Heatsink Red Cnc Pads

Z o o !!

That piston had a wee crack in it before the pads killed it you know that yeah?

I can tell by the dark metal by the snap.

I second that. If it had snapped clean off in one blow, it would be a brittle fracture, which means the fracture area would be shiny.

Most probably due to creep stress, it bent, then fatigue sets in, and it finally breaks.

What a shame though. My friends at my side have warned me about it cos I guess I'm the only one using cnc backing, but so far so good on the cousts. *Phew, wipes forehead*

I second that. If it had snapped clean off in one blow, it would be a brittle fracture, which means the fracture area would be shiny.

Most probably due to creep stress, it bent, then fatigue sets in, and it finally breaks.

What a shame though. My friends at my side have warned me about it cos I guess I'm the only one using cnc backing, but so far so good on the cousts. *Phew, wipes forehead*

I don't think creep has anything to do with it as creep is a temperature based failure mode where a part is under high static loads for long periods of time. The dark patches are synonymous with fatigue failures, another confirmation is a beaching effect on the fracture face where you can see rings relating to the way the crack propagated though the metal.

I've seen these failures on brakes running standard Magura backings so I wouldn't be confident saying that cnc backings caused this. Infact given how bad the casting detail of these parts is and the number of potential stress risers in the failure region, I'm more tempted to say that it would have broken no matter what pads you had.

it has happend to me many times before with cnc backings but that is down to the fact that my brake had soo much bite and i used to do a lot of manuals and drag my brake a lot (i liked the sound so much :P ) but i wouldnt use a maggie with out them but maguras are crap quality any way so i got a vee soo much better

it has happend to me many times before with cnc backings but that is down to the fact that my brake had soo much bite and i used to do a lot of manuals and drag my brake a lot (i liked the sound so much )

you may laugh...but that reminds me of a jet engine failure I read about where the pilots heard one engine making a nice whiney noise as they flew along... They decided to try and make all of the engines make the same noise by angling themselves into the wind slightly...suddenly all the engines failed due to the vibration (very fast fatigue cycling) and they were f**ked.

so...next time you're on a plane...