend not to grind my trials bikes that much...

Snapped every one I've ever owned, and one Mat Hudson owned too (Snapped gapping sideways over a stair-set. Nice.). Just not into them. They stretch loads, and like I said, I managed to snap a few of them.

100% don't run them on my BMX either, 510HX ftw.

510HX ftw.

Hm... So if I get one and it snaps I can blame you? Heh heh... Also been fine with kool chains all along, but friends keep snapping them at the moment so I'm getting rather worried... Are they actually better than kools? I trust your experienced opinion...

The Z510 and 610 actually have a lower breaking load (1200kg) than a Kool (1300kg)... I've used both and not snapped either with an 18T up front (yet).. was annihilating Kools with a 16T front though, very much doubt a 510/610 would last on that size ring either.

Ive found in the left pic, the rolling pin link (if its called that) sits closer within the groove of the spocket teeth that on the right pic, so in theory the load stress should be less. but again i haven't noticed much in performance. my old kmc kool chain was second hand when i bought it from hugh barker's 07 A1, so i dont know how long hugh was running that chain before i owned it.

Edited by Rusevelt

The Z510 and 610 actually have a lower breaking load (1200kg) than a Kool (1300kg)... I've used both and not snapped either with an 18T up front (yet).. was annihilating Kools with a 16T front though, very much doubt a 510/610 would last on that size ring either.

Is that breaking load the same as the HX version? They definitely stretch less than Kools, so I guess that probably comes into it to an extent, in that if you're stretching a metal plate, it's going to be weaker. But yeah, I've only run them on my BMX with 23:9 and 25:9, and they seem to work out pretty good. Put a Kool on and it seemed to keep on getting longer and longer.

Oh, I also ran the 710SL too. Don't.

Is that breaking load the same as the HX version? They definitely stretch less than Kools, so I guess that probably comes into it to an extent, in that if you're stretching a metal plate, it's going to be weaker. But yeah, I've only run them on my BMX with 23:9 and 25:9, and they seem to work out pretty good. Put a Kool on and it seemed to keep on getting longer and longer.

Oh, I also ran the 710SL too. Don't.

Yeah, HX. They are 'Stretch Proof' though as you mentioned (I have found they do stretch a little less actually)... could be a factor in long-term strength as you said too!

710SL = :lol:

A bunch of the park fags down in Southampton swore by them, and I needed a new chain, so I thought "Meh, I'll give it a crack."

About 3-4 weeks later, busy 4-way junction in Hackney, sliiightly running a red light, boom...

EDIT: Masterlinks on the 510HX seem pretty bomb-proof too, though they may be the same as the Kool ones? Either way, mine have always been fine. Only one I've seen die was my brother's but that's 'cos he was doing a pegless grind and somehow managed to hit the spring-clip on it, despite it being on the inside face of his chain? Weirdest shit I ever did saw.

I'm running a 510 and it's fine, mate of mine is running one and it's fine, another mate of mine is running one on a 16t and it snaps all the f**king time. I've told him it's the bash but he's too skint to replace it at the moment.

EDIT: Masterlinks on the 510HX seem pretty bomb-proof too, though they may be the same as the Kool ones? Either way, mine have always been fine.

I've never had any problems with mine, then again I'm not a big harsh rider, but yeah, they seem pretty "dece".

always heard all this good stuff about the 510's on bmx forums but never used one.

i've used k810 with a 16t sprocket for years now. when i rode 4-5 times a week i changed chains yearly, maybe every 10 months or something.

i can see why kool chains are shit for bmx with the massive side plates, but for trials they're ok. might go test a 510 if i feel like saving a few grammes.