Onza Forks Let Me Down.

thewoomaster

Like you don't get disc forks breaking there if you're running disc, do you?

No... cos the mount is what causes the stress riser. If you have a disc and 4-bolt fork and run it with a disc on, they more often break at the brake mount than the disc tab.

No... cos the mount is what causes the stress riser. If you have a disc and 4-bolt fork and run it with a disc on, they more often break at the brake mount than the disc tab.

Fair enough. I meant disc + 4-bolt forks, btw, not just "You don't get disc forks cracking at phantom Magura mounts, do you" :P

Fair enough. I meant disc + 4-bolt forks, btw, not just "You don't get disc forks cracking at phantom Magura mounts, do you" :P

They do break there though :blink:

If you run a front maggy without a booster, then it's pretty obvious that it is more likely to brake, but it's not set in stone.

Thats so not true its unreal.

To be fair, theres always going to be areas on the forks that have more stress put on them, be it the steerer tube, crown join, disc tab, 4 bolt mounts. If you weld some 4 bolt mounts to the legs that area will be stiffer than the standard fork leg section that doesn't have mounts so the stress riser will be where the stiff mounts meet the standard leg. Flexing will be at this point so the forks will likely break there. Running a booster won't help at all because its not the action of the brake pushing the legs apart that breaks the forks, its the flex from front wheel moves that flexes the forks at the mount.

So all in all, boosters don't stop forks snapping like that.

I'm currently rather fearing of my DOB forks going in a similar(ish) manner...

Anybody fancy a set of really light and awesome forks?!

Dont be a wuss :P . those onza forks snapped because he wasn't running a booster (N) , plus the Dob has a re-enforced extruded tube inside the length of the fork leg to reduce stress from doing taps and hooks (Y) . no alu forks are bombproof anyway.

Dont be a wuss :P . those onza forks snapped because he wasn't running a booster (N) , plus the Dob has a re-enforced extruded tube inside the length of the fork leg to reduce stress from doing taps and hooks (Y) . no alu forks are bombproof anyway.

I take it you didn't read the post above before you typed?

I take it you didn't read the post above before you typed?
This pc im using at work is very slow in updating new posts. and as i stated before, no alu fork is 100% bombproof from the stresses of modern trials riding.

This pc im using at work is very slow in updating new posts. and as i stated before, no alu fork is 100% bombproof from the stresses of modern trials riding.

I know theres no perfect forks... i said the same. I was just pointing out the no booster = snapped forks rumour is utter shite.

Please don't let this become another trials forum bullshit story.

"Your forks broke above the maggie mounts, if you had a booster on it would have been fine"

It's a load of shit.

lol they snaped with a 6ft 9 bloke who weight is 15 stone or more lol, he was doing endo's on my bike, then they snapped so maggie mounts would'nt have made any diffence lol, plus been runing those forks for 2 years now and they been through alot.

Edited by thewoomaster