Heatsink Red Cnc Pads

Z o o !!

I finally got my hands on some Heatsink cnc red magura pads, i was so excited to get these pads on after hearing all the good reveiws about them, i put them on and i was off out riding for the day, all day these pads were amazing!, bitey as hell, as much lock and hold as you need. Coming towards the end of the day and i was setting up for a sidehop, pull the front wheel up, pull the brake and the usual noise from tjhe pads, all of a sudden the bike whipped from underneath me and found my self flat on my arse. After looking around the brake area there was no pad in one side, we later discovered that this ahd happened :

110520081085.jpg

Now put some koxx brown material in my cnc backs,

110520081086.jpg

post-13376-1210521072_thumb.jpg

Edited by OnzaTrials23

Bugger, unlucky man. Most people get away with using them as Steve seems to have come upon some good dimensions for the backings, unlike the ill-fated RimJam backings which destroyed lots and lots of cyclinders!

I'd just buy a new slave and continue using them, probably just a freak incidence (although I'm sure there's a couple more people out there who have done it with HS backings).

:o Yeah thats an all too common problem with Heatsinks. what i believe is the cause of that is the kinetic energy stress generated from the pad grabbing the rim sidewall, transmitting through the alu backing to the piston. or the piston generating greater kinetic energy stress via the alu backing over a standard plastic backing. thats the risk you run with heatsinks, greater stopping power means that certain mechanical parts are prone to greater stress.

it could be fatigue related...but its hard to tell from the photos.....he has ripped off two of the prongs, which would have taken two seperate cracks..maybe at the corners (tis kinda symmetrical..)

wally (mr rimjam) said that his pads made this happen a few times, because the (think it was a zinc alloy) he was using was quite soft, and after a while the backings had deformed enough to give a substantial "wobble" to the pad. Then when the brake was applied, the backings are actually hitting the guide prongs- nice brittle casting + impact...snap. Not a problem on the heatsinks though, because they are made from a harder material that doesn't deform to the same extent during use...

clearly something has gone wrong though...! did you have the pads quite far away from the rim?

adam

What did the automatic e-mail say?

Basically, it said: Hi, sorry you had to chase your order. There has been a sudden rush of orders so it may take a bit longer for you to receive your item. Extra sweets will be enclosed for people who have had to wait.

That was about 2 weeks ago and i still havn't received them :S

Sam

You what?

My thoughts exactly. The whole post made no sense to me whatsoever.

The broken prongs do look a little like the result of fatigue to me as there seems to be some darker areas on the fracture face which would indicate the presence of a crack prior to the final failure (though could be just shadow).

:oYeah thats an all too common problem with Heatsinks. what i believe is the cause of that is the kinetic energy stress generated from the pad grabbing the rim sidewall, transmitting through the alu backing to the piston. or the piston generating greater kinetic energy stress via the alu backing over a standard plastic backing. thats the risk you run with heatsinks, greater stopping power means that certain mechanical parts are prone to greater stress.

Is it really? Mine have been fine since i bought them nearly 2 years ago :ermm: In fact, the only pads i'd heard to do this were rimjams, save a few incidents with old maguras running the heatsink pads (by old i mean used for a long time and due for replacement, not the old style). I'd imagine your magura was pretty old, the build up of crap around where the nipple is shows they're not the newest of things. I'd whack your red material back in if you were getting on with it, and run it with your replacement slave cylinder. I'd be very suprised if it happened twice.

Mine snapped the prongs off two, only because i snapped the little pin off and carried on ridding so all the pressure was on the two prongs, was bombing it down a hill and dragged my back brake and it just went booom and the leaver pulled in and found it was gone hahah

Yea but seriously just get a piston of a mate or something, round here people have bags of old cyclinders hanging around, usually let you nabb one for free!

Didnt see my vid then? :P

You legend lmfao thats so funny lmfao hahahahah, i loled so much lol

Is it really? Mine have been fine since i bought them nearly 2 years ago :ermm: In fact, the only pads i'd heard to do this were rimjams, save a few incidents with old maguras running the heatsink pads (by old i mean used for a long time and due for replacement, not the old style). I'd imagine your magura was pretty old, the build up of crap around where the nipple is shows they're not the newest of things. I'd whack your red material back in if you were getting on with it, and run it with your replacement slave cylinder. I'd be very suprised if it happened twice.
Rimjams are another alu backing pad that generate alot of stress on the pistons because of their powerful bitting power. just depends how you modulate the braking power ie; if you race down a steep hill and then grab the brakes, well then your asking for trouble.

Rimjams are another alu backing pad that generate alot of stress on the pistons because of their powerful bitting power. just depends how you modulate the braking power ie; if you race down a steep hill and then grab the brakes, well then your asking for trouble.

What difference does having a metal pad backing as opposed to a plastic pad backing have on the 'biting power'?

The pad material is exactly the same, hold may be a different story (less flex...) but an increase in bite? Nahhhhhh....