Bit Of Advice Needed ((new Lol))

trial-boy

Hi there i am new to this forum and was wondering if i could have some advice:

i have a shogun gimp at the moment and wanted to modify and lighten it by removing the seat

IMGP1713.jpg

is this easily do-able ond is there any other little things i can do to help make this bike better

many thanks

undo the clamp on the seat post, pull seat out, get a saw, cut the top of the seat post off till its level with your frame, put abit of black tape over the hole so water cant get in (Y)

you wont be able to put the seat back on properly, but you could wedge it in the hole so it sits lower if you wanted to i guess. but why would you want a seat on it anyway haha

No reason why not, best to cut the seat tube down flush with the top of top tube though. Cover it with a monty seat pad, a large thick sticker or some gaffer tape :)

Cut it off roughly with a hacksaw then carefully file/grind the remaining material and weld do untill its a flush joint, shouldnt afffect the integrity of the frame a great deal.

edit: too slow :(

Edited by forteh

cut the top of the seat post off till its level with your frame

best to cut the seat tube down flush with the top of top tube though...carefully file/grind the remaining material and weld do untill its a flush joint

If it was me (and I did this to my old GT Backwoods frame back in the day) I'd leave at least some of the weld since the seat tube piercing the top tube will be adding some added rigidity to the frame and taking the tube all the way to the join may cause problems.

If it was me (and I did this to my old GT Backwoods frame back in the day) I'd leave at least some of the weld since the seat tube piercing the top tube will be adding some added rigidity to the frame and taking the tube all the way to the join may cause problems.

True, who knows what the penetration on the weld is like :)

Ignore what I said and leave 2-3mm sticking proud :D

well what if i grind the weld to a smoother bump like shape so it wont effect the monty seat pad????

also here are some pisc of what i have to play with:

IMGP1872.jpg

IMGP1873.jpg

all replies useful

thanks

(( SORRY BOUT THE SIZE))

Should be ok if you grind it down so theres a few mm above the weld. I'd get a push in plastic seat as the small bit would still be painfull if you fell on it. Change the forks for some alu ones and then i wouldnt do a lot more to it, its only a cheap starters bike and until you feel like you want to or need to i'd change the frame and the wheels. But stick with it on that bike for now until your capabilites have outgrown the bikes.

well what if i grind the weld to a smoother bump like shape so it wont effect the monty seat pad????

also here are some pisc of what i have to play with:

IMGP1872.jpg

IMGP1873.jpg

all replies useful

thanks

(( SORRY BOUT THE SIZE))

wow that is not the type of thing you want to fall off onto.

just grind it down like everybody else says. i think it will work

Yeah I was when i first started and there are some on ebay right now.

Linky to Ebay

Tris

dumbass, theres not point recomending them there the same with a smaller bash, and on the scale of things the weight difference isn't worth it. just stick with what you've got for now. save up and buy one of the new onzas when they come out/when you can afford. if you properly cleaned up that bike, stripped the paint, polished it up, and ground the rims you could probably keep the value when you sell it on (Y) grind the rims anyway though :)