Student Bank Accounts

Dan Clark

I'm moving up north to university in September, and instead of researching every bank, I figured I'd ask a bunch of strangers I've never met before on the internet instead.

I'm looking to setup a student bank account for university, who has the best deal going? I know someone, possibly Tomm, has mentioned before about someone who not only had a £1500 overdraft, but also gave you a year to pay it back after you have finished uni, this would be superb.

Also, any useful free things they thrown in would be very nice too. What are everyones experiences with their banks?

I know there's been topics before, but banks change their offers all the time, so I thought it might be a bit out of date.

Thanks a lot.

I'm with Natwest, they gave me a 3 year student railcard when I joined, which is useful if you ue trains alot. It alo has the usual overdraft too. Not your what the max of the overdraft is, but I think about £1300 or so. Fairly low interest though, so i only have a few hundred in there, the rest is in a higher interest child account.

Natwest have the grey cards with the funky black cuty-like print on them, don't they?

I think so. If that's the case, their accounts are very popular with students. My brother has one, and I'm quite sure a good few student customers at sainsbury's have them too.

Natwest are the best by far..as I'm finding out (currently with HSBC)

They have the biggest overdrafts: (interest free of course)

£1250 in Year 1, £1500 in Year 2, £1600 in Year 3, £1850 in Year 4, £2000 in Year 5

HSBC goes £1000, £1250, £1500 then stops.

But the biggest ballache is that HSBC charge you interest on your overdraft as SOON as you graduate (not exactly interest but a "monthly subscription" of about £12) :(

This is why I'm moving over to Natwest now I've graduated because they offer an interest free graduate overdraft of £2000 in Year 1, £1000 in Year 2 and £500 in Year 3 after you've graduated.

So yeah, go for Natwest - the lowdown is here

Don't ever use HSBC. I had an HSBC student account when I was at uni, appaling service. Although on the plus side 2 years on after graduating they still haven't redueced my interest free overdraft....

RBS have by far the best graudate account, i'd imagine their student accounts are pretty good too.

A point to bear in mind is that the bigger the overdraft you get the more you're going to have to payback once you graduate!

My HSBC student account was awesome, got the 3 year railcard free (which saved loads as I only used trains) and never had any problems with the overdraft limit - lived within my means :)

Once I graduated they switched it over to a graduate account which retained the intrest free overdraft for about 3 years, its since reverted to a normal bank account but I never need to use the overdraft now :D

Its 9 years now since I got my student account though so its all probably different now.

Some useful tips to remember about student bank accounts are that the offers like free rail cards expire fairly early so don't miss out 'cos they're worth taking advantage of, also you need to have your wage (if you have one) as well as your student loan going in to that account.

I had it going in to another and got bollocked haha.