Change Chain Side

aaron chase

i dunno...i mean bmxers do it....the only real obstruction would be the lack of a mech hanger ( on stock ) and the direction of the freewheel...i came to the conclusiona while back that it wouldnt work...but if it does ill have a go with it probably

It is doable I think, if you used a left hand drive profile hub.

I don't know if rebuilding a ffw to left hand drive could be done, as the pawls and springs would need to be turned round, but they have the little pin things that fit into the middle shell...

Yeah they would, and pedals if you just ran cranks swapped around.

It'd be do-able if you had like Muel said, a LHD Profile and some left hand drive BMX cranks with the older Goldtech bash & ring combo. Was it goldtech? hmm...

it is 100% do able on mods and modstocks in fact a freind of mine sidehops to the right and kept landing on his driver and smashing the bearings in on his profile so he swaped his 12t profile driver and his right hand drive hubshell for a left hand drive profile hubshell and 10t driver and got some middleburn cranks with the 16t cog and bash so he runs 16 10 gearing instead of the usual 18 12 mod ratio and left hand drive and it runs just perfect and he also uses a hubguard each side to keep his hub safe as he is the a proper basher but loves his stuff to stay in top nick which is understandable

to protect the drivetrain if you do things to your right.

That's why trials bikes have bashguards/rings though.

it is 100% do able on mods and modstocks in fact a freind of mine sidehops to the right and kept landing on his driver and smashing the bearings in on his profile so he swaped his 12t profile driver and his right hand drive hubshell for a left hand drive profile hubshell and 10t driver and got some middleburn cranks with the 16t cog and bash so he runs 16 10 gearing instead of the usual 18 12 mod ratio and left hand drive and it runs just perfect and he also uses a hubguard each side to keep his hub safe as he is the a proper basher but loves his stuff to stay in top nick which is understandable

And breathe...

to protect the drivetrain if you do things to your right.

Rather like how trials forks should have a disc mount on the opposite side, to protect the disc.

thats it!

thats why i want to do it!

my good side is right...

obviusly, it is only availible on magura/v-brake frames (no way with disc)

does anybody have some pic?

Edited by aaron chase

And deeennnn?

Trials forks should definately not get a mount on the wrong side. Even if you do bend the rotor, which is rare, you can just bend it back with your fingers.

It does make sense as it keeps the caliper far more protected (see Tim Steadman's pashley forks before he broke them).

If you wanted to do it on a stock, you could drill a fixed cog so it could be bolted to the disc mounts on the left hand side of the rear hub and use a front freewheel. You'd have to get some cranks with a reverse thread and a LHD bmx freewheel too. or use a huge lockring and reverse the internals of an eno?

Couldn't you just run a fixed rear hub the wrong way round? Something like the new Onza one with the freehub body so you have the splined interface? Though there may be an issue with lockrings undoing if you're not sensible about things.

BMX cranks, sprocket etc would be needed, for the reversed pedal threads required.

Feel free to try - I considered it once, but couldn't really be fecked

I think everyones missed the main point here. Dual drive!

How about running any bmx crank with a 24T sprocket. Most of them are compatible with 24t. And have a left hand drive rear hub or Southpawl ACS 16t. 1.5 ratio is still kept for the mod.

Or 25/ 17 for slightly lighter gearing.

Macneil bash in 25t & 16t LHD Profile would work IF you had the frame clearance. Alternately a Odyssey Hazard Race hub.

Or just run dual drive hub (not flipflop as those are different). A pair of ACS Claws (southpawl for lhd), then whatever bmx cranks up front. Wombolts perhaps? And a quad bearing Euro bb or whatever the hell they're called.

[edit]

Sam i used to use a Odyssey 13t on my old Monty a few years back. That was before i knew about the newer world of trials though.

Edited by eskimo

It does make sense as it keeps the caliper far more protected (see Tim Steadman's pashley forks before he broke them).

When have you ever heard of someone breaking a caliper due to twattage? I have heard of a couple of BB7s going, but that was due to the extreme brakeage.

If theres nothing wrong with the design, don't try and change it.